Goodbye Jesus

Excavating The Empty Tomb

mcdaddy

How Mark's Gospel was written deliberately as fiction, based on Homer's 'The Odyssey'.

• Like 1

I watched through the first 9 parts of this last night before I had to go to bed. There are some really interesting comparisons there, and the link to The Odyssey seems to be more than coincidental. I'll have to watch the rest later today and see what else the series has to present.

I'm pretty much blown away by this. When I first started looking into origins of religion and stuff like that about a year ago, I would find something new and run with it, without really slowing down to stop and take a good critical look at it before just swallowing it whole. Over the last year though I've learned to be more critical than I was at first, I usually look to see if I can find people who disagree with whatever the theory is and find out why to see what holes there are. While I haven't done that exhaustively with this yet, so far what I've turned up shows that this is pretty damn legit.

If this is really what Mark, and hence the rest of the gospels, are based on, then its revolutionary! I always knew they were written by Greeks, with greek motifs etc in them, but, damn. Christianity is just judaism and greek religion swirled together. As I kept watching it, I kept saying to my self, and even out loud, "Woowww....its...all....bullshit!!" (Even though I pretty much knew that already, but this put a nail in the coffin, like he says).

I'd love to see anyone try to refute all of this.

I have to admit that I felt that the first couple of examples given could be dismissed as coincidence. But then it all just kept piling on... and piling on... and I started thinking to myself, "Okay, the guy might actually have a really valid point." I'm looking forward to finishing watching this later.

I watched through the first 9 parts of this last night before I had to go to bed. There are some really interesting comparisons there, and the link to The Odyssey seems to be more than coincidental. I'll have to watch the rest later today and see what else the series has to present.

Which part covers the link to the Odyssey? I wanted to see that but I don't have time to watch them all.

Which part covers the link to the Odyssey? I wanted to see that but I don't have time to watch them all.

Unfortunately, it's spread out over a bunch of parts. I can't point you to one that covers it completely.

Yeah, parts 2-10 cover the similiarities, or really outright copies of The Odyssey. about an hour and a half all together. Videos are based on a book that Im sure went into even more detail. I'm thinking about getting it. He couldnt fit all the info in one segment, as you'll see.

I found this doco myself earlierm but haven't watched it yet. I knew I was about to fall asleep, so I picked something I didn't want to watch as much and fell asleep to it. Might have a little look into it soon :)

Save yourself some bandwidth and time by skipping episode 1. I like the topic but not TruthSurge's style. I went to the Jesus Puzzle website where I could get the info as fast as I want and it's starting to make me think there was no historical Jesus. All this time (since deconverting) I thought Paul was following the popularity of another man named Jesus. Maybe Paul invented Jesus.

Save yourself some bandwidth and time by skipping episode 1. I like the topic but not TruthSurge's style. I went to the Jesus Puzzle website where I could get the info as fast as I want and it's starting to make me think there was no historical Jesus. All this time (since deconverting) I thought Paul was following the popularity of another man named Jesus. Maybe Paul invented Jesus.

Truth surge has another series called Inventing Jesus. It's much shorter.