Goodbye Jesus

Evengelism Is Better Than Sex And Social Media

Inqui

the greatest burden of my life used to be that i had never 'led anyone to christ', and i knew that i would never be able to. i lived in absolute shame because of that. for a while i honestly thought i would go to hell because i couldn't evangelize.

arseholes.

the greatest burden of my life used to be that i had never 'led anyone to christ', and i knew that i would never be able to. i lived in absolute shame because of that. for a while i honestly thought i would go to hell because i couldn't evangelize.

I never did either; however, I never feared going to hell for it. But I prayed so many days and nights, even fasted, to receive the Holy Spirit to such a degree that I could talk to people and they would be convinced of God's power... it never happened. It was one of my biggest dreams, really. How strange. How dumb.

I was a polluting little bastard. I know of at least 3 bible thumpers thumping around out there, probably hopped up on Glen Beck and forcing their daughters to purity balls, as a direct result of my tendency to be passionate about what I think. If only I could have talked about the weather instead...

Ironically, evangelism is what got me thinking about my beliefs in the first place. Some kid I met while street witnessing with my church group challenged my beliefs and I made the decision to fully explore and understand them before I would ever evangelize again. I did and I never did again.

• Like 1

Ironically, evangelism is what got me thinking about my beliefs in the first place. Some kid I met while street witnessing with my church group challenged my beliefs and I made the decision to fully explore and understand them before I would ever evangelize again. I did and I never did again.

That somehow reminds me of the tv campaign

TMYK_138x86.jpg

I was a polluting little bastard. I know of at least 3 bible thumpers thumping around out there, probably hopped up on Glen Beck and forcing their daughters to purity balls, as a direct result of my tendency to be passionate about what I think. If only I could have talked about the weather instead...

Aren't you grateful for that kid? Whoever he is, just reading this made me love him.

• Like 1

Aren't you grateful for that kid? Whoever he is, just reading this made me love him.

Most definitely. He was only 16-17 (my friends and I were in our early 20s-30) and was into Taoism. My friends and I took him to Denny's for a discussion of the bible and he raised issues I'd never heard before. My friends, feeling vulnerable, got irate with him and just started quoting bible verses randomly at him as if they were some sort of weapon -- including the verse about how the word of god does not return void. I, OTH, found myself attempting to defend the guy and I was in a bit of shock at the xian 'love' my friends were dishing out.

My deconversion was a long process, but this was one of the key turning points for me.

Most definitely. He was only 16-17 (my friends and I were in our early 20s-30) and was into Taoism. My friends and I took him to Denny's for a discussion of the bible and he raised issues I'd never heard before. My friends, feeling vulnerable, got irate with him and just started quoting bible verses randomly at him as if they were some sort of weapon -- including the verse about how the word of god does not return void. I, OTH, found myself attempting to defend the guy and I was in a bit of shock at the xian 'love' my friends were dishing out.

My deconversion was a long process, but this was one of the key turning points for me.

I want my kids to be like this, to be prepared if they are ever assaulted by religious people of any stripe.

Me too. After all, the Bible says if you are ashamed of Christ, Christ will be ashamed of you in front of God, and then you're toast. Literally. I always felt like a shit trying to tell people what to think and believe.

This is one of the biggest points of contention for me right now: guilt being tied to sex.

That ANY sex outside of the "sacrament of marriage" ALWAYS leads to guilt.

Or even that talking about/ thinking about sex should make me feel dirty and guilty.

It makes me feel physically sick that I have swallowed this pill for so long and missed out on so much joy and pleasure in my life.

Also having my father repeatedly ask me didn't I think something was wrong with me if I didn't constantly ask people about their faith, pray before meals, or read the bible so I could be a better witness

This is one of the biggest points of contention for me right now: guilt being tied to sex.

That ANY sex outside of the "sacrament of marriage" ALWAYS leads to guilt.

Or even that talking about/ thinking about sex should make me feel dirty and guilty.

It makes me feel physically sick that I have swallowed this pill for so long and missed out on so much joy and pleasure in my life.

The reason you think about sex and want to have sex is because millions of years ago your ancestors, who were rodents at the time, had to breed faster than they could be eaten by predators. All mammals have this instinct. Does God get angry at cats when they go into heat? If you knew the size of the universe our whole planet is only a speck - not even as big as a grain of dust. That a God would create all of this and worry about your sex life, or if you are angry at someone? If it bothers God so much then God wouldn't have made us as little sin bots that must offend him all the time. It's absurd. If certain activities offend God then God would have made it so we couldn't do them - not that we couldn't avoid doing these things.

Sin is nonsense.