Goodbye Jesus

Thinking About Yahweh !

Llwellyn

What if Yahweh were real? What could we say about him then?

Likely the most correct statement about the Christian deity "Yahweh" is that he is a fictional character described in the Bible. He is like the "Evil Queen" from the fairy tale Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, and he merits as much fear and consideration as she does. The most interesting thing about the Christian character Yahweh is that he has curses in his heart that he lays out on humans who don't worship him. He calls it an act of "goodness" to curse other people. He claims to be all powerful and claims that there are no Gods above him.

But if Yahweh were real, we could say that his ideas of good and evil are so different from humans that there should be no reason to expect that his "heaven" would be at all joyful, or that his "hell" would be grievous. If he is real, he is more of a threat to his worshipers than he is to those outside of his kingdom.

What else could we imagine if Yahweh were real?

Here is a little JPG I created:

roflbot (7)

If the old testament Yahweh is real then Jesus is an impostor and we're going to have a bunch of christians burning in hell.....wait though I'm not sure there is an afterlife with Yahweh, nothing changes when you're dead.

If YHWH were real, then we would know nothing about him since the bible's description of him is contradictory and inconsistent.

After my deconversion I concluded that if YHWH was real I still would not want to worship him. I always had a problem with the Biblegod, even as a Christian, I only dared not to admit it to myself. So instead of admitting that YHWH is simply evil I bashed myself for "not understanding" and I drove myself in guilt for my "bad thoughts". Now I see he is not real, however even if he was I'm long past to try to make excuses for him and to accept his tyranny. Who would want to praise such a deity for eternity? I would not. And that while many good people are burning in hell for eternity. I could not stomach that. The only reason I would praise him would be out of fear of hell and that's not a good reason to praise him.

• Like 1

If Yahweh was real, I'd tell him to fuck right off and go bugger himself in a corner, the sadistic bastard. wanker. douchebag.

crap, there's the anger back again... damn.

• Like 1

"If you do not listen, and if you do not set your heart to honor my name, says the LORD Almighty, I will send a curse upon you." ~ Malachi 2:2

We have no motive for obeying a God who has curses in his heart. Not even fear. It is true we have His threats and promises. But why should we believe them? If cursing is from His point of view 'good,' telling lies may be 'good' too. Even if they are true, what then? If His ideas of good are so very different from ours, what He calls Heaven might well be what we should call Hell, and vice-versa. This knot comes undone when you try to pull it tight.

I think Rod Serling and Jerome Bixby got it right.

What if Yahweh is real and his vengeance is therapeutic? Therapeutic not because he desires good for those he curses, but because his cruelty can be used for good? He is like a leech used by a doctor to heal a patient? Even if Yahweh is real and is the malignant force that Christians say that he is, he could be something for our good, even if he doesn't intend it to be so.

After my deconversion I concluded that if YHWH was real I still would not want to worship him. I always had a problem with the Biblegod, even as a Christian, I only dared not to admit it to myself. So instead of admitting that YHWH is simply evil I bashed myself for "not understanding" and I drove myself in guilt for my "bad thoughts". Now I see he is not real, however even if he was I'm long past to try to make excuses for him and to accept his tyranny. Who would want to praise such a deity for eternity? I would not. And that while many good people are burning in hell for eternity. I could not stomach that. The only reason I would praise him would be out of fear of hell and that's not a good reason to praise him.

Basically, this. Except I remain agnostic about YHWH. Still, even if I were ever faced with him, I'd spit in his eye and tell him to go fuck himself. Such a capricious, sadistic, nasty creature is not worthy of respect, much less worship.

What if Yahweh were real? What could we say about him then?

That he's a piece of shit.

If the God described in the Bible were real, it would become necessary to rebel against him. Even against impossible odds, I could not do anything but fight such an evil being to my death rather than bend knee. I am thankful that he does not exist.

what if.....Yahweh...started out as an urban legend like candleja

And the legend just grew into an all powerful vengeful being. Then along comes some random street preacher/faith healer/occult master and the powers that be grab onto his story and morph it with already known narratives.

So then we have the entirety of the Abrahamic religions bases on the "calls were coming from inside the house".