Goodbye Jesus

A "personal" Relationship With Jesus Christ

sethosayher

1. I don't think other faiths have quite the "buddy/lover Jesus" vibe that Christianity does, but I've known some pagans who felt their various deities were a real and friendly force in their lives. I think they may get that idea from Christianity, though. It's kind of an eclectic thing; reconstructionists don't usually get that touchy-feely. I don't know of any other faith systems that really get up-close-and-personal with a deity.

I’m semi-pagan... I don't belong to any organized traditions, I just do stuff my own way. Even then, it's not an everyday thing for me. I don't believe in a literal God/Goddess... I've come to think of them as symbols/metaphors for nature and the world around us. I observe the various festivals (for instance, Beltane is coming up at the end of the month) but I don't actually worship anything on such days... I just think it's fun to reflect and celebrate the changing seasons.

I genuinely don't think Christianity had that idea until really recently--you read the Church Fathers and earliest writings and none of them really get all that gooey over Jesus. Frankly, I find the whole thing weirdly and disturbingly emasculating to men; if one cried his eyes out at me and said he was in love with Jesus, I'd be completely turned off.

If you think it's weird, just imagine how how it is for the average straight guy to make sense of all that. If you tell a guy that he's supposed to be the "bride" of christ, it's definitely a WTF moment. If we are supposed to be in special relationship with Jesus, then he is cheating on us with everyone else.

If Jesus wants a personal relationship with me, the beard is gonna have to go.

What about his other male characteristics? Even when I was still an Old Order Mennonite it occurred to me that this emphasis of Jesus as the bridegroom works fine for us women, but what about the men?

Umm...O.K. The penis has to go, too. And the Adam's apple. And try to grow some boobs.

If you think it's weird, just imagine how how it is for the average straight guy to make sense of all that. If you tell a guy that he's supposed to be the "bride" of christ, it's definitely a WTF moment. If we are supposed to be in special relationship with Jesus, then he is cheating on us with everyone else.

Yeah, that was always kind of weird for me. I was never able to have what I would consider a relationship with Jesus, though not for lack of trying. I did an awful lot of talking to him, but he never once answered. And I always thought it was really weird to be called the "bride" of Christ. I am nobody's bride. End of story.

The whole "personal relationship" thing is just bizarre. Its strange because its just like an imaginary person in your head, but you are supposed to believe its real.

I felt like I had someone who loved me more than anything unconditionally, no matter how badly I messed up. I thought Jesus really knew me because he knew my intentions and knew when I did badly, I wasn't a bad person.

I really really wanted to have that kind of relationship, but I couldn't ever attain it though. At its best, there were feelings of strong admiration and wonder, and a fascination with the depth of his sacrifices and willingness to forgive the people that hurt him.

But knowing he and God the father were the same, and there being a judgment, and having lots of unsaved friends and family members, my good feelings were always perpetually tempered with horror.

Well, the good news is, since this wasn't an actual relationship and something I made up, it means those nice feelings were actually real. Since then I've been able to recreate them, though I don't have the relationship bent on it anymore.

If Jesus wants a personal relationship with me, the beard is gonna have to go.

What about his other male characteristics? Even when I was still an Old Order Mennonite it occurred to me that this emphasis of Jesus as the bridegroom works fine for us women, but what about the men?

Umm...O.K. The penis has to go, too. And the Adam's apple. And try to grow some boobs.

I googled for an image of ladyboy Jesus and came up with this:

jesus-ladyboy2.jpg

He still has the beard, but I highly recommend doing the search yourself with safe search in off mode. It's quite fun and enlightening.

Hello. Sometimes I miss praying. I am severely disabled with brain damage and get lonely so it was nice to have the feeling I wasn't alone. But looking back, the whole experience was no different from when I had imaginary friends when I was younger. I think my praying was more an inner reflection, and a way to voice my worries before going to sleep, sort of emptying my head of worries so I could sleep. I think a personal relationship cannot be personal if you are essentially talking to yourself. Now I always try to talk to real people. I do talk to my dogs though, is that okay? Hugs and wheelies

Hello. Sometimes I miss praying. I am severely disabled with brain damage and get lonely so it was nice to have the feeling I wasn't alone. But looking back, the whole experience was no different from when I had imaginary friends when I was younger. I think my praying was more an inner reflection, and a way to voice my worries before going to sleep, sort of emptying my head of worries so I could sleep. I think a personal relationship cannot be personal if you are essentially talking to yourself. Now I always try to talk to real people. I do talk to my dogs though, is that okay? Hugs and wheelies

It's perfectly fine to talk to dogs. They're REAL and they love you unconditionally — unlike certain gods I could mention.

P.S. I talk to a couple of cats several times a day, and I understand wheelies. I'm disabled, too. It's nice to have another animal-talker-on-wheels here. Welcome!

in 29 years of being a Christian, I can say with absolute certainty that my personal relationship with my cats has been more fulfilling than any relationship I thought might have had with Jesus. They gave me comfort and solace when wotzizname upstairs couldn't be bothered.

Incidentally, watched a horrifying documentary on Haiti last night. If I needed any reinforcement as to the inability of God to care for humanity enough to intervene even once in a miraculous way, that was it. No loving God could look at that unfortunate region and not be moved to help relieve suffering. A god who does not is no loving god. Simples.

• Like 1