Goodbye Jesus

A question for you smart ppl

scitsofreaky

I don't know why it took me so long to actually think of this, but a few months ago in a book I was reading the author, Ken Wilber, briefly mentions that the ritual eating of the flesh and drinking of the blood that is described in The Babble is just a ripoff of an older pagan(or whatever) ritual. Does anyone know anything about this? If not (or even if so), any good places (preferably online) to look?

....did you want them in alphabetical order, or just as we think of them? :Hmm:

Just some examples would be nice, and dates if you have them.

Well, I don't actually have references available and I don't know if it is true, but I've heard modern Pagans claim that the "this is my body (bread) and this is my blood (wine)" tradition comes from earlier Pagan rituals involving vegetation deities.

To me, anyway, it makes a lot more sense for a god of the harvest to refer to grain as his body and wine as his blood, than it does for Jesus to. Since it is fact that most, if not all of Christianity is stolen from older religions, I can believe it.

Mithras 3000BC

This is my favorite website. (I got my avatar from it) He's not finished with the site, but he gives lots and lots of books as references for his information which most of them I have read.

Another online site that gives lots of info (but I don't know where in the site would be the answer to your question) is Jesus Never Existed

Consider also rituals where hallucinogins are consumed to get nearer to the gods.

Food of the gods, if you will.

A gathering, praying, passing a bowl of bitter milky liquid around with each member of the party taking a sip.

Isn't it a parallel ?

Thanks for the links and ideas guys. I'll do some searching and see what I can find.

I don't know why it took me so long to actually think of this, but a few months ago in a book I was reading the author, Ken Wilber, briefly mentions that the ritual eating of the flesh and drinking of the blood that is described in The Babble is just a ripoff of an older pagan(or whatever) ritual. Does anyone know anything about this? If not (or even if so), any good places (preferably online) to look?

and it is also prohibited by the OT

Mithras 3000BC

This is my favorite website. (I got my avatar from it) He's not finished with the site, but he gives lots and lots of books as references for his information which most of them I have read.

Another online site that gives lots of info (but I don't know where in the site would be the answer to your question) is Jesus Never Existed

That is indeed a great site. In doing a bit of searching on that topic, I find it interesting that Justin Martyr, who lived and wrote from 100-165AD, defended against similar 'pagan' saviours like Mithras and Perseus by claiming that they merely imitated Daniel and Isaiah (as opposed to actually 'fulfilling' their prophecies. Now this was a century after Christ's death. Why not say that they copied Jesus? Instead he gives them legitimacy by acknowledging that, although they were somewhat contemporary with Christ, they were merely imitations. Instead of refuting their claims as to fulfilling OT prophecy, he merely states that they are counterfeit! In other words, their religious claims actually met the test of prophetic fulfillment every bit as much as Jesus did, but were brushed off as illegitimate.

Good reading.

"Refuse pits accompanying Mithraic sites indicate that feasting was part of their ritual, and the drinking of the bull's blood; if no bull was available, other animals were used, or bread and fish were used as substitutes for meat, and wine for blood.

They believed that by eating the bull's flesh and drinking its blood they would be born again just as life itself had once been created anew from the bull's blood. "

http://www.borndigital.com/tarsus.htm

Bread for flesh, check

Fish, check

Wine for blood, check

"born again", check

Sound vaguely familiar ?

• 2 months later...

There are a lot of great sources for the Pagan origin of Christ. The site below is a good start.

POCM

According to my recent readings (see below), the "body & blood" guzzling was a common feature of most savior cults (Mithras, Attis, Dionysus, et al). The assumption is that it was an adaptation of common prehistoric rituals celebrating the vegetation god or goddess who was reborn each spring (such as Persephone). The resurrection or rebirth rites of most "savior gods" were celebrated in the spring.

pertinent books:

The Ancient Mysteries, A Sourcebook of Sacred Texts; Marvin W. Meyer

Myth & Mystery, An Introduction to the Pagan Religions of the Biblical World; Jack Finegan