Goodbye Jesus

Going Back To College

PandaPirate

So, here I am, nearly 42 years old and I've been wanting to go back and finish my degree. So, I got readmitted and registered for the summer. I've about 2, maybe 2.5 years to go.

But check out the radical Intro to Philosopy class I get to take for one of my GenEd courses!

Summer 2012

Introduction to Philosophy

PHI 2010

An Introduction to Philosophy through Film…

Textbook : THERE IS NO TEXT BOOK FOR THIS COURSE!!!!

All required readings will be made available in the form of Adobe Acrobat documents on the course’s E Learning web page!!!

YAY!!! You have easily saved 100 bucks in text book costs!

Course Description:

This course will provide an introduction to Metaphysics, Epistemology, Ethics and our human condition through the lens of contemporary cinema.

“Films can be used to do philosophy in many ways. They can be used as illustrations of philosophical problems; as ways of testing philosophical theories; as ways of running philosophical thought experiments; as suppliers of interesting puzzles or phenomena, things in need of philosophical examination; as ways of getting clear about the significance of philosophical issues, or ways of getting clear about philosophical possibilities.”

--Damian Cox and Michael P. Levine

Course Description:

This course will provide an introduction to Philosophy through an examination of Metaphysics, Epistemology, Ethics and the human condition.

Course Format: This course is entirely via the internet. From the course home page you will access all links for: assignments, chat sessions, discussion boards; and links to additional course material content and resources. The instructional modules, discussion boards and Essay Exams are designed to allow students to devise a schedule and a pace of study that will fit their personal schedule within a weekly time frame.

Discussion boards: This feature allows students to interact and share thoughts, questions and ideas in regard to the assigned reading materials and essay assignments. The primary goal of the discussion boards is to assist the student in building a basic understanding of the philosophical questions, concepts, problems and arguments encountered in the assigned readings and lecture material. In turn, this will provide the student with the knowledge and tools needed to engage in the essay exams.

Films: Some of you might be somewhat familiar with the story lines of the films listed in our syllabus. However, if you are not familiar with a particular film, it is recommended you should locate, borrow or rent the DVD, and view the film. This course will take cinema as beginning point for the discussion of philosophy.

“Films can be used to do philosophy in many ways. They can be used as illustrations of philosophical problems; as ways of testing philosophical theories; as ways of running philosophical thought experiments; as suppliers of interesting puzzles or phenomena, things in need of philosophical examination; as ways of getting clear about the significance of philosophical issues, or ways of getting clear about philosophical possibilities.”

--Damian Cox and Michael P. Levine

Good for you for going back to school!!!!! clap.gif It thrills me to see people pursuing their goals and dreams.

This philosophy course looks amazing!! Enjoy!!!

You go girl! that's awesome!! I wish I was taking the class with you!! Best of good wishes to you!

I think if I took philosophy my head would explode. Sociology already changed the way I think (and helped lead to my deconversion) and I'll be taking psychology next semester. I think philosophy gets waaaaay deeper than I'm ready for right now.

Yesh! Congrats on going back to school and that course looks amazing!