Goodbye Jesus

Hello From A Mountain Man

GodlessX

So, I was raised as a Unitarian -- doesn't count, right? "Intellectuals playing church." I know. My folks are both still UU ministers now and then. I don't think either of them belive in God(s) anymore.

When I was a kid in the 70s I did go to Sunday school whenever I couldn't find a way out of it. Presbyterian. Singing boring songs. I don't think that I ever really believed in God. I don't recall thinking that the thing was real.

In the 80s-90s I did a stint in Alcoholics Anonymous. It is Christian regardless of what they tell you. It is based on Christian theology, clearly and in no uncertain terms. I was never a good member. I was one of those who just "didn't get it." After some time on and off, mostly off -- I finally "got it." Now I get it -- there is nothing there to get in the first place.

I tried a bit with the New Age hippies -- nice people but they are embarrassingly corny.

I have gone to meeting and congregations of various different religious groups. The Hare Krishnas have good food. I went with a guy from work to a Pentecostal gig a few times. I was not really impressed with the people doing the drop and flop or babbling incoherently.

The Moonies were fun. I got invited to one of their meetings. I went with a friend -- we were hammered and got in a fight. We were both big guys and and it really put a damper on the attempt to love bomb us. Tables and chairs flying and a bunch of Moonies not knowing how to handle it.

Around 2000 I started reading about the possibility of atheist groups starting. I agreed with the people who thought it was like “herding cats.” I thought that atheists are independent, not joiners, not group people, and such cohesion was unlikely.

I’m happy to say that I was wrong about that.

I went with a guy from work to a Pentecostal gig a few times. I was not really impressed with the people doing the drop and flop or babbling incoherently.

:lmao:

Welcome, GodlessX! I enjoyed reading your testimony. It seems you are one of the lucky ones who never really believed the myth. I look forward to future posts and hope you find this a good place to be!

So, I was raised as a Unitarian -- doesn't count, right?

Fortunately I lost my delusion about "real True Christians" right around the time I stopped worshiping the Bible. Welcome to ex-C! It's good to have you.

"Intellectuals playing church." I know. My folks are both still UU ministers now and then. I don't think either of them belive in God(s) anymore.

When I was a kid in the 70s I did go to Sunday school whenever I couldn't find a way out of it. Presbyterian. Singing boring songs. I don't think that I ever really believed in God. I don't recall thinking that the thing was real.

Nothing wrong with being an atheist.

In the 80s-90s I did a stint in Alcoholics Anonymous. It is Christian regardless of what they tell you. It is based on Christian theology, clearly and in no uncertain terms. I was never a good member. I was one of those who just "didn't get it." After some time on and off, mostly off -- I finally "got it." Now I get it -- there is nothing there to get in the first place.

I tried a bit with the New Age hippies -- nice people but they are embarrassingly corny.

I have gone to meeting and congregations of various different religious groups. The Hare Krishnas have good food. I went with a guy from work to a Pentecostal gig a few times. I was not really impressed with the people doing the drop and flop or babbling incoherently.

The Moonies were fun. I got invited to one of their meetings. I went with a friend -- we were hammered and got in a fight. We were both big guys and and it really put a damper on the attempt to love bomb us. Tables and chairs flying and a bunch of Moonies not knowing how to handle it.

Around 2000 I started reading about the possibility of atheist groups starting. I agreed with the people who thought it was like “herding cats.” I thought that atheists are independent, not joiners, not group people, and such cohesion was unlikely.

Good to hear from you.

Thank you folks,

I really don't know for sure whether is was AA or the hippie new age stuff that had me more sucked in. AA is more hostile toward de-converts, that's for sure. The hippies -- they really don't seem to care. They just smoke their weed and tune in to crystal power and all that jive.

Speaking of weed -- I did find, in my short time with the Pentecostals -- some of them smoke pot. I was surprised to discover that -- unexpected. I can, however, see how being stoned could get one in the mood to engage in a little glossolalia.

I would say it is more difficult to get atheists to assemble in real life than on an internet forum. Some of us have to really think hard to get off our asses and go meet with like-minded people. It's a shame, really. I haven't found a single atheist group that meets regularly enough for me to join in my area. The closest thing I can find is a naturalist group...

Welcome to Ex-C by the way!

Greetings! Welcome. Sounds like quite the wandering journey to me. I don't know that much about UUs but I don't think I'd be really patient with being a member either. The whole denomination sounds like a colossal waste of a perfectly nice weekend morning to me, no offense.

Speaking of weed -- I did find, in my short time with the Pentecostals -- some of them smoke pot. I was surprised to discover that -- unexpected. I can, however, see how being stoned could get one in the mood to engage in a little glossolalia.

I admit that blew my mind. But it shouldn't have. I knew Pentecostals (I was UPC) who were utterly indistinguishable from "worldly" people during the week. At first I was shocked about seeing female members in jeans and listening to Madonna (it was the 80s-90s), but eventually I got over myself.