Goodbye Jesus

Evangelicals As Heretics?

stryper

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/14/150437554/heretics-the-crisis-of-american-christianity

Briefly,

According to the author, the prosperity gospel, Eat, Pray, Love, and many other "christians" are heretics. They don't preach what the bible tells. They preach what is convenient and palatable to them.

Is anyone really surprised by that?

The only true Christians are Westboro Baptist Church. at least that's what I got out of reading the bible cover to cover.

• Like 4

• Super Moderator

The only true Christians are Westboro Baptist Church. at least that's what I got out of reading the bible cover to cover.

I totally agree!

They preach what is convenient and palatable to them.

No.

yessssss

Everybody's a heretic in somebody eyes. I'm probably a heretic atheist to the "True Atheists."

Eat Pray Love talks about Hindu spirituality in the Pray section. Never claims to be christian. I have seen the movie and read the book.

Eat Pray Love talks about Hindu spirituality in the Pray section. Never claims to be christian. I have seen the movie and read the book.

The only thing I know about that movie is that Julia Roberts just up and leaves her husband/boyfriend guy and heads off to Europe. I had no idea there was actually spirituality involved at all.

Guest Valk0010

http://www.npr.org/2...an-christianity

Briefly,

According to the author, the prosperity gospel, Eat, Pray, Love, and many other "christians" are heretics. They don't preach what the bible tells. They preach what is convenient and palatable to them.

The term heresy is a form of convenience. Its like Nazi's calling some correct form of science that disagrees with them "jewish science."

Evangelicals for a long time were considered not only heretics but also a sect in my country by mainstream Christians. Mainstream in my country is Catholicism, Lutheranism and Calvinism. But mainly Catholicism - about 70-80 % of the population is Catholic, although most only nominally. I think they are more accepted by now, but with Christianity the thing is: it's always your denomination that is the right one and others are heretics.

Everybody's a heretic in somebody eyes. I'm probably a heretic atheist to the "True Atheists."

Yes, you are! And I will unpray for you too!

• Like 1

is that like an unbirthday

They don't preach what the bible tells. They preach what is convenient and palatable to them.

Nope.

In general, people believe whatever they find comforting. And the Bible is anything but comforting.

There is an ongoing discussion between the author of this book and Will Saletan of Slate.com. http://www.slate.com...n_culture_.html Saletan is a liberal on the secular side having a dialog that's still going on with the author of the book on a daily basis. It's worthwhile reading to hear their thoughts.

There is an ongoing discussion between the author of this book and Will Saletan of Slate.com. http://www.slate.com...n_culture_.html Saletan is a liberal on the secular side having a dialog that's still going on with the author of the book on a daily basis. It's worthwhile reading to hear their thoughts.

From the referenced article:

What’s the difference between orthodoxy and fundamentalism? Why should people who reject fundamentalism open their minds to orthodoxy?

That is an excellent question.