Goodbye Jesus

Some Inspiration

Wings

Hi all,

if you've read any of my posts you know that I'm recently deconverted (in the last year) and one of the things I'm struggling with is that whole "finding the meaning" of life that many of us lose when we lose our faith.

What's the point of going on? What's the point of having hope? What is there to hope for? Etc. etc. etc.

Well, I ran across this quote today and it hit home, so I wanted to share.

My friends, love is better than anger.

Hope is better than fear.

Optimism is better than despair.

So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic.

And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

I think it resonates with me because I've wondered- what is the point? Well, I recognize that since I am here I should make the most of it, and the meaning is to be found in the life I live (rather than the afterlife). When I feel really crappy about it all and the antidepressants aren't doing their job, I can boil it down to knowing that well, loving is just better than anger and hope is better than fear. And so I'd rather have hope and optimism and attract good things. "Hoping" you do as well :)

Have a great day! ~Kristen

*Jack Layton was a liberal Canadian politician, the leader of a party which was a complete underdog but totally swept through and became the main opposition party in our last election (we have a little diff system than in the US, but 3 main parties instead of two, and essentially they became #2!) He was visibly ill during the whole race and after they won he stepped down, announcing that he was fighting cancer. Although he did belong to a church and described himself as 'spiritual', he never let it influence his politics and he was warmly open to all religions, especially since so many people from so many different backgrounds offered prayers for him. He was definitely a man who lived in this life, less than the next, and even his hardest-fought opponents cried when he died.

• Like 1

Thanks kristen. That is a beautiful quote and story

Yay Jack!! He is missed. I too liked that quote a lot. I too am finding that life is what you make it. Life is like tofu: it has a flavor all its own but takes on new tastes easily that make it even better.

• Like 1