Goodbye Jesus

On The Run From God

aviator

When telling Christians of my recent unbelief, I have found on more than one occasion I'm met with a response something along the lines of "it's okay - I went in the run from god once, but I came back in the end".

Why do they assume that I'm "on the run" from god? That would imply disobedience from something that I still believe in. How I wish I could open people's eyes to understand how clear things look on the deconverted side. Of course, this would be faith destroying, and I have no wish to do that to people. However I'm sure they must be thinking "the bible warns us that people will apostate in the end times, another prophecy coming true before my very eyes...". If anything it'll probably strengthen their faith (thank god it's not me that's the apostate etc).

Problem is, when asked what I beleive in now, I can't give an answer. I'm still making my mind up. I don't think that I'll ever truly believe in anything now unless the evidence is shown.

At the moment, I'm utterly confused. Maybe they're right - I will go back in the end. But right now, I can't see that happening.

Once you know what I know, you can't go back. Well, if I forgot it all I could I guess.

I agree--once we've found the red and white suit and fake beard at the back of the parents' closet, it's impossible to go back to believing in Santa Claus.

I think the reason Christians have this view is that they see being Christian as being a natural state or neutral position; it is their reference point. When you return to your right mind (so the thinking goes) you will return to your faith in God. Atheists are in a deficit, in their perspective.

At least that's how I used to think when I was a fundy.

• Super Moderator

Reminds me of my mother telling me I'm "just going through a phase." This phase has lasted over 40 years now!

Why do they assume that I'm "on the run" from god?

It's all part of the culture of guilt and it's the only way they can rationalize what you've done. Guilt is a prime motivator in religion.

Problem is, when asked what I beleive in now, I can't give an answer. I'm still making my mind up. I don't think that I'll ever truly believe in anything now unless the evidence is shown.

I tell them that "belief" is the wrong word. My world view is based on knowledge, not belief.

• Like 1

When telling Christians of my recent unbelief, I have found on more than one occasion I'm met with a response something along the lines of "it's okay - I went in the run from god once, but I came back in the end".

Why do they assume that I'm "on the run" from god? That would imply disobedience from something that I still believe in.

Other ex-Christians on here mentioned how they went through rebellious teenage years while still believing in Christianity, then later as adults returned to the faith that they still believed in but hadn't paid much attention to. Indeed, it's supposedly very common for people to ignore their religion for a while, then return to paying active attention to it as later adults. The "become more Christian as they get older" thing.

Also, one ex-Christian, in his testimony, mentioned that during his rebellious teens/early 20s, he told people he didn't believe in Jesus even though he actually did. He was simply a rebelling Christian. Later, he became full Christian. It wasn't until much later, when he actually did stop believing in it, that he realized "holy shit, there really are people who actually don't believe in this stuff".

So, I'm guessing that because many Christians go through a brief rebellious phase in their own lives, that they assume anyone who claims not to believe in Christianity is faking it like they were, or temporarily just choosing to ignore their own faith and not be involved with it.

I think that's what the insanely zealous preachers who claim to have been atheists actually were. You don't go from atheist to crazy like that, but in their present crazy state they equate "not caring about religion" to atheism.

I guess the best way to handle them is to give them a quick well thought out summery as to why you don't believe in god. Be able to show them its not rebellion.

I hear Christians say this a lot, "what do you believe in now?" who says we have to believe in something? I don't. Which they normally respond with "oh you're life must be so empty and meaningless" ugh. Or another favourite thing they say "don't you want to be part of a group? Be a part of something great?" which I reply with, "I'm part of the human race, and with people like you around, it's a race we seem to be loosing."

• Like 1

the bible says that people know in their heart that god is real but if left alone then there is no way that they become christian. given enoughknowledge of the world theywiuld be athiest. why is atheism the only religion that requires no evangelist. we are runningaway from god to common sense.

They come from a position that God is real. They presume that you know that since you were a Christian.

To them it's like if I suddenly started denying Ouroboros exists. People here would think I was either lying or delusional, and I'm probably upset with him because I don't want to follow forum rules or something.

And yes, there would be a healthy round of jokes about it. :P

(Sorry Ouro, you're the first mod that came to my mind so you got to be my analogy subject.)

So there is no way to open their eyes. Like most insane people, they live in a reality all their own.

who says we have to believe in something? I don't. Which they normally respond with "oh you're life must be so empty and meaningless" ugh.

I've had similar to this already. I felt immense freedom when leaving the church but I was told that actually I would find this not to be the case, and that I would be truly free by returning to the church.

Or they say "You just don't want to accept the hard teachings of Jesus"

really, its more like accepting that the hard teachings were really just abusive teachings.

Like I'm a wuss because I no longer want to keep getting abused? Well then I'm a wuss then!

Thanks all for your fantastic replies. I am still surprised by people's reactions in the sense that it's a very black and white view of my unbelief. Just because I can't accept Christianity it doesn't mean I don't believe in a god (I think there still is something, just don't know what). It's almost like, if I beleive in god then they can't understand the problem. It's fairly simple - its the theology that's that problem for me at the moment, not the idea of a god.

Thanks all for your fantastic replies. I am still surprised by people's reactions in the sense that it's a very black and white view of my unbelief. Just because I can't accept Christianity it doesn't mean I don't believe in a god (I think there still is something, just don't know what). It's almost like, if I beleive in god then they can't understand the problem. It's fairly simple - its the theology that's that problem for me at the moment, not the idea of a god.

This is where I started. I like the idea that there may be more to this life but I think religion is so far from reality its hard o take it seriously. Every religion is bound by some stupid superstition or irrational belief which taints the idea of a creator. You en up not seeing the forest for the trees. To poke fun at the idea, and quote hitchens

"All of this could be part of a plan, there is no way an atheist can prove it's not. But it's some plan, isn't it? With mass destruction, pitiless extermination, annihilation going on all the time and all of this set in motion on a scale that is absolutely beyond our imagination, in order that the pope can tell people not to jerk off"

I think it's really okay to say "I don't know what I believe. I just know for sure what I don't!"

Says the woman who has only told my non xtian friends and husband. tongue.png

I entertain no delusions that this 'coming' out' process won't be messy!

Hi Aviator,

Don't let their nonsense statements of "running away from God" coerce you into going back. It's stupid that they would even say that. As Chikirin mentioned, maybe you are getting away from abusive teachings, not God? But I think many xians put their bible & belief system right up there with God, so I guess in their minds anyone who dares to question or walk away from the "faith" is walking away from God. Believers don't even consider that they can could be wrong.

I'm glad you are getting away because the more you are distanced from it the clearer your mind will be able to actually think without the religious chatter.

Once I got away & started reading -forbidden- information such as on bible contradictions, the history of christianity, etc.

I knew I had found too much truth to ever go back to the death cult of bible religion.

Give yourself a chance to clear your mind of the bible indoctrinations...then you can see what happens. :D