Goodbye Jesus

I Might Have Made A Mistake.

Guest Valk0010

Guest Valk0010

I have a young ten year old nephew. He is a very very surpisingly mature and freethinking kid. He even claimed as a joke to invent his own religion. It upsets me however, how much of a fundementalist his dad is. His mom wouldn't cared less that I did what I thought about doing, but his dad would have killed me.

I don't care about how he thinks in regards to thinks, I am just glad he thinks. I just wanted to help him with being able to deal with being in the minority and being able to stand up for himself, if he decides to challenge his dad in that area. I thought as he was in my house today, to let him borrow my copy of Letters to a Young Contrarian.

I flipped thru the book and realized he probably wouldn't get it, it also had typical Hitchens style comments on religion(which I had forgotten about since I read it). I went into panic mode, because I already sort of suggested the idea. Then I realized, well I am in for it, I might as well ride it out. So I did, I told him, on second thought I am not sure if its at your reading level, and I thought his dad would kill me if he found reading this. And I told him why I believed that. Saying things about how he doesn't really like people disagreeing with him. I tried talking to his dad about religion and got screamed at myself. And I asked him to keep it a secret and lets end this converation. I more or less told him, I can't let him to borrow the book because his dad couldn't deal with the subject matter. While not exactly diplomatic, I didn't lie about it. I am just wondering if I should be worried. Or maybe in a wierd way I did what I wanted. I encouraged him to think regardless of his authority. I have a really wierd confidence in this kid. But now i am worried i might of opened a can of worms.

Valk

People have died for less. But seriously, from what I've read in your post I'm guessing you have nothing to worry about except maybe a little heated word exchange.

Anyway, I hope the kid doesn't take after his father. Hell, maybe you have been a good enough mentor to help the kid see life through a more rational window.

As for making a mistake - join the club. Your intention was in the right place. I say just let things be and see what happens. You were honest, and I think age 10 kids are old enough to see that. Kids are pretty smart.

I would say, yes, you did what you wanted. I think it was rather brave of you.

Guest Valk0010

I called my grandma and gave my nuts and bolts of the conversation and she said there wasn't anything to worry about. I feel okay.

• Like 1

I have learned that children will respect those who are honest with them. And they know when someone is not being honest with them. You did the right thing. :)