Goodbye Jesus

Analytical Thinking Weakens Religious Belief

dbiss76

I came across an article today on a recent study where it was determined that analytical thinking weakens religious belief. As I am currently in the early stages of my deconversion... I find myself constantly questioning why I am doing this. I don't want to disbelieve.. I just can't help it. The story doesn't make sense. The facts don't add up. And I can't stop asking questions that lead to answers that disprove Christianity.

Anyway, the article was interesting, but what I found even more intriguing were the comments. What an unbelievably humorous debate!

If you have time, check it out:

http://healthland.time.com/2012/04/27/losing-your-religion-analytic-thinking-weakens-religious-belief/

I also read some of the comments via the same article on CNN:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/27/study-analytic-thinking-can-decrease-religious-belief/

My favorite part was:

•  
    Ricky L

Einstein believed in God.
    April 27, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |

•  
    Jespo

@RICKY...BE TRUTHFUL IN YOUR STATEMENTS, NOT MISLEADING......I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. (Albert Einstein, 1954)
    April 27, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |

•  
    Lucifer's Evil Twin

@Jespo – beat me to the quote, lol
    April 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |

•  
    mandarax

Oh, Jespo, you and your facts. Facts don't mean anything in a debate about religion!
    April 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |

Someone else spoke about how grateful they were that such big networks were openly discussing Religion... That it needs to be talked about... and I totally agree. I think half of us "Christians", "ex-christians", Muslims, Buddhists, whatever.. would find such a clearer peace if we could talk without such hostility toward each other. For so long, I wished to talk to someone about the questions I've had... ultimately, I resorted to the internet and found ex-christian.net (thankfully!).

To end my rant, I hope that by these networks publishing this article, we can slowly take the steps to look past religion and just live!

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Interesting take on the study. I had seen that one reported on some time ago, but the spin was 'intuitive' thinking vs not. 'analytical' was not brought into it.

problem is this study was not done in the USA. Ill consider it progress when MIT does this study and it run on the front page of USA today. I love that time ran the article. I think the best thing to do is to show people that they are not crazy for doubting religions silly stories and false prophecies. This article takes a bit of the luster out of religion and at least can start some one on the path to seeing the psychological reasons behind the success of religion. eventually it wont have a leg left to stand on. In 2012 youve gotta do better that talking animals and a 6000 year old earth

This study was done at my alma mater so it must be true. smile.png

Seeing this article got me thinking about what else is out there by these authors. I found a whole journal devoted to the psychology of religion. It's a frickin' goldmine! <drooling>

I have not read the original research article (just the provided links) and they do make an interesting point. I guess the moral of the story for religion is: don't think! Sure got me into trouble.....

All I have to say in response to the title of this thread: No shit, Sherlock.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

You gotta check out the comments in these articles. Christian Defense Mode activate!

It sounds as though the psychologists quoted are using "intuitive" differently from the way philosophers use it. It's hard to see how "intuitive" , at least as the study was reported, doesn't just boil down to "emotional." As though it's inferior to analytical thinking. But not all intuition is inferior. It's faster. Intuition can involve a flash of insight into a conclusion that could be justified later by analysis - as when you "just see" something in math, and later you can do the proof. When you intuit that something is ethical or not, you can offer a justification later on. Of course, religious claims are hard pressed when it comes to justifying them.

Seeing this article got me thinking about what else is out there by these authors. I found a whole journal devoted to the psychology of religion. It's a frickin' goldmine! <drooling>

could you please send me the link? I would love to check it out!

All I have to say in response to the title of this thread: No shit, Sherlock.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

yeah well, I guess I'm just not as far along as you two smile.png

"...and vice-versa" should be added to the title.

I found a whole journal devoted to the psychology of religion.

could you please send me the link? I would love to check it out!

http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/rel/index.aspx

If you have access to a university or college library you can probably get free access to the academic articles via their paid subscription to the research databases. If I have time I'll summarize some of the more interesting findings. There is one that links obsessive compulsive disorder and religion, which has been discussed numerous times at Ex-C.

There is one that links obsessive compulsive disorder and religion, which has been discussed numerous times at Ex-C.

I would love to see that. To be honest, I feel like I could probably relate.

There is one that links obsessive compulsive disorder and religion, which has been discussed numerous times at Ex-C.

I would love to see that. To be honest, I feel like I could probably relate.

I can't post it for copyright reasons; however, I am hoping to summarize it and post it this week. It's on my to-do list!