Goodbye Jesus

Nasty Smokefree.gov Commercials

Mike D

In the US the government has decided to bombard us with these nasty commercials with former smokers who have stomas in their throats and can barely talk because their vocal cords are presumably missing or destroyed from smoking. These walking corpses give us "tips" on how to do things like get dressed, and how to prevent partially digested food from existing the stoma when bending over. What the fuck!??

I get it, smoking is bad (and I think everyone else knows it is too). But I don't require "tips" 10 times a day from the walking dead on how to live with a stoma, when I 1.) don't have a stoma, and 2.) I don't even smoke. All these commercials do is make me wish the people in them would die already so I don't have to watch them anymore.

Has anyone else seen these commercials? And aren'tcha just delighted your tax dollars are hard at work grossing you out with these fucked up ads? Maybe they'll decide to spend more of our money on other educational public services announcements, like possibly show us victims of high speed car crashes that can educate us on how to use a colostomy bag due to impalement of the bowels? That sounds like a fabulous use of our tax dollars! happydance.gif

In the US the government has decided to bombard us with these nasty commercials with former smokers who have stomas in their throats and can barely talk because their vocal cords are presumably missing or destroyed from smoking. These walking corpses give us "tips" on how to do things like get dressed, and how to prevent partially digested food from existing the stoma when bending over. What the fuck!??

I get it, smoking is bad (and I think everyone else knows it is too). But I don't require "tips" 10 times a day from the walking dead on how to live with a stoma, when I 1.) don't have a stoma, and 2.) I don't even smoke. All these commercials do is make me wish the people in them would die already so I don't have to watch them anymore.

Has anyone else seen these commercials? And aren'tcha just delighted your tax dollars are hard at work grossing you out with these fucked up ads? Maybe they'll decide to spend more of our money on other educational public services announcements, like possibly show us victims of high speed car crashes that can educate us on how to use a colostomy bag due to impalement of the bowels? That sounds like a fabulous use of our tax dollars! happydance.gif

Nanny State Bullshit at its best.

Next thing, your tax dollars are going to go for are State Grocery Stores in "food deserts" (a Libtarded construct if ever there was one!) that only stock what Michelle Obama grew in her fucking fairy garden....not the shit that she REALLY EATS on tax payer funded vacations to Spain and White House dinners to entertain terrorists and tax payer funded, star studded HALLOWEEN parties.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

The government seems a bit unfocused, to say the least. What do they want?

They keep tobacco legal - they even subsidize the industry, and they reap huge tax revenues from it. Then they spend the tax money on a campaign to stop tobacco use. Seriously, does government want us to use tobacco or not? What's it to them anyway?

If everyone suddenly stopped buying tobacco products and no more taxes were collected, I wonder how they would make up the deficit. What other popular product would become the new target and get taxed to absurdity? I can only hope it's Bibles.

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

Yeah, I've seen some of those commercials too and thought about the ol' slippery slope.... tobacco to twinkies..... all at taxpayers expense. Stupid.

You must have a really weak stomach because I don't find those commercials gross at all.

YOU may not be a smoker, but it sure as hell makes you NOT want to smoke doesn't it? I agree that money could be going towards better programs, but these commercials are portraying an important message to addicts who may need that kind of shocking image to realize what they could potentially do to themselves.

The commercials may portray a slippery slope, but people have slipped down that slope all the way to the bottom before. I'm personally glad that these kinds of ads are being used.

You must have a really weak stomach because I don't find those commercials gross at all.

I think it's not so much that they gross me out, per se, (although the thought of digested food being regurgitated from a stoma doesn't exactly make me hungry), they mainly just annoy me and the fact that as a taxpayer I am paying for them just pisses me off...

We have commercials with an 11 year old girl visiting her father in hospital when he has lung cancer.She tries to make light conversation,but strays in to some comment that alludes to the fact that he is dying.

We also have commercials with a surgeon in an operating theater asking whether we want to speed or paralyse our best friend. Or something like that.

"Nanny state" - Well, I think a true nanny state would be the government criminalizing tobacco. Instead, they're telling us it's bad for us. I don't smoke, and I have no problem with people being told not to do stupid shit that will fuck them up later in life. Besides, people with health problems end up being a burden on hospitals and doctors. I'd rather the health problems be prevented, saving lives, productivity, and money. If this helps accomplish that goal, I say go for it.

As a former smoker I can attest that there was never a commercial or gross image that prevented me from smoking. I knew it was bad for you and chose to quit because I was tired of it.

Smoking takes it's toll on your body and education in grade school is where it needed to begin. And not the "it's a taboo" crap. If you want to get people to do something tell them it's "bad" or they will be a "rebel" if they do it. That is a guarantee to get someone to start smoking.

Shocking people with diseased body parts is not effective. Horror movies have made sure of that.

The government needs to use that tax money to help everyone get off of tobacco by a certain year and then outlaw it in this country. It has no other purpose. It is really horrible for you.

One of the best things I have ever done for myself is to quit. I feel so much better. That is really the angle they need in those commercials, the benefit of quitting, not the morose commercials. But then again, America is all about the "shock" value and over the top activist crap that just alienates potential allies.

I don't know if I will live longer, but I know my quality of life has improved 150% and that's reason enough to never start smoking again. I just got to a point where I HATED the cigarettes.

For anyone who wants to quit I say,

just stop! Don't look back. Get pissed off at how they control your life and just stop. It really is that easy when you make that decision.

It's just like xianity. It's all a lie and it just harms you every hour of your life.

• Like 3

The government seems a bit unfocused, to say the least. What do they want?

They keep tobacco legal - they even subsidize the industry, and they reap huge tax revenues from it. Then they spend the tax money on a campaign to stop tobacco use. Seriously, does government want us to use tobacco or not? What's it to them anyway?

If everyone suddenly stopped buying tobacco products and no more taxes were collected, I wonder how they would make up the deficit. What other popular product would become the new target and get taxed to absurdity? I can only hope it's Bibles.

It's sublimal advertising at its finest (we have similar ads here). As a smoker, I see those ads, and I think, fuck yeah, awesome idea. I light up a smoke every time. So these ads make the government look good, but keep smokers smoking. I'm not the only one, either- watched heaps of other smokers do the same thing- see the ad, and pull out a smoke.

I'm over being made to feel guilty for smoking, anyway. I don't drink, or do any illicit drugs. Don't even do the drugs that are still legal because they haven't caught up with them yet. Hell, I don't even drink coffee.

But while smoking's my chosen vice, I try to be smart about it. I don't smoke tailor mades- I roll my own. Not only does rolling tobacco have less chemicals, but it's not as harsh on my body (ie, it doesn't fuck my breathing, lungs, etc up the way the tailor-mades do- I don't even like them anymore). I smoke a medium strength and, because I roll, I actually smoke less, because I have to roll each smoke first. In the time it takes me to roll and smoke a rollie, I used to have three tailor-mades, one after the other. Rolling is also cheaper- I spend about $35 a week now, instead of $100 a week like I used to. And I roll them really thin, too. I just wish they'd make longer filters for rollies.

• Super Moderator
I don't smoke tailor mades- I roll my own.

I roll my own as well, but with a machine. Pure tobacco burns longer and satisfies longer - but Management (the wife) says they smell bad. I personally like the odor of pure tobacco but people have become accustomed to the perfumes and chemicals. Oh, and the typical smoker here who rolls his own spends less than half of what it costs those who buy commercial brands. All cigarettes are safer than microwave dinners.

I don't smoke tailor mades- I roll my own.

I roll my own as well, but with a machine. Pure tobacco burns longer and satisfies longer - but Management (the wife) says they smell bad. I personally like the odor of pure tobacco but people have become accustomed to the perfumes and chemicals. Oh, and the typical smoker here who rolls his own spends less than half of what it costs those who buy commercial brands. All cigarettes are safer than microwave dinners.

Yeah, I use a machine to roll, too- one of those old-fashioned metal ones. Works much better and lasts so much longer than those annoying plastic ones. Still going on the one I bought a year ago.

My dad, being a non-smoker, reckons that mum's tailor-mades smell stronger and more offensive than my rollies- and I'm smoking 8mg tobacco, whereas her smokes are 4mg.

P.S.- I burnt myself with a cigarette not that long ago, too. It was an accident- landed on my hip. I guess I'm a little accident-prone :P

• Super Moderator
I guess I'm a little accident-prone

Ya think???

It's sublimal advertising at its finest (we have similar ads here). As a smoker, I see those ads, and I think, fuck yeah, awesome idea. I light up a smoke every time. So these ads make the government look good, but keep smokers smoking. I'm not the only one, either- watched heaps of other smokers do the same thing- see the ad, and pull out a smoke.

So true, everytime a anti-smoking commercial would drone on and on I would just light up. Now they just annoy me because I know they don't work.

I was reading some of the reviews of the bible on Amazon and one guy said if you like good paper, the bible is great for rolling your own, he just buys bibles instead of rolling papers. :D I know he was just being funny but I thought it was a great use of the bible. Gives a whole new meaning to "put that in your pipe and smoke it". :) It was one of the one star reviews.

I'm personally glad that these kinds of ads are being used.

The real question is do they do any good?

If the government's track record is any indicator.... I would say no.

I was reading some of the reviews of the bible on Amazon and one guy said if you like good paper, the bible is great for rolling your own, he just buys bibles instead of rolling papers. biggrin.png I know he was just being funny but I thought it was a great use of the bible. Gives a whole new meaning to "put that in your pipe and smoke it". smile.png It was one of the one star reviews.

...My fiancee actually has used the pages of the bible as rolling paper in the past lol.

I was reading some of the reviews of the bible on Amazon and one guy said if you like good paper, the bible is great for rolling your own, he just buys bibles instead of rolling papers. biggrin.png I know he was just being funny but I thought it was a great use of the bible. Gives a whole new meaning to "put that in your pipe and smoke it". smile.png It was one of the one star reviews.

...My fiancee actually has used the pages of the bible as rolling paper in the past lol.

LOL, I could go on and on with cheezy jokes...

That's one way to "consume" the bible :)

Breath the spirit into you :) or let the spirit fill you :) ...:( (too cheezy)

Ok, now I'm just being silly!

I smoke every now and then, usually when stressed out or drinking. For some reason though I've never gotten addicted.

I hate those adds because my parents both smoke and it reminds me of how much at risk they are for problems and death and it makes me sad.png

About a year and a half before I finished deconverting, I had a pot smoking neighbor who rolled joints in the pages of the bible. It really freaked me out at the time, but he seemed to think that it made great rolling paper.

Flashback 70's

Get-High-on-Jesus-1024x685.jpg

One pack of cancer please, that'll be 10.17$. On a serious note, my body was the best indicator that I needed to stay the fuck away from tobacco. It isn't that hard for me to put them down either, I dunno why.