Goodbye Jesus

Don't Really Know How I Got Here...

Peace

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your story.

I spent the next few weeks barely able to sleep or think of anything else, trying to fight off the realization that I didn't believe anymore.

I didn't dare say it out loud. It felt that there would be no going back.

I remember this stage! I felt exactly the same way.

• Like 1

Welcome to Ex-C, Peace :) I really enjoyed reading your deconversion story. And I was so happy that your husband is on the same page. That must have been such a relief!

I'm a pretty new deconvert myself- I deconverted about six months ago, though the process leading up to it went for two years. I was in pentecostalism, too. Sometimes I wonder how I never found all of that weird and crazy. However, I have bipolar, so that could explain it lol.

So glad to have you here, hope you stick around :) And don't be afraid to ask any questions that you have on your mind- there is so much knowledge going around here :)

Hello Peace, welcome to this site! I too really enjoyed reading your story. I'm glad that you got out while the three of you are still young. Isn't it amazing how many truly awful Sunday services go on... and how many people seem to get something out of them? I'm also glad that you are against beating your child. One of the testimonies on the main blog talks about how severe that was at the baptist school where that person attended.

Welcome, Peace. I've also escaped from the wacky Pentecostal side of Christianity. I know exactly what it's like to be in that type of church, yet not feeling like a part of everything that's going on.

Thanks for sharing your story. It really is like looking behind the curtain isn't it?

Thank you so much everyone for welcoming me! biggrin.png

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your story.

I spent the next few weeks barely able to sleep or think of anything else, trying to fight off the realization that I didn't believe anymore.

I didn't dare say it out loud. It felt that there would be no going back.

I remember this stage! I felt exactly the same way.

It was truly like being in the Twilight Zone. There was a time in my late teens when I suffered from some insomnia and during that time everything felt surreal and my days were spent in this hazy, slow motion kind of existence. The days before the full realization hit me were so much like that! I felt like I I had my foot in two different worlds.

I'm a pretty new deconvert myself- I deconverted about six months ago, though the process leading up to it went for two years. I was in pentecostalism, too. Sometimes I wonder how I never found all of that weird and crazy. However, I have bipolar, so that could explain it lol.

lol

Right before we left the church for good I went to their children's summer camp as the nurse. I grew up watching and participating in the full pentecostal experience- speaking in tongues, exercising demons, slaying in the spirit, weir prophesies and interpretations- but seeing it as a full grown, thinking person was something else. They had these kids up until 11 or 12 at night during never ending alter call that consisted of a revolving door of laying on of hands and falling out in the spirit. I sat in the back of the room feeling guilty for not buying into it anymore.

I watched as one of the children's pastors told the kids that her stomach cancer had returned but that she knew she was healed and that she told her doctor that very thing when he tried to recommend treatment. ohmy.png I walked a group of boys to their cabin for the night because their counselor was laying out in the grass chanting nonsensically to himself because he was 'so overcome with the spirit'. I listened sadly as these children gave their testimonies the next day and heard the counselors tell how they were awake until early in the morning playing in what they saw was an actual river that had appeared in the sanctuary. One counselor told of crying and looking down and finding real diamonds in the palm of her hands. I couldn't make sense of any of it so I just sort of bean dipped my way through the trip praying for it to end.

I find it fascinating and wonder what it is in our human make up that makes experiences like these possible. I remember hearing a study where they found that people left in the absolute dark and silence began having hallucinations after 10 minutes time. I knew even then, as a believing xtian that there was some link between that kind of phenomenon and what we as humans experience 'spiritually'.

It's amazing to me that I didn't buy into 95% of what xtianity was selling but the simple fear of not believing held me captive for so many years!

Thanks for sharing your story. It really is like looking behind the curtain isn't it?

It REALLY is!

Welcome, Peace. I've also escaped from the wacky Pentecostal side of Christianity. I know exactly what it's like to be in that type of church, yet not feeling like a part of everything that's going on.

It was a strange sort of voyeurism mixed with utter embarrassment that I was seen as one of these people- supportive of these kinds of teachings and experiences. I felt complicit in my silence and ultimately left because I just couldn't be a part of 'that kind of xtianity'. I went searching for a different brand to better suit my sanity! tongue.png

Peace, welcome to the site. There are several similarities to your story and mine. I also just realized one day that I didn't believe anymore, and worse, that I couldn't believe. I asked God for faith, in my last attempt to restore it all, and I'm still waiting. What kind of God is it that can't even answer a silly prayer of help to come back to him?

Thanks for sharing your story, Peace. I related to a LOT of it!

I went through a time of anxiety and depression as a teenager, too. At that time I was so sure I was being attacked by demons. I spent my nights doing "warfare" and pleading with god to help me and take that torment from me. It's so horrible what that belief system does to young people!

I related to what you wrote about the charismania, as well. Our church wasn't as crazy as some, but we were very into prophecy, "healing", "miracles", being slain the spirit, and all that. There was a strong emphasis on "experiencing god". As a sensitive person I was able to experience some of the stuff involved in the group dynamic. But that only happened b/c I was so desperate for a miracle that I suspended all rationality and just surrendered to the experience. It turned out to be so psychologically and physically damaging. Once I realized that nothing tangible was ever going to happen, I let myself question everything. Then it was all over.

Once I saw, once I saw that I didn't believe, I couldn't un-see it. It was truly as though I'd been holding back the truth for so many years and finally it caught up to me. I felt so FREE.

Yes! Same here! :D

I hope things go well as you come out to your friends and family. I still have people to tell, too and I'm not looking forward to that. But I know it will feel good just to have it out in the open so we can be free to be ourselves.

Thanks again for sharing this. Glad you are here!

2H

"It's amazing to me that I didn't buy into 95% of what xtianity was selling but the simple fear of not believing held me captive for so many years!"

How much I can relate to that sentence, oh how very very true.

Nice story Peace. Welcome aboard. There are lots of very supportive people here who can give you lots of excellent advice and insight.

Glad you can't find it in you to smack your kids. I can understand why some Xians teach this - the "Might makes right" philosophy permeates the Bible. In the OT there's even a bit about killing unruly children (Leviticus?) and another story about allowing bears to kill kids (Deuteronomy?). It's such an horrendous book I'm glad I woke up from my nightmare and tossed it in the garbage.

Really good to have you here Peace!! I could have wriiten that letter! The drinking episode, being forced to get married, knowing that my faith was failing and not being able to admit it to anyone.....begging god to show himself to me...All of it! You wrote that letter for many people!! There will be lots who can relate!

Thank you for sharing your letter and I am looking forward to hearing much more from you!

You are sooooo, not alone!! Welcome To Ex-c where all the 'questioners' live!!

Sincerely, Margee

Once I saw, once I saw that I didn't believe, I couldn't un-see it. It was truly as though I'd been holding back the truth for so many years and finally it caught up to me. I felt so FREE.

Yup!

Welcome! I'm glad you shared your story. I'd been wondering. What an amazing thing that your husband was not only okay with your confession but relieved. I'm so happy for the two of you.

A Jesus retreat really is the weirdest damn thing ever, isn't it? Like you bottle up all that fizzy craziness, shake the bottle a few dozen times, then uncork it and watch the fireworks. I credit much of my own deconversion to the odd and dichotomous things I saw attending one or two of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update.

I told my best friend 2 weeks ago and she was as accepting and non-judgmental as I assumed she'd be. That is, of course, why I started with her. biggrin.png

On Sunday I took my mom out for belated Mother's day and decided to let a little info slip into the conversation. It started because I said something and she asked what we were teaching our dd.

I told her we were teaching her she will have to decide for herself. I then told her dh and I were on a little 'time out' and we were taking some serious time to study the bible's origins, etc.

She asked me a TON of questions. You know the ones: Then where did we come from? Then where does good and evil come from? What about hearing his voice? If we're not following god aren't we just doing whatever is right in our own eyes? What about the 'proof' that Jesus existed? (and she claimed there's proof of his resurrection? fun_84.gif ) and then I made the mistake of telling her how awful huge chunks of the bible are and she dismissed most of them because they're from the OT (because the OT isn't what xtianity was built on?fun_84.gif ).

She took it pretty well considering. She said she trusted god would show himself to me.

Obviously the real discussions (if I choose to participate) will come when she realizes we aren't coming back around and are very sure of our own beliefs.

I feel so incredibly lucky that my dh and I have somehow landed on the same page in all of this. If anything my deconversion has bridged some huge gaps we had and makes his beliefs and opinions so much clearer. Who woulda thought? smile.png

She said she trusted god would show himself to me.

You can always (keep) ask(ing) her to keep praying for you. Then she will also have an unanswered prayer to add to her very own growing collection! All the while, it lets you off the hook..... Wendyshrug.gif

I feel so incredibly lucky that my dh and I have somehow landed on the same page in all of this. If anything my deconversion has bridged some huge gaps we had and makes his beliefs and opinions so much clearer.

Yes, you are so fortunate!! My DH has only been able to say he is no longer charismatic/pentecostal....somewhere between whatever that is and agnostic (on his bad days--AKA his good days GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif ).

I really enjoyed your story, BTW. Charismania is quite the shitload of bricks from under which one must crawl on her way to sanity!

Awesome read!

It really is like looking behind the curtain isn't it?

Indeed. The image that came to my mind was Kevin in Home Alone telling the furnace to shut up yelrotflmao.gif

I'm glad your mom took it as well as she did. Her questions are the spoon-fed apologetics church taught her, clearly, but you're more than up to answering those if she's genuinely curious. Thankfully her love for you trumped her dogma.

I'm glad your mom took it as well as she did. Her questions are the spoon-fed apologetics church taught her, clearly, but you're more than up to answering those if she's genuinely curious. Thankfully her love for you trumped her dogma.

I definitely am grateful that she has grown as a person since I was in highschool. Had I made these announcements then I can only imagine what she would have done. She was flaming back then.

I don't know how much she was listening and how much she was waiting for her turn to talk. We shall see, I suppose.

She said she trusted god would show himself to me.

You can always (keep) ask(ing) her to keep praying for you. Then she will also have an unanswered prayer to add to her very own growing collection! All the while, it lets you off the hook..... Wendyshrug.gif

Oh I'm quite certain that at some point I'd be accused of not accepting God's evidence or not listening. We all know that's where they take it. rolleyes.gif

Good story, I also came from the Pentecostal background. Even while being a full blown Pentecostal, I'd have moments of realization how bizarre and embarrassing it was when I'd bring someone to church with me. I'd just hope and pray that someone didn't stand up speak in tongues and then someone else would stand up and interpret, gawd how embarrassing that was.

Thank you for your story, Peace. I hope you are able to stay on the boards for a long time to come and tell us how things are going. :)

Good story, I also came from the Pentecostal background. Even while being a full blown Pentecostal, I'd have moments of realization how bizarre and embarrassing it was when I'd bring someone to church with me. I'd just hope and pray that someone didn't stand up speak in tongues and then someone else would stand up and interpret, gawd how embarrassing that was.

When I was going to the baptist school I tried to keep my weird church practices under wraps. I had a friend and he actually came to church with me one Sunday. I remember hoping things would be chill but it was the day some random woman (probably homeless, probably on drugs, if I remember correctly) wandered in off the street and somehow ended up at the front of the church giving her 'testimony' and being prayed for by the whole church. Even at the time I could see she was obviously not mentally well. Then the whole church (I went to a really small church) filed through the food pantry the church had just started and one by one laid hands on the food praying in tongues. I thought I'd burst into flames I was so uncomfortable.

When I was going to the baptist school I tried to keep my weird church practices under wraps. I had a friend and he actually came to church with me one Sunday. I remember hoping things would be chill but it was the day some random woman (probably homeless, probably on drugs, if I remember correctly) wandered in off the street and somehow ended up at the front of the church giving her 'testimony' and being prayed for by the whole church. Even at the time I could see she was obviously not mentally well. Then the whole church (I went to a really small church) filed through the food pantry the church had just started and one by one laid hands on the food praying in tongues. I thought I'd burst into flames I was so uncomfortable.

In my old AoG church, I recall noticing the sermon and speaking in tongues being more subdued when there were very many new guests present. In fact on recollection I would now guess he used the "who's a visitor with us today?" to help determine how aggressive or not to make his sermon.

Peace, thank you.

Thank you for coming here and sharing your story with us. I'm blown away. I'm actually tearing up a bit.

In my opinion...

Your mind is good.

Your heart is strong and noble.

Your language is crisp and would make me a fool to criticize.

Your avatar rocks like an avalanche.

We are more for your presence.

Welcome to ex-C.