Goodbye Jesus

So, I Just Walked Out Of Church.......

mcdaddy

Of the whole bag of garbage, missionary-ism is the worst. These dick heads go off to other cultures and tell them that their deeply held sacred beliefs are wrong. And, historically, have beaten the shit out of these folks, and even put them to death, to force God's "love" on them. How self-righteous can you get? If I was going to create a hell, the first residents would be the missionaries.

• Like 1

Too true older! I always hated missionaries. The ironic thing is that I think supposedly if you've never heard of the gospel, you're supposed to be 'saved', by default, so if these people would just leave other people the hell alone, the problem would solve itself. Yeah, I know the bible also says to spread the word of god, yada yada, but still...

Some of you may have seen this already. The missionary that went to South American jungles to bring Jesus to a remote tribe and instead became an atheist.

McDaddy, maybe you could arrange to show this at your wife's church...!

• Like 2

I like that video, Mitz. first time ive ever heard of the natives deconverting the missionary! it just irks me to see people devote their entire lives to something that they never even have really examined under the light of logic and reason. They make the a priori assumption that everything in the bible is true, and go from there. MAKE SURE THE BIBLE IS TRUE FIRST PEOPLE!!!!!! damn! i think its great they go and help people have running water, etc., but then they throw the fear of hell at these indigenous people and scare the shit out of em. If youre going to preach that shit, you better at least have SOME evidence its real.

• Like 1

Drifting off topic, but, it has been said that many white Americans who ended up living with Native Americans and were given a chance to return to white society chose not to. According to an account in Undaunted Courage, by Stephen Ambrose, an Indian chief went to the capital to meet with the President and was appalled to see poor people on the streets. The whites gave him some money to spend but he gave it all away. He said that in the Indian culture, no one goes hungry.

SoftIce: My guess is that they don't think about it too much. Death and hell wasn't even preached in the church I attended. It wasn't until I really started contemplating it when I stumbled upon some scary stuff online. That led to months of madness, but even then I still had the glimmer of hope that maybe hell was all a sham. From there, it was Pascal's Wager which kept me undecided. So maybe there was a hell, maybe there wasn't.

But if I actually DID believe in such a concept, I would be hysterical. How can you "love your neighbor" when you believe most will end up in hell? That alone is mental torture that is not healthy for any sane person.

Some missionaries go to the bush in Australia. They find some aboriginees, and start proselytizing. After they're done, the tribesman says, " what would have happened to us if no one had reaced us with your message"? The missionary says " God is just and wouldn't burn you forever if no one had preached the gospel to you. That wouldn't be fair of the Almighty to resign you to hell for eternity when it's not your fault that you'd never heard the gospel. I suppose you would have gone to heaven".

My mum always told me that people who had never heard the gospel would go to heaven if they "were living up to the light that they had". A much more sensible interpretation that avoids the cognitive dissonance between a just and loving god and the concept of being sent to hell.

It has always surprised me on these boards how people have talked about the idea of all the "heathens" in developing countries being sent to hell.

FUCK, we consider people like Hitler to be evil, right? Well even HE didn't fucking torture people for eternity. How the god damned hell can someone say Hitler is evil but then turn around and say God is love, but that he also lets people be tortured for ever? Seriously?

I love this point! Well said!

Mitzer: That video was quite interesting. I've never heard this guy's story before. Its wonderful to see "savage heathens" reject the smug Christian's beliefs and show him how silly and primitive his beliefs truly are.

Dumbfuckery at its finest!

Mitzer: That video was quite interesting. I've never heard this guy's story before. Its wonderful to see "savage heathens" reject the smug Christian's beliefs and show him how silly and primitive his beliefs truly are.

Even the savage is evolved enough to see the pale face's sky daddy religion is nonsense. Priceless!

• Like 1

The arrogance is astounding. The man tried to tell them that their lives were empty and meaningless without Jesus and they told him straight up that they were completely happy without this "Jesus" and they don't need him. Missionaries aren't quite successful without the ability to destroy and rape a society first.

Loved loved loved that video (the commentator at the beginning and very end sounded like he belonged on a Python sketch which was awesome). I think Thumby or one of the other resident Christian whackjobs mentioned that the guy wasn't "prepared"--way to blame the messenger and Scotsman him at the same time! The message itself is faulty and non-universal; it only really works in a culture steeped in Near Eastern and Greco-Roman philosophies. These folks had neither.

I'm glad that you walked out of that sinfest, McDaddy. It turns the stomach just thinking about how egotistical and judgmental that missionary is, to be damning people to hell, but really it just shows more about him than about any putative gods. Nobody's even shown evidence that any god or gods exist, but not only does he think he knows, he also knows what his god thinks of a wide range of his fellow human beings. That's pretty impressive. Has he gone on Randi yet?

im not too familiar with Randi. but im sure he hasn't yeah, this missionary was a total douchenozzle. the way he talked, he sounded like he barely passed 2nd grade. and then dropped out. I usually really try hard not to poke fun at others for any reason, but dammit, this guy was a fucking idiot.

God sure knows how to pick a fantasy football team, doesn't he?

ETA: http://www.randi.org/site/