Goodbye Jesus

This year we're going to celebrate Saturnalia

Ouroboros

In another thread I posted:

About Christmas, I'm going to celebrate Saturnalia instead!

http://paganwiccan.about.com/cs/aboutyule/a/paganxmas.htm

The Ancient Roman Festival of Saturnalia

Saturnalia is one of the best known ancient celebrations of the Winter Solstice. The name comes from the Roman God Saturn, who ruled over agriculture. He was the main God honoured at this time, after the fall crops had been sown. Saturnalia lasted for several days (typically 7, but various officials changed the length of the festival on a few occassions). Saturnlia was the greatest festival of the Roman year, and was marked with great feasting, gift-giving, dancing, playing, and relaxing. Homes were decorated, work was suspended, and there was general merry-making done by all.

I'm going to start a new thread about this, and lets discuss the alternate celebration of Christmas!

So what kind of ideas do you guys have to make the Saturnalia a complete festival and a merry time?

Suggestions on food, decorations, dances, music, games...

I'm going to start a new tradition in our home!

So what kind of ideas do you guys have to make the Saturnalia a complete festival and a merry time?

You must have Glogg for this and for the kids hot spiced apple cider!

A must have on the morning of the holiday in my home is homemade sweedish pancakes with lots of butter and lingonberry sauce.

You must have Glogg for this and for the kids hot spiced apple cider!

A must have on the morning of the holiday in my home is homemade sweedish pancakes with lots of butter and lingonberry sauce.

:eek: You live in Sweden or are you of Swedish heritage?

I'm a Swede myself!

We always have Glögg. You can buy it at Ikea here in the States.

Swedish Pancakes we make now and then for breakfast, and lingonberry is a given to the meatballs!

And cracker (hard) bread, of course.

I'm a Swede myself!

Swedish Pancakes we make now and then for breakfast, and lingonberry is a given to the meatballs!

I am of Swedish heritage. My mother is half Swedish and half Finnish. My uncle lives in Norway and is married to a woman from sweden. My ex husband is also mostly of Swedish heritage. So, my children love Swedish food. We love Kropp Kokkors, but my aunt, my uncles wife never heard of them. They make them in the Swedish restaurants in the town that we are from in Illinois.

We are from a town that had a lot of people of Swedish decent and we would always go to the St. Lucia festivals.

IKEA! I miss IKEA. I now live eight hours away from the nearest IKEA.

I'm a Swede myself!

I am of Swedish heritage. My mother is half Swedish and half Finnish. My uncle lives in Norway and is married to a woman from sweden. My ex husband is also mostly of Swedish heritage. So, my children love Swedish food. We love Kropp Kokkors, but my aunt, my uncles wife never heard of them. They make them in the Swedish restaurants in the town that we are from in Illinois.

At first I didn't understand your "Kropp Kokkor", until I realized you meant "kroppskakor". :HaHa:

I haven't had it in a loooooong time.

We are from a town that had a lot of people of Swedish decent and we would always go to the St. Lucia festivals.

Oh. I loved the Lucia. It was always a cool feeling in School when we turned of all the lights, and in the dark winter it gets really dark. And the train of the white dressed choir with the burning candles walks slowly in, singing "Santa Lucia, ljusklara fagring." It's just an amazing experience. There we can talk about spiritual experience, and probably a completely pagan tradition that was incorporated into the Christian state church some time ago.

IKEA! I miss IKEA. I now live eight hours away from the nearest IKEA.

Oh. Feel sorry for you. I'm lucky having it just 1 hour away.

Hey fellow Scandinavians! I am half Finnish myself. My father's parents were both from Finland... but as my father and grandparents have all passed now, I don't have much of a connection with my heritage. :( I am the last one in the US that I know of with my Finnish last name. :(

I speak some Finnish (from the few things my dad taught me before he passed), but I have never been to Finland or any of Scandinavia.

Anyway, so do you two like bland food and cold weather too? My husband makes fun of me for this and blames it on my ethnicity. :)

Anyway, so do you two like bland food and cold weather too? My husband makes fun of me for this and blames it on my ethnicity. :)

Nah, I like the food with some flavor, and I hate cold weather... why do you think I move to California? :HaHa:

Nah, I like the food with some flavor, and I hate cold weather... why do you think I move to California? :HaHa:

I do like Mexican and Thai.

I live in Florida. I can't take the Florida summers (I stay in the air conditioning) but I don't miss scraping the ice off the car window in the winter mornings when it is still dark.

Well phooey... :P

I wish we had an Ikea store in Indy... I may have to go to Chicago to get some stuff for our new house. I am going to build a new computer desk out of Ikea parts....

Is Ikea like the scandinavian wal-mart? ;-) I bet they are more ethical than wal-mart....

Is Ikea like the scandinavian wal-mart? ;-) I bet they are more ethical than wal-mart....

Maybe, maybe not. Ingvar Kamprad was accused of being linked to the Nazis during WWII. He was a member in some Nazi club or whatever, but he wasn't involved in anything...

I'm half Scandinavian and half German. My grandparents on my dad's side are Norwegian and Swedish (my grandmother's still living). My grandparents on my mom's side were German, and my stepmom's German also.

My Scandinavian grandmother still makes lutefisk once a year, and she makes lefse by hand also.

We're going over to my stepmom's mom's for Thanksgiving. She's planning to make pork roast. It'll be an interesting switch from turkey.

We're going over to my stepmom's mom's for Thanksgiving. She's planning to make pork roast. It'll be an interesting switch from turkey.

Ooooh! You're sooooo going to Hell... Eating Pork! :HaHa:

I just like the cod. Your people have some damn fine cod. And I can relate to the "you like bland food" comment. An ex from a long time ago is Mexican, and he would always laugh at how "plain" my taste in food is.

I say, if ya need all them spices to doll up the food you made it wrong.

/comment

I just like the cod. Your people have some damn fine cod. And I can relate to the "you like bland food" comment. An ex from a long time ago is Mexican, and he would always laugh at how "plain" my taste in food is.

I say, if ya need all them spices to doll up the food you made it wrong.

/comment

Exactly!!! That is what I say. My husband never liked chicken, pork etc.. until I cooked them for him. Apparently his mother somehow got beef jerky whenver she attempted to grill or saute meat.

I add very few seasonings... maybe a tad pepper or herbs, but only if it goes with something else on the side. Normally my meat has no seasonings... just a tad of real butter to bring the natural flavor out.

I like http://www.candlegrove.com/sacaea.html

This is an OK: http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encycl...saturnalia.html

Pax, et Ave Saturnalia!

I just like the cod. Your people have some damn fine cod.

Ah, lutefisk. The piece of cod that passeth all understanding.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Thanx Jeff, I'm going to look at the sites.

Pax et Ave Saturnalia! - Love it!!!

(And Lutefisk is a mystery... taste like paper!)

Y'know what? I'm tired of being the odd man out every year. I'm tired of being branded a "Scrooge" every December. You guys are right. THIS year I WILL celebrate X-mas. The following is a sample of my wrapping paper for gifts.

Who says that I don't have the X-mas spirit? :wicked: