Goodbye Jesus

What bible verses do you have memorized?

Godless Wonder

The "Witnessing our anit-faith" thread got me to thinking.

What Bible verses do you have committed to memory, or at least the chapter/verse numbers?

When on the net, it's easy to google up some stuff, but IRL, it's handy to have some firebombs to toss out there.

I have a few, very few...

Leviticus 25:44-46 in which the Bible advocates slavery "forever."

"The end of Matthew Ch. 25" in which Jesus describes hell as "eternal punishment."

Mark 9:1, in which Jesus promises that some standing here will not taste death before the kingdom of god comes with power.

Those I can remember in a verbal discussion.

Then there's a few I can never quirte seem to remember except for enough to google.

There's the one in Ezekiel where God says that he lies (if a prophet be deceived, then I the LORD have deceived that prophet," or some such. Always have to google that one.

Ezekiel 14:9 And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel.

And then the one that says God created evil, I always have to look up, ah, here it is:

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

And the one about smashing the babies...

Hosea 13:16 13:016 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

So, what else?

I pretty much have forgotten all of them. I do remember some concepts but have to look for where it is. Can't remember wordings or the place.

The "Witnessing our anit-faith" thread got me to thinking.

What Bible verses do you have committed to memory, or at least the chapter/verse numbers?

My favourite ones are the where Paul contradicts the OT God when comes regarding the law?

What Is the Status of God's Law?

New Revised Covenant of Christianity

Debate Files

If you go through the above site, you can pretty much find all the major debate topics, such as trinity and the salvation issue.

I rely on Ex-C for resources, though I do keep a couple of the blatant contradictions in my PDA. One my favorites is Judas in Matthew throwing the silver into the temple, then magically using that money to purchase the land that he split open on, after he, uh, hanged himself.

Just to vent: It's really annoying when Xtians keep calling them "apparent" contradictions. They *are* contradictions! It's maddening when they employ their bizarre mental contortions in their pathetic attemps to explain them away.

Truly, this Thanksgiving I will be thinking of how grateful I am for this forum and all of you on it.

Guest Challenger

Among others, I've memorized some of the verses dealing with some of the large-scale Biblical miracles:

Joshua 10:12-13 (the stopping of the sun and moon for a whole day).

Isaiah 38:7 (the reversal of the sun's path).

Matthew 27:52-53 (the mass rising of the dead saints and their appearance to many people).

These are useful when someone claims there is proof that the Bible is true. Just ask them to provide evidence for these events--without using the Bible.

(JeffXL)

Truly, this Thanksgiving I will be thinking of how grateful I am for this forum and all of you on it.

I agree. This site is a bright spot on the Net.

(Godless Wonder)Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

And then there's also Lamentations 3:38 "Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good?"

Joshua 7:26 - "Then the LORD turned from his fierce anger".

What caused the LORD to calm down? The stoning and burning of ACHAN'S LITTLE KIDS.

Witnessing the lynching and murder of children. The perfect chill pill for gods.

Matthew 27:52-53 (the mass rising of the dead saints and their appearance to many people).

These are useful when someone claims there is proof that the Bible is true. Just ask them to provide evidence for these events--without using the Bible.

Well, there's that amazing urban legend about NASA's computer bein' all confused about the "missing days." That's not proof for you? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_083.html

http://www.snopes.com/religion/lostday.htm

Guest Challenger

Well, there's that amazing urban legend about NASA's computer bein' all confused about the "missing days." That's not proof for you? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_083.html

http://www.snopes.com/religion/lostday.htm

You mean to tell me that conclusive proof has been there all this time? How could I have missed that? :Doh:

:grin:

Guest Challenger

Joshua 10:40 "So Joshua smote all the country of the hills, and of the south, and of the vale, and of the springs, and all their kings: he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, as the LORD God of Israel commanded".

hmmm

"Honor thy father and mother that thy days shall be long upon the land which the lord thy god giveth thee." Exodus 20:12

"....seek and ye shall find. knock and the door shall be opened unto you." Luke 11:9

"for the eyes of the lord range to and fro about the earth seeking those whose hearts are fully committed to him." somewhere in habbakuk maybe?

"jesus wept." matthew (haha)

"answer me when i call to you, oh my righteous god, give me relief from my distress, be merciful to me, and hear my prayer." psalms

I had an assload memorized for Bible Drill in 5th grade, but that was quite sometime back...i do know the books of the bible in order though...if anyone cares to test it :)

1 Corinthians 4:5

(Love) is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Keeps no record of wrongs?

So what’s with the eternal hellfire and damnation bit?

Jeremiah 48:10

A curse on him who is lax in doing the LORD's work!

A curse on him who keeps his sword from bloodshed!

Hebrews 9:22

In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Most people wouldn't think of forgiveness needing bloodshed.

They would just forgive...

Yahweh isn't capable of this, since he seems to have some kind of death/blood fetish. :loser:

I rarely use the bible against them.

I try to discuss the motives and heart of the person's or god's words.

I try to get them to think for themselves when we are discussing a scripture etc.

If they start to flip through their bibles I stop them and I ask them, "No, what do you think about this situation ?"

This is a good guide to see how much a person is able to think for themsleves as opposed to repeating scripture that they have no idea what it actually means.

I remember when 2 JWs came around and I had just deconverted and we were discussing how an all loving father could eternally punish his children for being unable to obey in regards to the first mistake in the garden of eden. Emphasis being they were decieved and didn't willfully disobey, they were tricked into disobedience.

I presented an analogy to the JW's of do you believe you would punish your child for life if they were tricked into doing something you told them not to ?

They refused or could not answer and just kept going back to finding scripture to validate their beliefs.

I kept requesting an answer to my analogy and to see the anquish on their faces because they were unable to think for themselves was most sad.

Fear really does bind people up.

At the risk of sounding snobbish, I have much of the bible memorized (20+ years as a fundy does that to a person) but I have no particular verses memorized for debate against Christians, per se. I usually take it as it comes and discuss concepts with them, backing my arguments with scripture. I fight fire with fire, so to speak. After all, it's what ultimately caused my deconversion. Once I realized why Jesus could not be the Jewish messiah, it was rather quick, though painful.

It used to be that I didn't have any memorized... until recently, that is.

Now, I've got a few...

Hebrews 6:4It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, 6if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

Matthew 21:22If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.

Ephesians 4:1As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. 2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. 3Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

It's always fun to see them twisting to explain why these don't count...

At the risk of sounding snobbish, I have much of the bible memorized (20+ years as a fundy does that to a person) but I have no particular verses memorized for debate against Christians, per se. I usually take it as it comes and discuss concepts with them, backing my arguments with scripture. I fight fire with fire, so to speak. After all, it's what ultimately caused my deconversion. Once I realized why Jesus could not be the Jewish messiah, it was rather quick, though painful.

That is not snobbish, that is cool (not being a fundy for 20+ years, the Bible thing). I don't have it memorized, but I know enough of the Bible (and other "sacred" texts) to shock the hell out of the JC pushers.

You've got two great weapons: "Have you even read the Bible?" "I can recite for you." "Have you even given Christianity a chance?" "Yup. Over 20 years."

Lately I've been wondering about the worth of scripture fights w/fundies. You're never going to win - their 'faith' keeps them insulated from logic. I mean, let's face it: if you literally believe in the story of Genesis you're not likely to be swayed by rational thought.

Trying to argue scripture with them is playing on their field - we all know scripture can mean whatever you want it to with the magic of faith. You can't win trying to point out dogmatic contradictions.

Having said that, tho, I always like to whip out Mark 10:25:

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

It's fun to watch fundies backpedal on this one - watch them come up with liberal interpretations a'plenty! :lol:

I think I just saw a connection I didn't realize.

It seems to me, to believe in Jesus, one must also believe in Adam, Eve, the serpent, the Fall, la de fucking da. There are no disconnects. If someone believes in Jesus, they buy the whole boat, Adam and fAll.

Their whole point of reference in life is Adam, Serpent, Fall, Sin.

I also notice this time of year they're all spewing the name Immanuel and the typical bumper sticker saying that goes with it.

HELLO? HE WAS NEVER FUCKING NAMED EMMANUEL, ANYWHERE, EVER, NEVER, NOT! Geez-us!

oh, here's a good article on the Immanuel crap

http://www.geocities.com/b_r_a_d_99/isaiah7.htm

Isaiah 7:14 and Isaiah 8:3, 4, and 8

I don't remember the paragraph and verse, but I DO know how to find what I'm looking for on the net. I know a lot of passages, just cant keep straight where exactly they are.

Malachi 2:3 Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces,...(god speaking)

but my very favorite bits are................

Mathew 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

Mathew 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

I laugh and say go on do it....'make my day'....prove you are 'saved'...(kidding) :wicked:

Guest Challenger

I don't remember the paragraph and verse, but I DO know how to find what I'm looking for on the net. I know a lot of passages, just cant keep straight where exactly they are.

It's just as useful knowing how to look for something as it is to know it. I don't know much, but I do know how to research.