Goodbye Jesus

I Have Another Question

blackpudd1n

There is something I have always wondered about the table of periodic elements- how do scientists know that they are missing elements on the table? How are new elements discovered?

Guest Babylonian Dream

Because each element has a different number of protons, and if you haven't discovered an element with 38, and you know its possible, then you know you're missing one. Other than that, I don't know, it was just a suggestion.

Pretty much what Babylonian Dream said.

The only new elements still being discovered are the heaviest elements; all of the lighter ones have already been discovered.

If you look at the periodic table, everything has been discovered and confirmed up to number 115. The way they discover these new elements is by smashing smaller atoms together in a particle collider, then measuring the new elements as they decay back into lighter elements. The reason they have to be found using particle colliders is because they decay so quickly, they don't exist after the first few seconds of the supernova blast that creates the elements heavier than iron.

Babylonian is correct. What distinguishes one element from another is the number of protons. There are 92 naturally occuring elements with protons counts ranging from 1 to 92. All of the naturally occuring elements are accounted for. The only elements that are being added to the periodic table are man made ones that exist very briefly in particle accelerators. There are some man made elements above 92 that can exist for extended periods of time such as plutonium.

Hmm. I just had a look at a periodic table, and there are 118 elements on there so far.

...And, after an argument with my fiancee, who at first disagreed that the periodic table had no gaps, I found this article: http://www.aip.org/pnu/2004/split/672-1.html

He changed his stance when I read it to him.

So, does anyone think more elements will be found?

Hmm. I just had a look at a periodic table, and there are 118 elements on there so far.

...And, after an argument with my fiancee, who at first disagreed that the periodic table had no gaps, I found this article: http://www.aip.org/p...plit/672-1.html

While there are 118 elements on the table, the last three haven't been named because they either haven't been created or confirmed to have been created yet.

We'll probably find more elements someday.

...And, after an argument with my fiancee, who at first disagreed that the periodic table had no gaps, I found this article: http://www.aip.org/p...plit/672-1.html

While there are 118 elements on the table, the last three haven't been named because they either haven't been created or confirmed to have been created yet.

We'll probably find more elements someday.

Oh. This is the sort of thing that has made me decide to formally study science. I've been thinking about it for a while, but I was too scared to look into it because of how little I know. But since I got thwarted at the local uni last week trying to sneak into what few lectures they do have in science, I decided that there was only one thing for it: a degree in science. I spoke to open universities today. I already wanted to change my degree from Community Development to Sociology (won't be a problem, due to a lot of cross-over in units, and I'm at the beginning, anyway). I was already doing that part-time, and they have a university in Melbourne that offers a bachelor of Applied Science, so the plan is to next year start doing both degrees part-time, with Sociology being the main focus. Open universities structures their study periods differently- there are no holidays, so they run four study periods of 13 weeks year-round. Study Period 1 starts at the end of February, so I figure I'll do a unit of Sociology and a unit of Science from Study Period 1 to 3, and during Study Period 4, which goes over Christmas, I'll just do a unit of Sociology.

I'm so fed up with not knowing anything. They have an introductory course for the science degree, so as long as I pass that I'm free to do the degree. It should be interesting studying the two disciplines at the same time. I'm looking forward to it :)

The next element should be called atheum.

• Like 1

Or Agnostium if you're so inclined.

Atheum sounds good to me :)

Yes, more will be found. In fact, it is theorized that there is what scientist call the "Island of Stability" on the periodic table. This would be a range of superheavy elements that are stable for extended periods of time. At present, all the superheavies decay or fission back into lighter elements almost immediately after they form.

Yes, more will be found. In fact, it is theorized that there is what scientist call the "Island of Stability" on the periodic table. This would be a range of superheavy elements that are stable for extended periods of time. At present, all the superheavies decay or fission back into lighter elements almost immediately after they form.

Cool. One more question- does anyone here know what "Applied Science" refers to? Because that's what the degree I'll be starting next year is called- Bachelor of Science (Applied Sciences).

...oh, lots of "bios". I hope I don't have to cut up any animals :/

Applied science is just doing things like lab work or particle collisions with a hard hat and lab coat on (stereotype hahaha) or even just engineering.

A whole degree? That's kind of expensive. Why not just read like a sponge? I can say this because When I was in college I took 1 1/2 extra years of classes just because I had interests. I'm still paying for it now.

Often "applied science" degrees are engineering degrees (eg, Bachelor of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering). If the degree you are considering is called "Bachelor of Science (Applied Science)" then my guess is that its probably just a science degree with an emphasis on lab work and applications of theory (as opposed to a more in-depth study of straight theory).

If I were you, I would probably spend some time researching the topics that are of interest on my own before enrolling in a degree. There is an abundance of information available online. Of course, the trick is to find good information, but it isn't as hard as you might think. As Voice said, degrees are expensive. But if it really is what you want to do, then absolutely go for it, and good luck!

I'm just fed up with having no-one to talk to face-to-face about science. I'm also interested in the difference in paradigms between science and sociology.

The lab work will make life a little difficult, and will be the main obstacle to going ahead with the degree, as I have to fly interstate in order to participate in them. That's one thing I need to look further into.

Or velcro.