Goodbye Jesus

Corruption Of Youth

Exevolt

I awoke I would say 20 minutes ago. nice and fully rested and decided to click my TV on. I heard singing and saw what could only be described as a ghetto muppet singing "what a difference you make in my liiiiiife" (x10) and I thought "Ugh who left sesame street on my tv?" and then heard "What a difference you make.... JESUS!" and immedietly said words most people save for later in the day. Over the next 15minutes I heard ramblings from 2 different pastors trying to evangelize little kids of muppet watching age.

Seriously... These people are trying to indoctirnate kids who havn't even learned their ABC's yet? That's a low blow man... Gunning for the wee ones. Appearently once it hits 8:00 am est TCT (christian TV) decides to switch from adults and teens to little kids. Does this bother anybody else as much as it bothers me.. Damn near sets me into a nuke mode. If I hadn't awoken not too long ago this would be a lot longer and filled with alot more naughty words.

Guest Babylonian Dream

It bothers me. To be honest though, I think its the people who run the show/channel who should make that decision though. I just don't leave my TV on channels that end up being places to send "God's Message" or where I'll wake up to Dora or Bob the Builder.

It bothers me. To be honest though, I think its the people who run the show/channel who should make that decision though. I just don't leave my TV on channels that end up being places to send "God's Message" or where I'll wake up to Dora or Bob the Builder.

I have DVR so from the last time I was on TCT I had been watching DVR, forgot, when you exit watching recorded stuff it leaves you on your previous channel.

Young kids are the ideal target because they will believe anything you tell them and they usually don't ask for proof first. (unless you get one of the smart ones) The religious types have learned that they have to disguise their bullshit as cartoons, puppet shows, or something else "fun" or kids won't take the bait. Hell, even most adults struggle to listen to a dry rambling sermon.

Ah, Dora. Bitch just won't die!!! Bob the Builder's not so popular over here now, but Thomas the Tank Engine has made a massive comeback, along with Tinkerbell and Barbie. Ben 10's also waning in popularity.

Oh, jeez, just read over what I wrote- perhaps some context would be a good idea. My mum has a business making and selling hand-made kids clothing. I track sales and trends so that mum knows what she should be making.

I miss Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

• Like 1

I miss Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Which series? The cartoon from the 80s I can remember only dimly, but the one that came out about in 2003 was pretty good too. (much darker)

80s!!! Actually I just miss April. I had a toon crush. Does that make me weird!??

• Like 1

80s!!! Actually I just miss April. I had a toon crush. Does that make me weird!??

Only if it makes me weird for having a toon crush on Trent, from Daria :P

Your toon crush- totally perverted. My toon crush- perfectly normal and logical. :)

Your toon crush- totally perverted. My toon crush- perfectly normal and logical. smile.png

How can a toon crush on Trent be perverted? At least he was in his 20's tongue.png

I used to feel sorry for kids whose parents didn't allow them to watch Disney Channel as I always thought it was just innocent fare. However, in the past four years I've noticed "subliminal messages" about dieting in the shows like jokes like these:

"He/she so skinny!" "Why is he/she?" "He/she skips breakfast/ hasn't eaten for a day!".

Don't dismiss me as crazy as I took a women's studies class a while ago, and the professor pointed out messages in kids' shows in the past ten years that promote eating disorders or other unhealthy behaviors. I even found a website geared towards ages five through twelve that said "If you wash your hair, and add some lipstick and eyeshadow you will look sexy/ have sex appeal!" ( I can't remember the correct words, but it had to do with looking "sexy"). I wrote my finals research paper on the onslaught of sexualized messages in kids' shows and got a decent grade on it.

• Like 2

I used to feel sorry for kids whose parents didn't allow them to watch Disney Channel as I always thought it was just innocent fare. However, in the past four years I've noticed "subliminal messages" about dieting in the shows like jokes like these:

"He/she so skinny!" "Why is he/she?" "He/she skips breakfast/ hasn't eaten for a day!".

Don't dismiss me as crazy as I took a women's studies class a while ago, and the professor pointed out messages in kids' shows in the past ten years that promote eating disorders or other unhealthy behaviors. I even found a website geared towards ages five through twelve that said "If you wash your hair, and add some lipstick and eyeshadow you will look sexy/ have sex appeal!" ( I can't remember the correct words, but it had to do with looking "sexy"). I wrote my finals research paper on the onslaught of sexualized messages in kids' shows and got a decent grade on it.

I agree. Just look at Barbie, with the unrealistic body-shape that doll has.

We've actually been experiencing a strange phenomenom over here in Australia, as a result of all the ads targeting obesity and having a healthy lifestyle on TV, and in school programmes. Pre-teen children who are perfectly healthy for their age and height are presenting with eating disorders, convinced that their perfectly normal and healthy "puppy fat" is unhealthy, and starving themselves or over-exercising in order to lose weight. They're taking the message out of context and to heart. It's terrible.

Would you mind sharing the website you know of? I would be very interested in having a look at it.

• Like 1

Would you mind sharing the website you know of? I would be very interested in having a look at it.

I wrote a short letter to the site about using the word "sexy" on a site meant for young girls. However, they didn't respond back for six months and all the message said "Thank you for your concern..." and all that shit you get when you complain and there's a refusal to do anything about it. However, about a year later I noticed the site was taken down as I tried to go back to it and got a "Exceeded broadband width" sign. The site had to do with a popular cartoon at the time. I can't remember the name of the cartoon, but it was a Sailor Moon ripoff show with really skinny barbie like fairies who wore skimpy clothing.

There's a nutrition site I've been reading where the dietician is concerned about messages girls get about appearance and nutrition. She posted recently about health websites written by children and teenagers that are full of misinformation, especially when they post dangerous information about dieting. The mother of a girl, who created a nutrition site with a lot of misinformation, got mad and tried to bash the nutritionist. I felt like responding and saying about how she would feel if her daughter were to be at school, or online, and heard/read sexual misinformation from her peers.