Goodbye Jesus

When Your Boss (That You Love) Is A Christian.

SoftIce

Hi all. I work for a very small company. Often it's just my boss and I. I get along really great with her, and it's like we're on the save 'wavelength' on a ton of topics.

I value her as I would value a friend or a mentor almost (she's older than I am.) The only thing is, she's really into the whole Christian and Jesus thing. Usually that wouldn't bother me, but I feel like it's a small rift between us, since I'm way more cynical on everything. When I hear her say stuff like 'God is Good' starving babies in Africa pop into my head, totally involuntarily at that. I feel bad that I can't share my feelings about things regarding religion with her, because I know it would create this awkward atmosphere.

She is pretty accepting of my beliefs. She knows I'm way more laid back on everything, and that I go to a church that is very loosely based on Biblical concepts, and that we are allowed to take away whatever we wish from the sermons. I don't think she knows JUST how loosely I base my own beliefs on the Bible though, and on Jesus.

I just wanted to write this down somewhere where I felt safe, since writing things down helps me get my own thoughts in order.

(One thing I really like about this place is the accepting nature of other members.)

I just wanted to know if anyone else has ever gone through this. I'm sure it's 10000x worse with a friend or a relative, but knowing others feel how I do makes me feel less alone.

Just look at the person, not their belief set. She's probably been indoctrinated since birth and may have never stopped to question any of it. A blue pill-er. That's ok, my wife is exactly the same way . In some regards I don't blame them, it's a cushy little existence in that box. But I just see a box, and I wanted out. I'm a red pill-er. But I don't push anything...it's her life. If she wants to be deluded, as long as she's not hurting anyone, that's ok.

Thanks guys. The concept of "looking at the person and not their religious beliefs" helps me out a ton. I run into the same problem with my aunt, but she's a whole lot more confrontational at times than my boss is.