Goodbye Jesus

Very, Seriously Need Opinions Here

TheBluegrassSkeptic

We are nearing the end of our years with our son's elementary school, and believe me, we are REALLY looking forward to it. Forget the fact he is ADHD and has an IEP in place that they rarely stick to, but the teachers are inconsistent in their efforts, often yelling or using poor judgement in situations with children bullying one another. Don't get me wrong, I know school isn't supposed to be a picnic, but this place has really been outrageously frustrating.

Anyway, so the end of our prison sentence at this place is over in just two more days and my son is off to his new middle school. Things are going to be fantastic. BUT, with it being the end of the year, the children are receiving year books, mementos, and rather eyebrow raising gifts from the teachers. My son received such a gift. Please see the pictures below. But basically, she is giving a little motivational speech on a homemade bookmark using a penny as an example. The disturbing part is that she uses the phrase "In God We Trust" and says,"You have to trust in yourself and others. Trust your teachers, your principal, your parents, we are always looking out for your best interests." Even though she names some examples, by using the phrase "In God We Trust", it really comes across as her implying a higher power too.

I mean, really? She knows the whole god on money debacle is very much touchy ground. Is she even allowed to mention a phrase like this to students in a non teaching manner? I would think if she'd written God bless you or Godspeed, I would have the same reaction. I don't understand this. It's not like she came to our house after hours, off the clock, and handed him this parting gift. She gave him this at school with their homemade class yearbooks.

What say you? I've already had my fill of the assholes and have had to tolerate it all year long and tell myself we are almost out of there. This really just pissed me off way further. This is something I think I can probably do something about as well.

School Religious Propaganda from Summitview Elementary in KY 2

School Religious Propaganda from Summitview Elementary in KY

I'm not quite sure about this situation. The paper the teacher gave your child uses the penny to make two points. The first point is about honesty via the image of "Honest Abe" which is on the penny. The second point begins with the inscription found of the penny of, "In God We Trust." It is the second part that I think you are concerned about. However, after quoting "In God We Trust," the material seems to contradict the "In God We Trust" part by telling the students to trust themselves, their teachers, etc., and does not suggest to me that the message is about trusting god. Rather, the message is about trust and specifies those that should be trusted. So, I really don't see it as a religious message. If the intent were to convey a message about trusting god, I would expect to hear that message expounded upon and it was not.

I could be wrong, of course. But that's my take.

See, I try to take it that way too, but why even mention the quote? Honest Abe isn't written on the penny. Why not just use the word trust. I really feel she is trying to smoothly push her view in there. Just because she speaks of teachers and principals and parents, etc., doesn't clear the fact she is using God in there and she doesn't mention everybody else first, she puts everyone AFTER stating to trust yourself and others. Others being God.

I don't know. I just think it is out of line. I've never see a teacher manipulate the phrase on a coin like this, and I know for a fact she is religious. Just irks me.

If she were outright preaching, yes, I would be pissed.

In this case, I really don't think there's anything worth making a big deal over.

Unfortunately most of the population believes in God and that word will likely pop up again and again. If she said "God bless you" I would've just seen it as her wishing your son well. I really think the only reason "In God We Trust" was there is because she's talking about a penny.

I wouldn't take it personally.

I understand where you're coming from and understand your concern. While Honest Abe is not written on the penny, his image is on it. The "In God We Trust" part is more troubling, of course. It is possible that she was, in fact, intending to convey a religious message, but I would call it a very watered down message and certainly is no stronger than the message found on our U.S. legal tender. Rather, it's weaker because her message talks about trusting those other than god. As for what trusting "others" means, that's open to interpretation. But "others" certainly encompasses a wide range of possibilities and since the list only included people, I interpret "others" to mean other people to make it consistent.

Again, just my take. Personally, it wouldn't bother me and if it did, I'd simply take the paper from my child and throw it away then begin to look forward to my child's middle school experience.

Guest wester

First, I don't believe in ADHD -- I think this is almost always a cover for teachers to be lazy and also makes parents spend a lot of money on drugs. These diagnoses should always be taken with a gigantic grain of salt. I always actively tried to sabotage any doctor's or parent's attempts to have their kids diagnosed in this way. Labels have a way of sticking with people and kids don't have much defense against them.

For the religious stuff, I would call the ACLU in Frankfort or Louisville and sue the school in state court. I was reared in this lovely state and I too received religious propaganda right in the public school classroom. My mom loved this and even today many years later has fond memories of me being preached to on the public dime. I was too young at the time, but now I would have called the cops on this kind of unprofessional practice and demand equal time for the Lord Buddha and old man Vishnu.

KY is a mess. Them rednecks do love them some white people kulture fer shooure. Run for your life.

Cheers

First, I don't believe in ADHD -- I think this is almost always a cover for teachers to be lazy and also makes parents spend a lot of money on drugs. These diagnoses should always be taken with a gigantic grain of salt. I always actively tried to sabotage any doctor's or parent's attempts to have their kids diagnosed in this way. Labels have a way of sticking with people and kids don't have much defense against them.

While I agree that ADHD is over-diagnosed, and often used as a way to fit kids into a certain role, it actually is an actual developmental disorder. The term certainly has been abused, but to dismiss it outright is rather foolish.

Zomberina,

I think the "In God We Trust" issue could certainly be taken in a variety of ways. I don't see it as some egregious attempt to indoctrinate the children, so maybe it's best just to move on and look forward to a better school year for your children?

• Like 1