Goodbye Jesus

I Tasted The Koolaid And Lived To Tell

GardenerGal

These are thoughts on leaving Christianity and the struggles we face thereafter:

• Your spouse is unequally yoked. As am I! Don't you think I want someone to talk with about this who completely understands? I AM just as unequally yoked now and trying to figure this out.
  • I will pray for you. Thanks, but to be honest, I'd rather sit over a cup of coffee and just talk like normal people about normal things.
  • Please don't speak your anti-theist beliefs to my child. And please do not try and "save" my child(ren) through sneaky tactics because "you're a warrior for Jesus". Respect goes two ways.
  • You are no longer qualified for most community outreaches. True, I am no longer able to work for church outreaches, which makes up a majority of activities in our town. But I AM still qualified to work/volunteer with people of all ages, because I still have something to offer.
  • What about hell? Earth is heaven and hell. I am going to make it a heaven. I am not more certain of where I go after this life then you are.
  • You are a bitter atheist now. Maybe, maybe not. But I've seen plenty of bitter christians to tell me this is a human experience if we allow it to be. I choose bitterness, or I choose joy. Just like you.
  • So, you're giving up? This decision, in no way whatsoever, was made simply or easily. I held on until my nails ripped off. Your badge of commitment means no more than my badge of walking away.

Think of any others? This has been a tough week...

• Like 4

The one I get it simply "why have you stopped going?" I feel i have to justify myself including to family who never go themsleves!!! We have all had the koolaid here ;)

It's funny how they say "but what about hell" or this or that, don't they think you've thought about all that??? If they must pray for you, tell them they'll have to pray that your brain will fall out because that's the only way you'd be able to come back to it.

• Like 1

I guess it seems that people think because you no longer believe, you must not be capable of love anymore, or have any real purpose at all. Like I've chosen to leave to be a rebel. I want to emphasize to them I too feel unequally yolked in my relationships; they're not the only ones who have decisions to make. It's the arrogance that I am in the position of the receiving end of whatever they decide (can't do youth group, can't do the church website anymore, etc.) , when I still have hopes and dreams and a desire to live a good, productive life.

• Like 1

Welcome to Ex-C, GG! Most of us can relate to your experience. It's caused many of us to lose friends and family and many to remain in the closet or become much more private with our personal beliefs. There really is no reasoning with fundamentalist Christians like many of us where at one time until they are ready, which is rarely ever.

I guess you've been here almost as long as I have--surprised I hadn't seen any of your posts (or maybe you just changed your picture). Anyway, nice to hear from you!

I guess you've been here almost as long as I have--surprised I hadn't seen any of your posts (or maybe you just changed your picture). Anyway, nice to hear from you!

Yes, just changed it! I used to have my little pup's face, but I personally connect more when I can see who I am talking with.

Thanks for the response, though. It's been a week of sharing my unbelief with a few friends and left feeling a bit defective and extremely on my own. Next week will be better, I am sure, but as for these past days, it's been challenging. I know not ONE person IRL who is a nonbeliever.

I only know 3 that I can think of, and I only found out about 2 of em in the last few weeks. But I suspect theres lots more of us than we think....I just found out from a good friend of mine, and he says he's known it was bullshit since he was a teen, and he's 32! I was like, damn dude, why didnt you tell me? wtf? lol

koolaid.png?w=500

I guess it seems that people think because you no longer believe, you must not be capable of love anymore, or have any real purpose at all. Like I've chosen to leave to be a rebel. I want to emphasize to them I too feel unequally yolked in my relationships; they're not the only ones who have decisions to make. It's the arrogance that I am in the position of the receiving end of whatever they decide (can't do youth group, can't do the church website anymore, etc.) , when I still have hopes and dreams and a desire to live a good, productive life.

Have they told you they don't want you doing the website? That doesn't seem to be something a christian has to do. i would understand if you don't want to do it, but for them to not want you to continue doing that is kinda petty, IMHO. But people can be petty, unfortunately. glare.gif