Goodbye Jesus

Still Love Hymns

Noggy

Am I the only one with this terrible terrible disease?

I never cared for hymns, but there are one or two Christian albums that I still like. Mercury by The Prayer Chain is amazing by secular standards (and not overtly Christian), and... well, I hate to admit this, but Take Me To Your Leader by Newsboys is one of my guilty pleasures.

Some hymns are simply beautiful. I'm guilty of frequently connecting music with emotions and memories. When I hear some hymns I think right back to a few of my happiest memories in the church and that connection I was feeling with my spirituality. Lyrically I can't exactly agree with what the hymns are saying, but I also can't agree with songs such as "Up on the housetop" or "John Jacob Jingleheimer Smith" either, hmmm I guess I can just appreciate hymns for being and for what I felt when I sang them as a Christian, is all :)

I still like Jesusy bluegrass music.

So no, you are not alone.

My favorite hymn, for its beautiful harmonies, is "The Church's One Foundation". The theology is not really up my alley tongue.png but the music is so nice. I found a link on YouTube....although it's kind of a bad recording, you get the idea.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=molBcp8S_Ng

I still enjoy some of the music. Problem is - I was around it so long that I can't separate the words from the music in my head. And it drives me insane listening to them sing about their non-existent God and their mythical Jesus.

• Like 1

I also have difficulty letting go of this emotional device. Hymns can be sweet. But the problem now is the words. References to hell, trinity, body and blood, Canaan, etc. can't be glossed over any more. We know too much :)

• Like 1

Still?

Yes I still like some of them. Only yesterday I was thinking of "What a friend we have in Jesus". Of course the words are not anything I still relate to - but these things were drilled into my head.

..- but these things were drilled into my head.

I think repetition is v important to the priestcraft. Endless repetition of mind narrowing phrases is a simple and effective form of brainwashing. Thats why songs hymns, and the whole liturgy is so effective.

Still?

Yeah, dude. They are fucking great. I guess I'm a little bit asspie and not exactly as sentimental as most people, so I can just sing the words and tap my leg and not have a single problem with it.

Of course, I grew up with the Church of God hymns. Not the shitty methodist ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkX8v-LedJM

• Super Moderator

I never did like hymns. The only exceptions are "Amazing Grace" (no idea why) and like RS said, good ole bluegrass gospel music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75UeVLbkXeg

• Like 1

Florduh, LMAO! This song is going to be in my head all day, thanks happydance.gif

I liked Amazing Grace too. The rest of it pretty much blows just like the implications of the song Amazing Grace.

It was pure torture sitting through the hymnals growing up. I was always in trouble for fidgeting.

It was the opposite for me. I really liked hymns and singing. And was in the choir as a kid and then again in my 30s. I think some like myself got caaried away with the music, and not thought too much about what was really being taught.

I love hymns. I love the Bible.

I like Norse mythology too...and I don't see a shred of difference in the credibility of either.

My favs were always the christmas ones.

Joy to the world, We three kings, Silent Night.....Angels we have heard on high.

But then as kid I loved Christmas.

I never did like hymns. The only exceptions are "Amazing Grace" (no idea why) and like RS said, good ole bluegrass gospel music:

"God went and fucked that boy completely up and

Now he's married to a Presbyterian."

LOL!!!!!!!!!

And...

"When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there."

I still enjoy certain hymns, as well as some other Christian songs. I was a Christian for a long time. Some of the songs are still meaningful to me in ways that have nothing to do with Christianity.

I love hymns. I love the Bible.

I like Norse mythology too...and I don't see a shred of difference in the credibility of either.

I love good music. One thing Christianity has perfected is music. There's just no two ways about it.

I love listening to it and I sing it all the time when I'm alone. But for some odd reason I can't sing it in church or with a group of people. It's like it's just an empty exercise in futility. Possibly the difference is that when I'm with others I can't focus my mind on something else so I am forced to focus on the words. And the words are empty.

Most of my life I struggled very deeply with serious life issues. No one took my problems seriously so I turned to the hymns for comfort. They promised help and consolation. I used them for self-expression no matter how I was feeling--happy, sad, discouraged, confused, etc. I knew hundreds of hymns by heart so I could always find something for the occasion. When people heard me singing they thought I was happy so it was a way to hide my feelings and express myself at the same time.

Hymns were also a source of theology when I was seeking for answers to questions I wasn't allowed to ask. When stuck with maddeningly boring menial labour, I would mine the depths of the hymns I had memorized. I'd compare them with scripture and see what answers might present themselves. Again, I could cover what I was really doing by singing traditional songs and nobody was the wiser.

In our horse and buggy culture we had no tapes, radio, or TV, but we had hymn-sings whenever people got together and when we worked. Possibly that explains why I mined the hymns so deeply. And now that I've mined their depths and found nothing there, they're empty. It was one reason I didn't go to the family reunion this spring--I didn't want to live through the hymn-sing. I can sit through the brief prayer before meals but the singing lasts for an hour or two.

Anyway, I have a big file of favourite traditional Christian hymns on YouTube. I found some more just now.

I still enjoy certain hymns, as well as some other Christian songs. I was a Christian for a long time. Some of the songs are still meaningful to me in ways that have nothing to do with Christianity.

I was sent this TED Talks video about

He explains how secularism is "full of holes," and how he thinks we need to borrow from the various religions to fill things up. I watched it, then came to this thread and realized he doesn't mention music. I think for music-lovers his ideas also apply to Christian Church music.

"God went and fucked that boy completely up and

Now he's married to a Presbyterian."

LOL!!!!!!!!!

And...

"When the roll is called up yonder he'll be there."

Or is it the tune for "Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there"?

The meter isn't right for any hymn I know but the tune is so familiar.

• Like 1

I still dig Chris Tomlin.

I like a lot of old Southern spirituals still. Lots of good harmonies and such.

And Ave Maria is just plain pretty. Admit it. :P

NOPE>

Only reason I sneak back into church. I hide out in the choir loft on certain Sundays just for the hymns.

Have a HYMNAL COLLECTION that tops 200 volumes. My oldest one is from 1822. My weirdest one is Korean Baptist.

And I make art with some old ones that are beyond help. But these days, it is trending MOST UNchristian in theme.....so I think I might better stop.