Goodbye Jesus

Told My Mom.

JoeCoastie

I wasn't sure if I would ever tell her, but I couldn't do so through phone, email, or Skype. It would have to be face to face. As a widow I wasn't even sure if telling her would be the right thing. She lost her husband and didn't want her to worry about her son's soul on top of that. She's visiting me in Alaska and I showed her around some of the glaciers. Throughout the visit we'd discussed politics (We've always enjoyed this and kept it friendly), but she did notice I am now leaning much further to the left. Our conversation later went to the issues of birth control and Catholic universities and hospitals. I commented on how silly they are for wanting to act like its still the middle ages and the harm they do in discouraging birth control. I didn't really think that comment would have been such a big deal as my parents were open about their use of birth control. Look around any Catholic Church most families have 1 or 2 kids, its not a secret that most Catholics think the Catholic Church's stance against birth control is ignore-able rubbish... But perhaps I sounded too anti-Catholic in my statements and she says, "Don't tell me you're not Catholic anymore."

"Uhhhm... No."

"Well at least you're still a Christian right?"

(I'm the worst liar in the world so I don't even try.) "Uh... about that..."

We discussed it for about two hours after that. No anger, no tears, no hate. I think I'm in greater shock than she is. I think she might have already had her biggest shock when my little brother came out as a homosexual. I feel a mix of relief and guilt. I'm just trying to sort out these thoughts right now.

• Like 6

Good that you took the step to be honest and loving, Joe.

Hi Joe, two hours is long time! Is your family very religious?

Doesn't seem like a long to me, at least for a topic like that. My dad was very religious, but died 9 years ago. My mom is pretty religious, but doesn't really know much about scripture and such. We rarely if ever talk about religion, but she assumed for all this time that I was at least a believer.

that's tough when you know you can be hurting someone. but sounds like she handled it well, and in time, she'll understand a little better.

ps. i was just listening to Johnny Horton's "Springtime in Alaska" ... hope you're having a beautiful one :)

It was brave what you did. I hope everything works out for the best.

Wow! Sounds like a best case scenario! Let's hope there's no aftershocks.....

No drama at all so far. Seems like its all good.

I checked out that Johnny Horton song. Its right up my alley.

Thanks everybody.

When my mother found out, all hell broke loose.

It sounds as though you were very kind, and patient. Good job. I hope things continue to work out. :)

Wow, that was so sweet to hear. You were so gentle and tender with your mom. Her reaction was about as good as anybody could hope. I'm glad that worked out so well. I think you did wonderfully.