Goodbye Jesus

The Sign of the Times

Matthew

The Sign of the Times

In the gospels, the resurrection of Jesus is likened to that of Jonah and is in fact called the "sign of Jonah". The second coming of Jesus is called the "sign of the Son of Man". One thing that will post big problems for believers in biblical inerrancy is wether or not just the "sign of Jonah" would be given to the generation of Jesus' day or wether or not both the "sign of Jonah" and the "sign of the Son of Man" would be given.

Let's start exactly with what Jesus is written to have promised.

In Mark 8:11-12, we read:

11  The Pharisees came out and began to argue with Him, seeking from Him a sign from heaven, to test Him.

12 Sighing deeply in His spirit, He said, "Why does this generation seek for a sign? Truly I say to you, no sign will be given to this generation."

Note three things so far: the audience addressed are the Pharisees, it's to "this generation" (Greek word: genera, meaning the generation contemporaneous with Jesus), and that Jesus is believed to be talking about a "sign". Keep these three things in mind as we proceed further.

In Matthew, almost in a contradictory fashion, Jesus seems to shift gears and backpedal on this absolute statement. Matthew 12:38-39 reads:

38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees said to Him, "Teacher, we want to see a sign from You."

39 But He answered and said to them, "An evil and adulterous generation craves for a sign; and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah the prophet;

Once again, the audience is the Pharisees and scribes are mentioned too. Once again there is an emphasis on "this generation". However, notice that instead of there being no sign given, that the sign of Jonah will be given."

Let's examine the Olivet discourse in the Synoptics. Let's begin with Matthew 24:

30 "And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY with power and great glory.

31 "And He will send forth His angels with A GREAT TRUMPET and THEY WILL GATHER TOGETHER His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

So all the tribes of the earth will see the sign of the Son of Man? They will see the son of man coming on the clouds of the sky?

How about Mark? In Mark 13 we read:

26 "Then they will see THE SON OF MAN COMING IN CLOUDS with great power and glory.

27 "And then He will send forth the angels, and will gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest end of the earth to the farthest end of heaven.

28 "Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near.

29 "Even so, you too, when you see these things happening, recognize that He is near, right at the door.

30 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.

Once again, notice that the people will see a sign and the sign will be the second coming of Jesus. Mark says that people will see the Son of Man and Matthew says that people will see the sign of the Son of Man. Mark says that "this generation will not pass alway until all these things take place".

Does Luke say anything about it. Sure thing! Luke says:

25 "There will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth dismay among nations, in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the waves,

26 men fainting from fear and the expectation of the things which are coming upon the world; for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

27 "Then they will see THE SON OF MAN COMING IN A CLOUD with power and great glory.

28 "But when these things begin to take place, straighten up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."

29 Then He told them a parable: "Behold the fig tree and all the trees;

30 as soon as they put forth leaves, you see it and know for yourselves that summer is now near.

31 "So you also, when you see these things happening, recognize that the kingdom of God is near.

32 "Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all things take place.

We read that there will be signs and that on the earth there will be dismay among many nations! Furthermore we are told that ( once again!) that "[T]his generation will not pass away until all things take place"

Now that we have been keeping all of this in mind, let's read a interesting piece of the trial narratives. Matthew 26 states:

57  Those who had seized Jesus led Him away to Caiaphas, the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were gathered together.

58 But Peter was following Him at a distance as far as the courtyard of the high priest, and entered in, and sat down with the officers to see the outcome.

59 Now the chief priests and the whole Council kept trying to obtain false testimony against Jesus, so that they might put Him to death.

60 They did not find any, even though many false witnesses came forward. But later on two came forward,

61 and said, "This man stated, 'I am able to destroy the temple of God and to rebuild it in three days.'"

62 The high priest stood up and said to Him, "Do You not answer? What is it that these men are testifying against You?"

63 But Jesus kept silent. And the high priest said to Him, "I adjure You by the living God, that You tell us whether You are the Christ, the Son of God."

64 Jesus said to him, "You have said it yourself; nevertheless I tell you, hereafter you will see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN."

65 Then the high priest  tore his robes and said, "He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses?

Note carefully who the audience is. We are told that the 1.) scribes, 2.) chief priests, and 3.) the whole Council. And what does Jesus tell them? They will see the second coming of the Son of Man. The NIV says in verse 64:

64"Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied. "But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven."

What does Mark have to say about it? In Mark we read:

53 They led Jesus away to the high priest; and all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes gathered together.

54 Peter had followed Him at a distance, right into the courtyard of the high priest; and he was sitting with the officers and warming himself at the fire.

55 Now the chief priests and the whole Council kept trying to obtain testimony against Jesus to put Him to death, and they were not finding any.

56 For many were giving false testimony against Him, but their testimony was not consistent.

57 Some stood up and began to give false testimony against Him, saying,

58 "We heard Him say, 'I will destroy this temple made with hands, and in three days I will build another made without hands.'"

59 Not even in this respect was their testimony consistent.

60 The high priest stood up and came forward and questioned Jesus, saying, "Do You not answer? What is it that these men are testifying against You?"

61 But He kept silent and did not answer. Again the high priest was questioning Him, and saying to Him, "Are You the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?"

62 And Jesus said, "I am; and you shall see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING WITH THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN."

Once again, notice who the audience is. We have chief priests, the whole Council, scribes, and elders. What does Jesus say? He sees that they shall see the son of man coming with the clouds of heaven.

So here we have it. Did Jesus promise any sign will be given? In Mark Jesus says no sign will be given. In Matthew we are told that no sign will be given, except for the sign of Jonah! However we are told in the Olivet Discourse that the men of that generation will see the sign of the Son of Man. We are futhermore told at the trial that the leaders will see the sign of the Son of Man as well.

So did Jesus promise a sign or not? If he did, which sign would his generation be given, just the Sign of Jonah or both the Sign of Jonah and the Sign of the Son of Man?

Someone has some explaining to do and it's not the critics of biblical inerrancy!

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't it depend on how the word 'see' is being used?

I 'see' the light...but don't always comprehend what I 'see'.

?????

Doesn't it depend on how the word 'see' is being used?

I 'see' the light...but don't always comprehend what I 'see'.

?????

Not really. It all depends on the offer of "signs". A sign is a sign and it matters not if it's meant to be literal (making the Olivet Discoure a false prophecy) or as some Christians argue, figurative (such as Preterism tries to accomplish). It doesn't have to be a literal coming or something that the eyes actually behold such as Jesus coming with the heavenly host to resume judgement on us horrible heathens.

Matthew

Not really. It all depends on the offer of "signs". A sign is a sign and it matters not if it's meant to be literal (making the Olivet Discoure a false prophecy) or as some Christians argue, figurative (such as Preterism tries to accomplish). It doesn't have to be a literal coming or something that the eyes actually behold such as Jesus coming with the heavenly host to resume judgement on us horrible heathens.

Matthew

I still don't get the connection there. I guess I'd have to know more about Preterism, and the Olivet Discourse. My christian training was poorly lacking in that respect.

But when I read statements like: "I am; and you shall see THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF POWER, and COMING WITH THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN" The only thing I see is that he is saying that in time they will come to understand something. And since they are questioning if he is the Christ, I assume he means that they will eventually understand that to be the case. That doesn't sound the same to me as a 'sign' that is promised, that's all.

• 2 weeks later...

matthew, have i mentioned to you, how great this place is because of your thought provoking posts. when i take a look at the signs or lack thereof. i have no choice but to conclude that either yeshua was badly quoted, or he told some very good lies.