Goodbye Jesus

Jesus: Not So Great After All

owen652

Thanks. I had always been told that Jesus' idea of "do unto others" was his unique idea. If you know, can you tell me where he might have gotten it?

Great find Owen. I've long cringed at the notion that Jesus could be considered a good moral teacher, that he offered anything profound or that he should be esteemed in any way. This always occurred to me to be based more in platitude than reality. Even those who take a liberal approach and don't view him as divine can't learn anything positive from his teachings. Or if they do, they must be entirely bankrupt in terms of exposure to the wealth of ideas and philosophy the world has accumulated over the centuries and overly simple ideas, ill-conceived ideas like the golden rule shouldn't impress more than the simplest of minds.

Add to all this the guilt and legalism he piled on top of his believers and the outrageous burden of denying their own natural human urges -- which has driven more than a few insane and left far more with severe psychological complexes -- and you end up with a figure who has probably damaged humanity more than just about any other figure, historical or fiction.

Jesus is repulsive. If I had to choose to dine with Jesus or Hitler, I'd choose Hitler, then I'd take a sedative to get me through the night without blowing a gasket. :)

• Like 2

Jesus taught that whoever leaves his family, wife and children in order to follow him, will get bigger reward in heaven. He also taught that:

"8 If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire. 9 And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell."

He also taught that there is such as mind crimes and they are equal to real crimes. He also taught that the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a bigger sin (unforgivable) than murder, rape, child molestation, genocide etc.

This is anything but a moral or even sane teacher.