Goodbye Jesus

Irs

RankStranger

So I got a letter from the IRS a few days ago. They want $2500 from me. From fucking 2010!

I claimed the American Opportunity Credit- for education expenses. But apparently my school didn't bother to properly report the information on my 1098T form. So naturally the IRS has assumed that I made the whole thing up, and has sent me "proposed changes" to my 2010 return, resulting in me owing another $2500.

I'm in the right here, and I have rounded up the appropriate paperwork- so I'm reasonably sure that this will be resolved easily enough (barring incompetence on their part). But I would just like to make some comments about the whole situation.

First of all, the IRS has come after ME for a mistake made by another government entity (the state university that I attended).

Secondly, they took their sweet time getting around to this- a year and a half after I filed the return. But I get only TWO WEEKS to respond, else they will assume that I agree with their 'changes' and will send me a bill.

Thirdly, I called the number on the form twice to confirm exactly what I need to send in to clear this up. And I got a different answer each time. So clearly it's perfectly acceptable for THEM to be wrong. But if I don't cross my I's and dot my t's, I get shaken down. Hell, this isn't even MY mistake.

So yeah, I'm real impressed with the Land of the Free right now.

Insurance companies pull the same shit. They dispute charges and insist you prove them within a certain amount of time. I've read it's a policy of some companies to dismiss certain charges automatically, reasoning a certain number of claimants will just give up.

Well, when the government or institution owes you, the everyman, some money they take their sweet time getting their money to you. See any number of successful lawsuits against major banks or government institutions. However, when you "owe" them money, well two weeks notice mister!! PageofCupsNono.gif

Guest wester

Me exit USA in 2003.

Me salary abroad is less than $83000 per year - Oh yeah, hoss, a hell of a hell of a lot less than 83 grand.

Therefore no tax to the eternal empire of swindle and scams.

Ha! Chew on that bloodthirsty US freaking all-war-all-the-time-machine. You'll get me cash outa me cold dead hands. Piss off and Twist on it cops, soldiers, rednecks, morons and other and sundry ultra-violent overprivileged racist pukes who want me to subsidize their guns. No corporate welfare coming out of my a$$ for GM, Monsanto, Ford, Goldman Sachs or whoever else is donating without limit to the republican party.

My advice to you is that I hear the ex-pat life in Costa Rica or Belize is darn good.

So I got a letter from the IRS a few days ago. They want $2500 from me. From fucking 2010!

I claimed the American Opportunity Credit- for education expenses. But apparently my school didn't bother to properly report the information on my 1098T form. So naturally the IRS has assumed that I made the whole thing up, and has sent me "proposed changes" to my 2010 return, resulting in me owing another $2500.

I'm in the right here, and I have rounded up the appropriate paperwork- so I'm reasonably sure that this will be resolved easily enough (barring incompetence on their part). But I would just like to make some comments about the whole situation.

First of all, the IRS has come after ME for a mistake made by another government entity (the state university that I attended).

Secondly, they took their sweet time getting around to this- a year and a half after I filed the return. But I get only TWO WEEKS to respond, else they will assume that I agree with their 'changes' and will send me a bill.

Thirdly, I called the number on the form twice to confirm exactly what I need to send in to clear this up. And I got a different answer each time. So clearly it's perfectly acceptable for THEM to be wrong. But if I don't cross my I's and dot my t's, I get shaken down. Hell, this isn't even MY mistake.

So yeah, I'm real impressed with the Land of the Free right now.

This just chaps my ass!!!!

I hate this kind of thing. They are happy to go after small fish like Rank Stranger but when whistleblowers bring evidence against big fish like companies that wantonly cheat on taxes they refuse to go after them.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-06-19/irs-resists-whistleblowers-despite-wide-u-dot-s-dot-tax-gap

This is why doing your taxes is such a difficult and stressful process. Make no mistake, it was on you to get it right the first time and make sure your school sent the proper paperwork. Forget about the tax bill itself, the cost to you to simply comply is staggering when you factor in the time you spend, the software you buy, and/or the fees you pay for a professional filing.

Have too much withheld? We'll get it back to ya in a few months.

Have too little withheld? Yeah, there's gonna be a penalty for that.

Self-employed and make more than a Chinese factory worker? File quarterly, we don't wanna wait all year.

Did your house get assessed too high? You can appeal, but don't think we'll tell you how.

Win your property tax appeal? Cool, well it doesn't take effect for another 18 months.

Get a refund check from the State of Illinois? Careful, it could very well bounce.

And my favorite...

Technically a US Citizen but haven't lived here in decades? Yeah you still owe US income tax.

There are exactly two nations which tax expatriates, the U.S. and Eritrea. That's right, the only other government that does this is a fucking African dictatorship. Chew on that one.

Vote libertarian and show that you do not support big government bullying.

Wow, so even if you become an ex-pat in Costa Rica, you still have to pay taxes?

Wow, so even if you become an ex-pat in Costa Rica, you still have to pay taxes?

Yes and no. If you make more than ~$80k a year you have to pay. The US is the only industrialized nation on the planet that taxes its own citizens abroad.

Make less than ~$80k and visit the US for more than 2 weeks (? maybe 3, I forget) and be liable for your entire year's income.

So, as long as you don't make too much and don't visit your family, you're alright. The US still wants you to file though because when you own a blue passport, they own you. ;)

Yes and no. If you make more than ~$80k a year you have to pay. The US is the only industrialized nation on the planet that taxes its own citizens abroad.

Make less than ~$80k and visit the US for more than 2 weeks (? maybe 3, I forget) and be liable for your entire year's income.

So, as long as you don't make too much and don't visit your family, you're alright. The US still wants you to file though because when you own a blue passport, they own you. wink.png

Well, maybe it's a good thing that I probably will never be able to convince my husband to move to Costa Rica. I just love the idea of raising my kids in a country that doesn't support war.

So, as long as you don't make too much and don't visit your family, you're alright. The US still wants you to file though because when you own a blue passport, they own you. wink.png

Well, maybe it's a good thing that I probably will never be able to convince my husband to move to Costa Rica. I just love the idea of raising my kids in a country that doesn't support war.

It's a beautiful country. But it's also where I got malaria. :Doh:

The strange thing about it, is while it is the only country in the world without a standing military, the police are on virtually every corner carrying automatic rifles. I love CR, but it doesn't feel all that peaceful.

The strange thing about it, is while it is the only country in the world without a standing military, the police are on virtually every corner carrying automatic rifles. I love CR, but it doesn't feel all that peaceful.

Oh, really? My SIL just took her HS Spanish class there, she loved it.

You get certain deductions based on tax you pay in your country of residence and in general you won't owe anything unless you're a "high earner" (meaning $80k, laughable I know) but, short answer: Yep.

Only way out is to actually renounce US citizenship...and of course that comes with a ~$400 fee plus "exit taxes" if you are wealthy.

Keep telling yourself they don't own you.

You get certain deductions based on tax you pay in your country of residence and in general you won't owe anything unless you're a "high earner" (meaning $80k, laughable I know) but, short answer: Yep.

Only way out is to actually renounce US citizenship...and of course that comes with a ~$400 fee plus "exit taxes" if you are wealthy.

Keep telling yourself they don't own you.

This is the kind of shit I try and tell me therapist when she tells me I'm free.

And btw, Costa Rica is a fantastic place, and plenty safe. Did you ever consider the fact that one of the reasons they can have such a strong civil police force is that they don't waste money on military? That's also how they pay for a magnificent national park system and other environmental efforts.

Oh, really? My SIL just took her HS Spanish class there, she loved it.

Yeah, again, I loved it too. It just doesn't feel like a peacenik joint the way many probably imagine it does. Security there is crazy. People have broken bottles cemented into their roofs so criminals can't climb on their houses. They have the same on top of tall gates they surround their houses with and most have guard dogs.

Really wonderful people, but like all places, it has it's picadillos.

This is the kind of shit I try and tell me therapist when she tells me I'm free.

Dylan wasn't lying. You're gonna have to serve somebody. While all her citizens were busy praising god, America's government quietly took his place.

Wow, and here I thought it had a low crime rate.

Christ - I need my own island.

It probably does. I never felt threatened in any way while I was there. I lived there for 3 months.

It probably does. I never felt threatened in any way while I was there. I lived there for 3 months.

Your life is interesting Vigile. You're lucky. I'm in suburban hell.

Dylan wasn't lying. You're gonna have to serve somebody. While all her citizens were busy praising god, America's government quietly took his place.

I probably have her leaving sessions thinking she's not free.

• 1 month later...

Well it took a full two months to get this resolved. But I just got a letter from the IRS saying that the inquiry is closed, and I owe them $0.00.

Not so much as an apology, a thank you, or a request for a second date. I didn't cave immediately, so they're moving on to the next 'low-hanging fruit'.

Guest Babylonian Dream

Me exit USA in 2003.

Me salary abroad is less than $83000 per year - Oh yeah, hoss, a hell of a hell of a lot less than 83 grand.

Therefore no tax to the eternal empire of swindle and scams.

Ha! Chew on that bloodthirsty US freaking all-war-all-the-time-machine. You'll get me cash outa me cold dead hands. Piss off and Twist on it cops, soldiers, rednecks, morons and other and sundry ultra-violent overprivileged racist pukes who want me to subsidize their guns. No corporate welfare coming out of my a$$ for GM, Monsanto, Ford, Goldman Sachs or whoever else is donating without limit to the republican party.

My advice to you is that I hear the ex-pat life in Costa Rica or Belize is darn good.

I'm getting into college so that I can hopefully someday enjoy being an expat. Thanks for the suggestions! I was thinking Thailand for a number of reasons. Is it great there?

Going to try to get into college to become certified to teach ESL.

I was also looking at South America but being that I'm gay, that can be a quite a bit problematic.