Goodbye Jesus

Some Christians Can't Even Enjoy Movies

JoeCoastie

I was looking for a screen shot of Ponyo when she's in her stages between fish and human, its the cutest thing I've seen on film.

Ponyo21.jpgS

so I typed "Ponyo Evolve" into google and up comes this link where films are reviewed from a Christian perspective, and many of the reviewers were unhappy that the film contained magic, a wizard, mentions of evolution, sea creatures from the Cambrian, environmental messages, and a sea goddess.

Heaven forbid people from non-Christian cultures make films that don't reflect uptight Christian sensibilities

. http://www.christian.../ponyo2009.html

The sight has pretty good for a laugh.

• Like 1

You gotta be careful what kind of nonsense you fill children's heads with! They're impressionable and will believe everything they see and hear, you know! Can't have them believe people evolved from fish or that magic is real. ;)

A better title for your thread would be: "Some Christians Can't Enjoy Anything"

• Like 5

To be fair most of the reviews aren't crazy, but some are good for a laugh. Its sad however that a 15 year old kid wrote this.

"

Horrible movie(s)!

Harry

Potter

has changed the younger generation for the worst! Children are obsessed with

Harry

Potter

and it is becoming more and more spiritual! When you read these books and watch these movies, it opens the door for evil to come in even if you are a Christian and you think nothing bad could happen to you. I do not read or watch

Harry

Potter

because of the effect it has had on my best friends."

• Like 1

Ha, reminds me of a small movie rental franchise here in my hometown. It was dubbed "Clean Flicks". They would edit out all "bad stuff" from films and advertise them as family friendly. Naturally, you can imagine how that went with copyright laws.

Puritanism: the lingering fear that someone, somewhere, might be happy.

• Like 2

Ha, reminds me of a small movie rental franchise here in my hometown. It was dubbed "Clean Flicks". They would edit out all "bad stuff" from films and advertise them as family friendly. Naturally, you can imagine how that went with copyright laws.

I remember reading something about folks selling a "clean" version of Titanic without Kate Winslet's boobs.

I remember reading something about folks selling a "clean" version of Titanic without Kate Winslet's boobs.

But without that it's just some boring love story.

OK, even more so.

Oh, also Ponyo is a great movie and I would encourage everyone to check out more of Hayao Miyazaki's films.

My favorites are Spirited Away, Nausicaa and Howl's Moving Castle.

I do not read or watch

Harry

Potter

The most noticeable effect I have observed about Harry Potter is that it has turned reluctant readers in to avid readers!

• Like 1

I do not read or watch

Harry

Potter

The most noticeable effect I have observed about Harry Potter is that it has turned reluctant readers in to avid readers!

That's why the Christians hate those books so much. Once kids become avid readers, they might start reading books about science and history, which will show them that the things the Bible and their church told them aren't true. It's a slippery slope!

• Like 2

What do you want to bet there was at least one techie working for them who pulled a Tyler Durden and slipped in a shlong frame. :)

...and Howl's Moving Castle.

I haven't seen Ponyo, and I should, but OMG I WANT TO MARRY HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE! I love that movie an unnatural amount. I haven't heard any Christians whinge about it, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Also, if a puritanical Christian hates a movie, book, or any media, I seek it out. xD If it upsets them, it's probably because it has intellectual value. Not always, but often enough.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Also, if a puritanical Christian hates a movie, book, or any media, I seek it out. xD If it upsets them, it's probably because it has intellectual value. Not always, but often enough.

I do the same thing -- and with great joy! GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif