Goodbye Jesus

The Xian Hypocrisy

Lilith666

*X is my abbreviation for Jesus.

Does the general loophole-poking and intellectual dishonesty in the Church irritate anyone else?

My father is a dedicated, fundamentalist Xian. When I was 12, I asked him why the Bible says wives have to obey their husbands. (Ephesians 5:22- "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.") He denied the Bible says that, and he knows it well. When I pointed the verse out, he said the word is "submit," not obey. As if there were a difference. The incident stayed

with me because from my viewpoint, he lied to discourage my questioning X.

Once, I asked my Sunday School teacher what he thought of this Old Testament passage regarding Israel's war with the Midianites: " 'Have you allowed all the women to live?' [Moses] asked. 'They were the ones who followed Balaam's advice and were the means of turning the Israelites away from the Lord after what happened at Peor, so that a plague struck the Lord's people. Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.'....The plunder remaining from the spoils that the soldiers took was....32,000 women who never slept with a man." -Numbers 31:15-18, 32 & 35.

He told me that the Midianites had offended God and had to be killed. The virgins were going to be taken into Israelite society and would assimilate. (Of course, they couldn't take the other women because they might give the Israelite men diseases, but he didn't mention this.) The boys could not be saved because they would fight back against Israel. In verses 32 & 35, the word "plunder" didn't really mean that. There's some other Hebrew word, but there isn't an English equivalent. He never explained exactly what got lost in translation.

The duplicity and rationalizing are unbelievable. They dig around the problem or outright lie about it to get you to think whatever X wants you to think. Apologists like Ravi Zacharias and Lee Strobel--especially Strobel--claim to pride themselves on "intellectual honesty." You don't see any of that here. Xians are supposed to model themselves after X, right? Where is X's famous purity? What happened to "thou shalt not bear false testimony"? This helps to prove that Xians are not cleansed of their sins. Their willingness to avoid the truth in order to promote Xianity shows they are no better than the rest of us are.

Do you guys want to share your pet peeves?

AMEN! Brotha!

But in hindsight I was not viewing those verses objectively. I viewed them as there was a lesson to be learned. Christ heads the church like husband is head of the house. This was to establish some hierarchy otherwise there would be a massive girl power movement.

As far as the killing it was completely justified. those were the bad guys. you piss god off thats what you get! He'll fry you!....not me. I'm on his good side.

Another thing is when you do it you have to put your all into it, if people were to just roll over and de-convert because of rational reasons how fickle would they be. You have to at least stand for god so if you die he will stand up for you. Plus you have the threat of hell fire to keep you motivated.

edited for spelling

That is true. Being cured took me a couple years because I didn't want to go to hell. Must be patient...but it would make sense for them to at least consider what I said. They just cleaned it all up and put it in the back closet. That's what frustrates me. They have a solid challenge to the theory of Gawd's everlasting love and they dismissed it.

You know what else was irritating was they wanted me to help with their Vacation Bible School summer program. I got the feeling that it wasn't "mandatory," but anybody who didn't want to would be seen as a jerk. That ticked me off. They said OK, show of hands, who's gonna be in VBS this year! Everyone else immediately volunteered. I scowled and crossed my arms. I was not going to let anyone guilt me into helping indoctrinate children. It's against my principles.

Their willingness to avoid the truth in order to promote Xianity shows they are no better than the rest of us are.

I agree with all your post. "Intellectual dishonesty". I like that. I may use it myself :)

Yes they are no better than us. Many are a lot worse. What bugged me was I didnt like seeing smugness and pride.

I hated the sense of superiority. What can be more arrogant than thinking your little group was special, and everyone else damned? It sucks big time.