Goodbye Jesus

So Much Simpler Being A Atheist

Chikirin

It's so much simpler being an atheist, because all I have to do is concern myself with the world as it is in front of me. Before, I had to concern myself not only with this world, but also with the after-world and the spirit world. How can anyone can live in such a manner and not go insane? I feel a weight lifted off my mind.

• Like 5

Goodbye Jesus
  • Super Moderator

You don't miss girding your loins for spiritual warfare? woohoo.gif

...not to mention not having to ensure every person on this planet gets to the correct afterlife. What a relief that such absurd and extreme finalities no longer rest on our shoulders.

Ugh.

• Like 2

Well, when I was younger I liked having a God to look to for comfort. But then as I got older I noticed there was a trade-off between the comfort I got from God, and the sense of being violated by that same God. I invite this God in to my mind to comfort me, but then he doesn't ever leave me alone. As I got older this became more and more intolerable.

.....and to feel so free from all that guilt of your past mistakes, knowing now that we are just

fully human - fully stupid!! tongue.png

Nothing at all to do with going off god's path or giving in to satan's ways because he comes as an 'angel of light'!!

Just plain old human animals, making mistakes as they go along the path of learning to live on planet earth.........

...not to mention not having to ensure every person on this planet gets to the correct afterlife. What a relief that such absurd and extreme finalities no longer rest on our shoulders.

Ugh.

This precipitated a near mental breakdown for me, as I got into my mid thirties my uncle was dying, and I contemplated my grandmother soon dying, and my father who had left the faith, and how was I to bring him back to faith, and save my dying relatives and my unbelieving brothers, and all the while I can't even bring myself to sit through increasingly irritating and lame church services and deal with obnoxious believers.

As for myself, I find it far more simple still to be neither theist or atheist.

:sing:

And he asked me,

"Do you believe in God?"

I said the wrong thing.

I should have said,

"Mu! Mu! Mu!"

I only believe in you.

I think I've really settled into the comfort of my apostasy. I no longer have any second thoughts, and I see/feel/understand life so much more clearly. It's hard to imagine now how I ever fell hook/line/sinker for that shit.

• Like 1

I think I've really settled into the comfort of my apostasy. I no longer have any second thoughts, and I see/feel/understand life so much more clearly. It's hard to imagine now how I ever fell hook/line/sinker for that shit.

Moi aussi.

Moi aussi.

Ramen!

I have gotten to a similar point. Whenever I look at the Christian crap my wife is reading, see one of the bits of Christian idiocy being passed around on Facebook, or see someone post something super-Christian on a forum of former fundamentalists that I participate in, I always ask myself the same question: How did I ever become a Christian in the first place? How did I ever convince myself that anything about Christianity ever made sense? And how the hell did I wind up in the Assemblies of God, one of the wackier, more fundamentalist branches of the religion? How?

Moi aussi.

Ich auch.

And then you read things from the people who see invisible demons and devils in every little detail, worry about if their every choice is going to allow the devil in, think that this and that in the world is controlled by evil - they're living in a vastly different world than we are - it's just like an alternate dimension only they can see.

I have gotten to a similar point. Whenever I look at the Christian crap my wife is reading, see one of the bits of Christian idiocy being passed around on Facebook, or see someone post something super-Christian on a forum of former fundamentalists that I participate in, I always ask myself the same question: How did I ever become a Christian in the first place? How did I ever convince myself that anything about Christianity ever made sense? And how the hell did I wind up in the Assemblies of God, one of the wackier, more fundamentalist branches of the religion? How?

I've been wondering this lately, and more specifically, how do people keep believing their entire life? And I don't mean that in a condescending way; I'd really just like to know how.

I've been wondering this lately, and more specifically, how do people keep believing their entire life? And I don't mean that in a condescending way; I'd really just like to know how.

GG,

From what I've observed, it's a gambling mentality. Once you've doubled down enough times in order to resolve your cognitive dissonance, you just can't let go. The big payoff is just around the corner, so if I give up now, I'll miss the payoff. Plus, admitting that you've dedicated 10, 20, 30, 40+ years to something that isn't real is just too painful. That's why I'm amazed when I see older folks walking away...that takes a lot of courage and humility.

• Like 1

I think there are several reasons for this. I will speak for why I kept my beliefs until I was about 50. One reason is that it is easier to keep on the same path than to diverge. Another is that, at least for me, the hope of reuniting with loved ones beyound the grave, and to frankly make up for the mistakes made in this life. I know unless I had the issues in my life last summer and fall, I would have still been a moderate Christian. But in the end, I came to understand that this life is all there is, and there is no external God. For me, right now, I am more sad about this than anything else. But I have to go where the evidence leads me.

I think there are several reasons for this. I will speak for why I kept my beliefs until I was about 50. One reason is that it is easier to keep on the same path than to diverge. Another is that, at least for me, the hope of reuniting with loved ones beyound the grave, and to frankly make up for the mistakes made in this life. I know unless I had the issues in my life last summer and fall, I would have still been a moderate Christian. But in the end, I came to understand that this life is all there is, and there is no external God. For me, right now, I am more sad about this than anything else. But I have to go where the evidence leads me.

Thanks for helping me to understand that from your perspective. I was actually thinking of those in their 50s. I have a good friend who is so smart, and I cannot figure out how someone like her can continue to believe. I think she is drawn to the emotional aspect of it, but I see the side which you stated, which is the death/reuniting with loved ones hold. I can very much see that. It's been hard for me to accept that, too. .

It's so much simpler being an atheist, because all I have to do is concern myself with the world as it is in front of me. Before, I had to concern myself not only with this world, but also with the after-world and the spirit world. How can anyone can live in such a manner and not go insane? I feel a weight lifted off my mind.

Oh yeah i nearly did go nuts. It was a huge burden for me. I was concerned over so much. I was an emotional mess. And for some reason I could never quite trust god as advised by fellow Christians. Lol. Trust him? Are you kiddin lol. Not with his track record.

Anyway "No god. Know freedom"

High five to you for getting out.

Like Bill Maher once said:

"The great thing about atheism is the amount of time it takes up."

I am living temporarily with my parents, who are in their seventies, and it is really eye-opening for me and really REALLY depressing. Absolutely everything they watch on TV or read or listen to is fundy-based, and they are consequently very negative people, who are exremely right-wing politically and completely stuck in their narrow worldview, unwilling to look at any other perspective on life for even a nanosecond. My tongue is almost gone from biting it so much, but I know it will come to a head eventually. ANd my mother-in-law keeps giving us CDs and DVDs from her fundy church because she wants us back in the fold, and she is offended by my 'critical' attitude, which is weird because I have never said anything remotely antagonistic to her, apart from a few random comments on other people's fb pages. (that's not true, actually. the one and only negative thing about church i've ever said to her was the other day when she said she heard god telling her to give us this CD. I said if she's hearing voices perhaps she should see a doctor. I was laughing as i said it, and she is usually so good-humoured but instead she burst into tears and said it was offensive! Sigh.) I could say so much more than I do, but I bite my tongue to keep the peace. When i speak to family about church i am respectful, even though it really is condescending to be giving us CDs etc and trying to evangelize us in the way I myself once did to others. Maybe it's 'devine' retribution.

yeah my mom used to get these Fundy "watchdog" newsletters, saying this is bad, that is bad, etc, attacking not only the "world" but every other denomination too. Those watchdog guys make a nice little living churning out this crap.

they remind me of guys who are really into Star Trek or Capt Kirk and will argue with you over little details of a movie or episode and get all irritable. but with the fundies they actually think it is real.

The negativity is what gets me, too. You should hear the things my Grandmother says about Muslims and Sikhs. It's just pure hatred. I go to school with some of these people- some of them are my friends. Everyone is evil; everything is trying to get you. Your natural, human desires are pure evil... The world is ending because of this and this... It's living in constant fear and sadness. It's lonely and can make you go crazy. It's trying to live up to some ideal that OTHER Christians made for you and you can never reach. It's an almost impossible life. Yet some people manage to do it... I never knew how. I always found it hard to get ahead in life when I felt so negative about the world.

The negativity is what gets me, too. You should hear the things my Grandmother says about Muslims and Sikhs. It's just pure hatred. I go to school with some of these people- some of them are my friends. Everyone is evil; everything is trying to get you. Your natural, human desires are pure evil... The world is ending because of this and this... It's living in constant fear and sadness. It's lonely and can make you go crazy. It's trying to live up to some ideal that OTHER Christians made for you and you can never reach. It's an almost impossible life. Yet some people manage to do it... I never knew how. I always found it hard to get ahead in life when I felt so negative about the world.

I think that's a generational thing. My grandparents "trust that God will sort out the Arabs".

You know what's funny? They concede that muslims are usually great people, but follow a hateful (and ultimately misguided) doctrine. Allah is the god of hate and all.

I think it's really funny how such a supposedly hateful doctrine produces loving people (for a couple of years one of my best friends was a muslim and I have yet to meet one that I dislike), while such a supposedly loving doctrine produces hateful people.

Stooop. You're making me hawt. smileybreasts.gif