Goodbye Jesus

"objective" "logical" Christians.

jackbauer

They are anything but!!

There is no objective undeniable evidence that any God exists, let alone a God who is so concerned with petty moral issues. I have not seen anyone point to some magic man in the sky who's running the show. Nor have I ever heard the distinct voice of God. All I've heard is excuses and justifications for why God cannot be seen or heard from despite the fact that he's supposed to be number one in our lives. This usually amounts to shifting the blame to us sinful petty humans who are too blinded by worldly desires to understand the "truth" (another rant worthy topic). In the end, the best apologists can do is attempt to tie up the many holes in Christianity. But when the basis of your faith contains more holes than all 8 seasons of 24, there's only so much weasling you can do.

So any attempts of Christians to be "objective" are as successful as their attempts to be "cool" with their Christian rock. A lot of the "logical" "thinking" Christians are just stereotypical philosophers. Sometimes completely lacking in empathy or any emotion what so ever. And they think that science actually supports their bullshit?!!!

Sorry for another rant, but it's something that's been building for a while. Especially since I used to buy into this bullshit (or worse been the bullshiter).

• Like 1

Yeah. Idiot number one on the most wanted list is "debating" on another thread right now.

I think there are some great objective Christians out there. Some of the best commentaries on religion I've heard have been from Christians that recognise the limitations of their faith.

Check this guy out in Bill Maher's Religulous. He is REALLY well measured.

As to why many aren't, there is one thing I was able to learn about true objectivity before leaving Christianity: Ya have to accept that you might very well be wrong. I think a lot of people like to step back and look at what they believe, but they usually look at it through their own believing lenses so their attempts to be objective often just lead back to their original conclusions. What a coincidence.

I found the bolded part really hard to swallow. I like being right! It's not an easy thing to realise, but I think that is the first and most important step on the road to true objectivity.

• Like 1

I think there are some great objective Christians out there. Some of the best commentaries on religion I've heard have been from Christians that recognise the limitations of their faith.

Check this guy out in Bill Maher's Religulous. He is REALLY well measured.

As to why many aren't, there is one thing I was able to learn about true objectivity before leaving Christianity: Ya have to accept that you might very well be wrong. I think a lot of people like to step back and look at what they believe, but they usually look at it through their own believing lenses so their attempts to be objective often just lead back to their original conclusions. What a coincidence.

I found the bolded part really hard to swallow. I like being right! It's not an easy thing to realise, but I think that is the first and most important step on the road to true objectivity.

I was an Xian from birth til about a year ago (31/32). But there was always something inside of me, sometimes whispering, sometimes SCREAMING, "ya know, this could all be BULLSHIT".

Spent pretty much my whole 3rd decade reading apologetics trying to hold on. Then I decided to read the bible without preconceived notions or biases, indoctrination free. Damn, how fast my deconversion was after that.

• Like 1

. This usually amounts to shifting the blame to us sinful petty humans who are too blinded by worldly desires to understand the "truth" (another rant worthy topic).

I am sinful and petty and made in his image and likeness of course. lol. But I, like most other human beings strive to behave a tad better than bible god. lololol

• Like 1

Agreed OP. I see alot of those and even saw a few from Case For Christ. I've also seen xtians who were objective, skeptical and so on on EVERY subject including science but when it comes to their faith, little objectivity.

You know, what really gets me about these "objective" "rational" Christians are that it's all just an act. I think they're trying to appeal to the "intellectual" crowd. But of course, the only intellectuals they're mimicking are those stereotypical super analitcal types (think Sheldon Cooper from the Big Bang Theory for those who watch). In other words, a strawman version of an intellectual. That does not combine well with Christianity. *shudder*

• 2 weeks later...

And here's another thing I hate, claiming that their opponents are appealing to emotion when questioned on the problem of evil. First of all, it's a legit question, especially if you believe in an all soveriegn God. If God is all soveriegn, why make people he doesn't approve of? And more importantly, why punish them for all eternity for acting on their very nature?

But what I really hate is how psychotic they come across when they say this horrible shit. I read articles by hyper calvinists who claimed children and infants are going to hell because they are born evil. They said the same shit, that people are opposed to it because they're "too emotional" and don't like the thought of telling a mother that her infant child is burning in hell. WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK!!! It's a hideous concept that anyone with an ounce of compassion would find revolting, but of course since Calvinists are pretty much textbook sociopaths, they see any empathy as "petty human emotion". Want to know what's appealing to emotion? THREATENING PEOPLE WITH THE FIRES OF HELL!!!!

They don't know it, but they are also appealing to obscurity by acting like our disgust at such a horrific concept makes it more true. Projection much?

• Like 1

They are anything but!!

There is no objective undeniable evidence that any God exists, let alone a God who is so concerned with petty moral issues. I have not seen anyone point to some magic man in the sky who's running the show. Nor have I ever heard the distinct voice of God. All I've heard is excuses and justifications for why God cannot be seen or heard from despite the fact that he's supposed to be number one in our lives. This usually amounts to shifting the blame to us sinful petty humans who are too blinded by worldly desires to understand the "truth" (another rant worthy topic). In the end, the best apologists can do is attempt to tie up the many holes in Christianity. But when the basis of your faith contains more holes than all 8 seasons of 24, there's only so much weasling you can do.

So any attempts of Christians to be "objective" are as successful as their attempts to be "cool" with their Christian rock. A lot of the "logical" "thinking" Christians are just stereotypical philosophers. Sometimes completely lacking in empathy or any emotion what so ever. And they think that science actually supports their bullshit?!!!

Sorry for another rant, but it's something that's been building for a while. Especially since I used to buy into this bullshit (or worse been the bullshiter).

I can totally sympathise with having bought into and spouted this kind of bullshit in my youth - I was always looking for ways to rationalise the absolute lack of credible - let alone convincing - evidence for the truth of Christianity and the supernatural claims it peddles.

There aren't many (although there are definitely some) things that raise my hackles more than the sanctimonious attitude adopted by Christian (and some other) believers towards "those poor, deluded believers in science and empirical evidence" who really can't see just how narrow-minded and deluded we are, to demand actual demonstrations to back up the truth claims of religion.

The weight that was lifted from my shoulders when I cast off the need to justify Christian faith can only really be appreciated by those of us who have been there. Rant away, I say - sometimes it takes a sledgehammer to point out the obvious...