Goodbye Jesus

Someone Want To Tell Me Why I Get A Pop Up Ad For Http://www.christianeducation.com When I Go To Login?

AKR

What the fuck is this shit?

The tech guys probably know more here, but I'd say you have spyware on your machine that sees the name of this site and causes word-related ads to pop up.

Either that, or Dave sold out to the man. :P

it's like the google ads that show up when listening to the thinking atheist podcast on youtube. They always are for some bible college or something.

it's like the google ads that show up when listening to the thinking atheist podcast on youtube. They always are for some bible college or something.

adblockplus It takes a few seconds to install on your browser.

The tech guys probably know more here, but I'd say you have spyware on your machine that sees the name of this site and causes word-related ads to pop up.

Either that, or Dave sold out to the man. tongue.png

I doubt I have spyware. I've never had that happen before. Really weird and sorta funny.

adblockplus It takes a few seconds to install on your browser.

Some people say that adblock IS spyware.

But Kaspersky doesn't seem to have a problem with it. And it does effectively block pop-up ads. So until I see evidence that's more compelling than some random guy's opinion, I'll take my chances.

If it is, it pays its way. I love it.

Logically though, if a program blocks all ads and tracks your behavior, what is the developer's benefit? User behavior is used to decide which ads to show you, but if you see no ads, what are they getting out of spying on you?

• Like 1

Logically though, if a program blocks all ads and tracks your behavior, what is the developer's benefit? User behavior is used to decide which ads to show you, but if you see no ads, what are they getting out of spying on you?

Didn't mean to plus 1 you, but you can have it anyways :P

The benefit is selling this information to others (like spammers). I personally use Adblock Plus, so I hope it ain't true.

• Like 1

Who knows? They could be tracking behavior and selling it to advertisers. They could be looking for credit card numbers and the like. It's anybody's guess.

But it's such a common program that I figure any big-name anti-virus would be aware if it was a problem. And if all it's doing is tracking behavior- just like thousands of websites and applications do- then I really don't care much.

Didn't mean to plus 1 you, but you can have it anyways tongue.png

The benefit is selling this information to others (like spammers). I personally use Adblock Plus, so I hope it ain't true.

I returned the favor. :)

Aside from what you said, that information is also used to help develop heuristics engines and for the adblocker to be able to predict when and where ads you don't want will pop up. I'm not saying Adblock is clean, but still.

I'd say clean out your cookies, use a browser like Chrome or Firefox and download some of their ad blocker add-ons.

Dirty Christians. Trying proselytize us with adware...