Goodbye Jesus

Bittersweet Pill

Raistlin

Leaving Xianity behind has been a bittersweet pill me to swallow in so many ways. I am so relieved to be finally free of the fear and guilt. But I grieve the loss of my best friends that had been with me since high school. I only have one that will really still talk to me and I know she does it in hopes of "winning me back". I envy Christians the social support they have. I like the idea of having a group of people who love and support each other and encourage each other to be better people. I wish there was a way to have that without the psychologically damaging beliefs taught by Christianity. Just imagine how much bloodshed could have been avoided in the world if Christianity never happened. No crusades; no fighting in Ireland; no scarlet letters; no Salem witch trials ......

• Like 1

Thanks for joining. Sorry you've lost friends. I have not yet told my best friends from church that I have known for 15 years. Good luck to you.

Is that Raistlin Majere from Dragonlance?

Guest wester

You have to walk that lonesome highway by yourself.

My christian mum has a rather serious problem of co-dependent relationships. Not that social relations are bad, but mum would often spend 10 hours a day with her "friends" for months at a time, then burn out and never talk to them ever again. And this happened over and over for years.

People I used to think were my greatest friends more often than not turned out to be jerks.

Life is like a long distance marathon or a kind of war. The best advice I heard from WWII vets was to sit down and take a rest whenever and wherever you can get it. Don't worry, don't sweat that you are chillin when others are not - you have to take care of yourself.

Cheers

I envy Christians the social support they have. I like the idea of having a group of people who love and support each other and encourage each other to be better people.

It sounds great, and even looks like that is the case on the surface but I'm sure as you found out that it's mostly glued together by religion.

Mind you I never knew most of the people I went to church with since high school so my case may be a bit different.

In my case even the people that pretended to be my friends while in church never acknowledged me outside of church. and the ones that would usually call me to come over and visit stopped calling me and made excuses constantly as to why they don't want to see me after I left the church.

in my cynical view christian relationships are not real relationships at all. (Just as phony as the relationship to Jesus they claim to have...)

I am a bit bitter on this point because I've never done well in forming and keeping relationships and I thought I had finally found a community that would accept me in the church, but it just turned out to be more of the same.

You will find a group of support here, welcome to EX-C.

Christianity is a social construct of folks who fear life more than they fear death. (I just made that up, actually) But I think it is not putting too fine a point on it to say that "misery loves company" and if they weren't so miserable in their shitty lives of mediocrity, they wouldn't' be pining away for HEAVEN (or seventy two virgins if you are a camel humping illiterate Muslim).

I mean, you are a fork lift driver with a passel of bratty kids your parents and your evangelical/Catholic church convinced you to have, you wake up in middle age questioning your faith? NOPE>>> you DOUBLE DOWN on Jesus.

The hostility that I have felt lately is MORE than the Bible Belt...it is the COWARDICE OF THE BELIEVERS AROUND ME WHO REFUSE TO COME CLEAN>>> THEY HAVE TOO MUCH TO LOSE>>> SO WHEN THEY REJECT ME (AND YOU too, as you are learning) >>>> THEY AR REALLY JUST ANGRY AT YOU FOR YOUR INTELLECTUAL HONESTY.

It is all a matter of perspective. VIew being an outcast as a badge of honor and make a new road where there was none before...START A MEETUP group and FUCKEM' IF THEY CAN'T BE HONEST ENOUGH TO ADMIT THAT THE SAVIOR IS NAKED.

Welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I think that religion is for people that don't have the brains or the balls to think for themselves. I remember learning about Greek mythology as a kid and wondering why those stories were termed "mythology'" and the Bible is regarded as "truth" when there's about as much evidence to support one as there is the other. Why don't we refer to the Bible, Quoran, etc. as "semitic mythology" instead? It's so much easier to attend church and suck in everything you're taught and then regurgitate it. That way, the mind never has to become engaged. I've come to the conclusion that where Christianity is concerned, truth is equal to the sum of popular opinion. What actually did or did not happen is completely irrelevant

(Springy G, a DL fan for the past 15 years, bows in respect to the Master of Past and Present) Welcome!

There will be new friends who are true to who you are now, as long as you remain true to yourself. There may be grieving, and a lot of anger. Just take it one day at a time. If there's anything we can do to help. just ask.