Goodbye Jesus

My Thanksgiving

Amethyst

I spent my thanksgiving at my grandma's, although she was in the hospital for gallbladder surgery Wed. and didn't get out until 1 pm today. So anyway, I was there with my parents and my stepmom's brother.

We were talking about Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings last night, and how it's mythology, and how religion is mythology (my dad is one of those who realizes it's just a myth but goes to church for socializing), and my dad's like "If you like LoTR, why do you have something against religion?"

I said, "LoTR doesn't claim to be real."

And then my stepmom just had to have the radio set to a Christian one while we were eating dinner today, and some idiot preacher was talking about how we "forgot about the origins of this country." And I said "No, the founding fathers were deists, not Christian."

So my stepmom asked what a deist was, and I said somone who believes god exists but doesn't believe that he interferes in daily life and doesn't believe in Christianity.

My dad said something about sounding like a Presbytarian.

I said no, they don't believe in the Bible at all.

My stepmom was like "You shouldn't let that bug you."

I wanted to say, well how would you like it if some religious cult took over your country and rewrote your country's history and brainwashed everyone, but I didn't.

It just pissed me off, and I have nobody else to talk to, and nobody else in my family understands or gives a crap what I'm going through. They are not fundy, but they're still along the lines of "spirituality is good for you, you have to have some sort of spiritual connection in your life," etc. I know it's just superstition, but nobody else in my family realizes that it is. I just wish I had someone else in my family who was on my side and wasn't afraid to say what they thought, that's all.

:vent:

I am sorry your Thanksgiving has been difficult, but it sounds like you explained yourself well. I admire you for saying what you think and knowing your facts (good job on the deist point!) I hope it goes better for you.

Eh... I know how you feel. My mom is definitely not Christian, but thinks someone is lacking and in need of God (or whatever) if they aren't "spiritual."

She doesn't give me trouble about it, but I don't exactly let her know how close to atheism I am... so I don't have any family members who are "on my side" either. But I do have my husband and my friends... that is good enough for me. :)

.....And then my stepmom just had to have the radio set to a Christian one while we were eating dinner today, and some idiot preacher was talking about how we "forgot about the origins of this country." And I said "No, the founding fathers were deists, not Christian."

.....I wanted to say, well how would you like it if some religious cult took over your country and rewrote your country's history and brainwashed everyone, but I didn't.

It just pissed me off....

:vent:

As always, I just find your posts so visceral! Thanks. My thoughts exactly. :)