Goodbye Jesus

Hubby got asked to pray today

pandora

I warned him to prepare because I thought his side might try that on him... and guess what, they did! I am guessing it was a set up, but it could have been innocent.

He mumbled something like "Thanks everyone for coming here today. Thanks for the food and thanks for the good company... uh... amen?"

I was trying my hardest not to laugh. He couldn't have said "no thanks" or something because his family (that is unaware of his deconversion) knew he used to be a gung-ho Christian and would willingly pray... so he was stuck. He didn't want to cause a fuss.

Here's a suggested prayer for next time...

"Thanks for giving us all open minds and the ability to reason. Thanks for giving us the ability to see through religious lies if we look hard enough. Please give us the courage to freely discuss what we truly believe...."

That should get dinner off to an interesting start! :wicked:

Before using the technique suggested by TF, I recommend going on the internet to find out how to remove cranberry sauce stains from clothing and walls. :shrug:

IBF

"Rub-a-dub-dub, give thanks for the grub"...a true oldie, but goodie. Probably would not be highly appreciated by loved ones, but fun to think about.

I recommend going on the internet to find out how to remove cranberry sauce stains from clothing and walls.

Or a turkey from your ass. :lmao:

Here's a suggested prayer for next time...

"Thanks for giving us all open minds and the ability to reason. Thanks for giving us the ability to see through religious lies if we look hard enough. Please give us the courage to freely discuss what we truly believe...."

Oh goodness... that would not go over well! LOL

We would get evil stares and probably be asked to leave if he did that. We would also be shunned forever... in his family, it is important to fake it to fit in with the matriarchs.

Or just a non-demon bless this food, amen.

Ooh. Ahead crunch factor 10, Mr. Sulu... awkward. Sounds like he did okay though.

"Good drink, good meat, good god, let's eat!" is another favorite of mine. But I don't know how well that'd go down in scary fundy circles either... they tend not to go for smartasses.

Ah, well. :shrug: Hope T-day was good for y'all nonetheless. :)

I'd probably end up making some ambiguously passionate prayer that fits perfectly thanking a theologically correct Trinitarian God for the bounty he's blessed us with--or Apollo, Baldur, a particularly beneficent ancestor...

I'm far too good at hiding my status as an ex-Christian. :unsure:

I am so thankful that I didn't get asked again this holiday to pray for the meal. I have politely refused each time and so has my brother. I guess my mother got the hint, no one prayed this year..... hehehehe.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: