Goodbye Jesus

Does Anyone Else Have Experience With This Level Of Paranoia?

TheBluegrassSkeptic

Personally, I have experienced THIS level of paranoia. Not in regards to a television show where I traded spouses, but in regards to extreme situations of stress within a church in regards to a deacon banging another church member's wife. The incident literally split the church. Now, the same church still stands today, up and running, AND they have prophets and missionaries come visit now. Seems it took an even further turn for the worst.

But in general, I see this type of paranoia just spread. It starts with a woman like this ranting and raving. She displays this horrible lack of self-control in front of her husband and children. She then went to all her close friends, who are church members, as well. I am sure she openly ranted and raved at the next church meeting (s). And this behavior probably had a mixed effect with some people hopping on her "dark side" bandwagon, and those who thought this woman has thoroughly lost her mind. Quite literally, she probably caused a rift within the church, especially after she backed off for a bit and then accepted the money.

The whole notion of being a "Warrior for God" really kind of disturbs me the most. I grew up in a Pentecostal church and heard this phrase every five minutes on Sundays and Wednesdays. And I know, if we took this attitude on the street, where we are yelling and screaming in public, in front of children and businesses, we would have been either directed by the police to leave or even locked up for evaluation. Imagine what would happen in large groups in public. This would be behavior consistent with inciting a riot charges and disturbing the peace.

If I behaved like this on my private property, and my neighbors didn't like it, I could STILL be hauled off by cops if I were in this much of a rage. Yet churches can have this behavior, complete with snake handling, and we can't file charges and have it shut down?

It's baffling.

"I have planted a seed and am expecting the harvest"!

"in Jesus name I pray"

"I rebuke you in the name of Jeebus!"

"DARKSIDED"

Boy, she was paying attention to her brainwashers reallllll good. She knows all the little phrases.

She seemed more demonic than any of that stuff she was ranting about.

• Like 2

Yeah, I wonder if the whole "upon further review" comment had to do with her seeing what an ass she was on the show.

I think some lady needs her hormones/something checked.

*Sigh* I was a Pentecostal. And I believed in all this shit too. Spiritual warfare. And that demons are all around you and that you have to rebunk them in Jesus' name. This belief almost made me crazy too. Though I was never such a raging lunatic, but inside it did made me paranoid and scared and looking at everything as unclean, demonic etc.

Pentecostalism is the craziest branch of an already crazy religion.

• Like 1

My ex-girlfriend suffered from a psychotic break last September and believed that she could see demons and the "devil in the darkness" was out to get her. Prior to her psychotic break, she had a sort of nebulous new-agey belief in the supernatural, but not a specific belief in god or anything christian... the fact that she went full-bore Pentecostal in her beliefs when she had a legitimate medical reason for being crazy leads me to think that these people who Really Believe™ are all paranoid delusional.

Just my 2¢.

• Like 6

*Sigh* I was a Pentecostal. And I believed in all this shit too. Spiritual warfare. And that demons are all around you and that you have to rebunk them in Jesus' name. This belief almost made me crazy too. Though I was never such a raging lunatic, but inside it did made me paranoid and scared and looking at everything as unclean, demonic etc.

Pentecostalism is the craziest branch of an already crazy religion.

I'm starting to think so too, although the Calvinists give the Pents a run for the money in my book.

I was thinking the same thing. Even the husband is looking worn down by her regular tirades. And that poor little girl.
  • Like 1

I was thinking the same thing. Even the husband is looking worn down by her regular tirades. And that poor little girl.

I know... those girls are never going to forget that moment for sure. Will be a big part of their deconversion story perhaps.

I saw that episode once. I want to hug the little girl--why doesn't Margaret care that she is scaring and embarrassing her family? Maybe she's literally a mental case.

• Like 3

I saw that episode once. I want to hug the little girl--why doesn't Margaret care that she is scaring and embarrassing her family? Maybe she's literally a mental case.

This is "testifying". LOL! I see it as a rant of a bigoted woman who couldn't fit in outside of her Bible bubble world and just absolutely lost her mind.

I see fat people.

• 2 weeks later...

This may be hard to believe, but she sounds a lot like my step father... minus the accent. He's go on rants. I remember him hollering one time because a neighbor had put up a halloween display. Or give long speeches on how all that stuff was evil and ungodly, and dark... man... this brings back memories.

He once had a dream about me being tempted by satan, and made me go talk to a minister because he was sure the dream would come true. The minister was like "yeah... I don't know what to tell you.. just hang in there"

• 1 month later...

What saddens me most about this is how she lays blame on one of her daughters for not praying enough for her.

Those poor children.

• Like 1

What saddens me most about this is how she lays blame on one of her daughters for not praying enough for her.

Those poor children.

The children are always blamed for the sins of the parents. Remember Lot's daughters?

Lot-and-daughters-by-Pound-da-Guercino.jpg

The more I think about that video and how extreme she was, the more I wonder if it's just a caricature. Does anybody know if she was "for real"? The video link above is the only one I've seen.

I mean, I've seen and heard some fucked-up shit, and I've read case studies about stuff worse than what I experienced, myself, but she's become an internet meme, for pete's sake.

In my opinion, a true spiritual warrior knows that the battle is within.

• Like 2

The more I think about that video and how extreme she was, the more I wonder if it's just a caricature. Does anybody know if she was "for real"? The video link above is the only one I've seen.

I mean, I've seen and heard some fucked-up shit, and I've read case studies about stuff worse than what I experienced, myself, but she's become an internet meme, for pete's sake.

I'm pretty sure it's the real deal. I've actually met people like this in person. mental illness and ultra fundamentalist religion go together like bread and butter, peanut butter and jelly and white on rice.

I know someone local to me that thinks the government taps her phone line and hacks into her computers because they want to keep tabs on christians. and she never leaves the house hardly because of "spiritual warfare" everyone she meets is a witch, her neighbors are all casting spells on her etc.

Yes. sadly this stuff is all too real and it makes me really hate humanity collectively some(most) days.

I'm pretty sure it's the real deal. I've actually met people like this in person. mental illness and ultra fundamentalist religion go together like bread and butter, peanut butter and jelly and white on rice.

I know someone local to me that thinks the government taps her phone line and hacks into her computers because they want to keep tabs on christians. and she never leaves the house hardly because of "spiritual warfare" everyone she meets is a witch, her neighbors are all casting spells on her etc.

Yes. sadly this stuff is all too real and it makes me really hate humanity collectively some(most) days.

Oh wow.

I've seen some people at certain events who appeared to really have something wrong with them, and it wasn't simply a matter of them having an ecstatic religious experience (I've seen -- and had -- ecstatic religious experiences in different contexts, and that's different than something like, say, a permanently dazed look or really extreme behavior)... I don't think ecstatic experiences in and of themselves are "crazy." I've also seen in others and in myself how this ideology (belief that demons are "out to get you," and in intentional persecution by "society" or demon-influenced people) can create paranoia. It just got so over the top that I had to wonder... maybe she was playing things up for the camera.

On the other hand, perhaps the TV producers simply did a really good job finding the kind of "subject" they were after. I've heard that about other shows along these lines... producers skipping over the "normal" people in some groups in favor of those on the fringe.

I just Googled her and found that the oldest daughter Ashley was killed in a car accident at the age of 25. Apparently, the little girl in the clip was Ashley's daughter and she is now being raised by that nutcase. Poor little girl. She is going to be seriously F'ed up.

I remember once being in a pente bible study group where they were carrying on about the witches in our town. I asked them why if the victory was won in christ they were so fucking scared of everything and everyone. Not one of them could answer the question. They actually all encourage each other to be completely stupid, led along by fear and the need for social acceptance. As much of a true believer as I was, I never found it necessary to involve myself in their rolling around the floor, being slain in the spirit or chasing the witches. Groups, no matter what kind they are can and do turn people into idiots.

Happens everywhere, in churches, politics and workplaces. People are easy to manipulate.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

"Maybe women everywhere should cast aside their Burkas. Maybe then they would do what they are told, because they would be free to do whatever they want"

Who first said that?