Goodbye Jesus

"god Is Good"

SoftIce

I hate this phrase. It's always muttered over the most mundane, 1st world problem someone can conjure up as well. You found that 20 dollar bill in your jean pocket, 'God is Good', your computer was fixed (thanks to a tech) 'God is Good', you didn't miss your appointment, 'God is Good'... yada yada.

Well what about all the fucking starving kids over in Africa, huh?!? Or even teh damn starving kids in AMERICA, or what about the ones being abused or raped right when you're saying how Good God is that HE found your car keys. Sorry, but God must have some fucked up priorities if he chooses YOUR puny little issue over someone's REAL issue, like hunger or abuse.

I hate this phrase. It's always muttered over the most mundane, 1st world problem someone can conjure up as well. You found that 20 dollar bill in your jean pocket, 'God is Good', your computer was fixed (thanks to a tech) 'God is Good', you didn't miss your appointment, 'God is Good'... yada yada...

Someone smashes the morontheist's face in with a lead pipe and then rolls him over with a fucking steamroller... and I'm watching with an evil grin and proclaiming "gawd is good" too, let's see how they'll like that :crazy:

The problem is that the people muttering this phrase in my life are honestly good people, if not a bit on the annoying side when it comes to religion. It's more like I feel like bashing my head into a wall whenever I hear one of them say it or yelling 'BUT WHAT ABOUT AFRICA?!!!!!' at them.

Yes it makes no sense. It's basically the morontheist version of Orwellian quacktalk. Can it be annoying? Of course. :vent:

God is good, with a side of mint jelly.

• Like 1

It's what terrorists say as they detonate the bomb.

"ALLAH AHKBAR"

"ALLAH AHKBAR"

Forgot about that

Yet another similarity between christards and muzzies

you've probably seen this already, but i just love it

• Like 1

"ALLAH AHKBAR"

Forgot about that

Yet another similarity between christards and muzzies

cultures-but-in-our-culture-you-can-be-da-bomb-more-than-onc-demotivational-poster-1267559084.jpg

• Like 2

Did anyone else ever learn this one:

pastor: "God is good"

congregation: "All the time"

pastor: "And all the time"

congregation: "God is good"

• Super Moderator

Christians (and others) need to constantly reinforce the idea that their god exists or he fades into the light of reality. Frequent indoctrination sessions, supportive literature and song, and repetitive mantras in daily life that reiterate how wonderful their imaginary deity is are needed to maintain belief in the preposterous. I think it's rather sad.

• Like 1

In my opinion, saying and believing "god is good" is simple confirmation bias and more specifically an attempt to resolve the cognitive dissonance that comes from believing in an invisible sky daddy.

I've used the following example with several xians and none of them can answer it. They just respond with some version of "you just have to have faith".

Someone has a serious illness and everyone prays for them. There are three basic outcomes:

Outcome #1. That person is healed. Even if doctors, surgery, and difficult rehabilitation was used, the conclusion is that "God is good".

Outcome #2. That person is partially healed. The conclusion is that "It could/should have been much worse. God is good".

Outcome #3. The person is not healed, and perhaps they pass away. The conclusion is that "God knows best. They are in a better place. God is good".

In all three outcomes, i.e. no matter what, "God is good".

I tried those lines throughout my deconversion. They helped me hold on to my faith a little bit longer, but eventually I realized they were a lie. People keep telling themselves "God is good. God is love." but don't even think about what those words mean.

Christians (and others) need to constantly reinforce the idea that their god exists or he fades into the light of reality. Frequent indoctrination sessions, supportive literature and song, and repetitive mantras in daily life that reiterate how wonderful their imaginary deity is are needed to maintain belief in the preposterous. I think it's rather sad.

That was definitely my experience. When I decided not to attend indoctrination sessions, avoid cult church members, and not think about Jeebus...the whole thing evaporated.

In my opinion, saying and believing "god is good" is simple confirmation bias and more specifically an attempt to resolve the cognitive dissonance that comes from believing in an invisible sky daddy.

I've used the following example with several xians and none of them can answer it. They just respond with some version of "you just have to have faith".

Someone has a serious illness and everyone prays for them. There are three basic outcomes:

Outcome #1. That person is healed. Even if doctors, surgery, and difficult rehabilitation was used, the conclusion is that "God is good".

Outcome #2. That person is partially healed. The conclusion is that "It could/should have been much worse. God is good".

Outcome #3. The person is not healed, and perhaps they pass away. The conclusion is that "God knows best. They are in a better place. God is good".

In all three outcomes, i.e. no matter what, "God is good".

I remember a time when I was in the cult and a good friend was showing me how to deal with questions while evangelizing. Basically, when confronted with logical retort he told me to respond with "Well, I believe..."

Don't engage logic, ignore logic.

:-) Like Florduh said, it is a mantra (and later on, obsession)...no matter what happens "God is good."

Yes, the churchies threw that at me every Sunday. They had a serious naïveté disorder.

I hate sayings such as that because they have no meaning. What's "good" to one person is not "good" to another. Christians often say "God is good" to justify the mass murder in the bible. Their simple logic is that because God is good, the mass murder of those people must also be good. Oh sure, it doesn't sound good to us, but God's ways are always higher. "Good" becomes defined by whatever they say it is. It's one of the many ways Christians distort semantics in their favor.