Goodbye Jesus

Mother Theresa

Poonis

There is a show about mother theresa on TV as I type this, to which my girlfriend Chris is watching. Currently, I have had about 5-6 glasses of wine, and I pop the obvious drunken question: "For all the good that this poor woman has done for mankind, who more deserved to get her brains fucked out and puff the mighty herb of god afterwards, than mother theresa?"

Having been deemed 'crass' and now neglected by my love, I ask ExC thus: Am I too drunk and too crass to wonder why such a good woman should be denied such wonderful experience?

I blame the catholic church.

There is a show about mother theresa on TV as I type this, to which my girlfriend Chris is watching. Currently, I have had about 5-6 glasses of wine, and I pop the obvious drunken question: "For all the good that this poor woman has done for mankind, who more deserved to get her brains fucked out and puff the mighty herb of god afterwards, than mother theresa?"

Having been deemed 'crass' and now neglected by my love, I ask ExC thus: Am I too drunk and too crass to wonder why such a good woman should be denied such wonderful experience?

I blame the catholic church.

Interesting thoughts, Poonis.

I honestly believe this is what she wanted......to give her life to helping others. You should read some of her books for a different perspective.

Now....about that mighty herb...... :close:

Complete bullshit. Mother Theresa ran her so called poor houses and hospitals as if they were concentration camps. She was an evil bitch who enjoyed watching people suffer. Watch Penn & Teller's Bullshit episode on Mother Theresa or pick up and read a book about her not written by a church if you want to see who the real Mother Theresa was. If there actually is a God like Mother Theresa thought, this women will be in hell. Sorry, I just get sick at my stomach when I hear people promote the ridiculous idea that this was a good woman.

Complete bullshit. Mother Theresa ran her so called poor houses and hospitals as if they were concentration camps. She was an evil bitch who enjoyed watching people suffer. Watch Penn & Teller's Bullshit episode on Mother Theresa or pick up and read a book about her not written by a church if you want to see who the real Mother Theresa was. If there actually is a God like Mother Theresa thought, this women will be in hell. Sorry, I just get sick at my stomach when I hear people promote the ridiculous idea that this was a good woman.

Wow Chad, different prospective. hmm...my prospective of nuns is that they are too mean and/or ugly to get a husband, so they marry God because only God will have them.

I know some people who were in Catholic run orphanages and they all tell of horrific abuse at the hands of the nuns.

I would suppose that the Catholic propoganda machine wanted to make Mother Theresa the glorified humanitarian, but as usual they left out important information regarding her.

Taph

Wow...okay. :twitch:

I'll check it out from your perspective next time.

Me too. :) Tell you gf to have some wine and losen up. ;)

Maybe chad is right; I don't know. I've sobered up a bit since half a box of wine. The show I was watching *while under the influence* did portray her as a 'saint'. I forget the channel.

Nuns in general tend to be unemotional and somewhat stern. I would never have left my child in their care under any circumstances. Same reason I never put my kids into Catholic School system.

I have never seen anything negative about her. I would be interested in a link if you have one. Why would the church deify some nasty bitch tormenting the desperate, did she blow the pope or something?

If she was who she has been publicly portrayed to be, it seems her death is a loss to mankind.

I don't know much about it, but this smells like BS propaganda likely put together by someone with an agenda of some sort. I would guess the truth is closer to somewhere in between.

I've read this stuff too. I'll see if I can dig some of it up. If Penn & Teller did a show on it, I'm willing to bet that there is truth to it.

If I don't make it back to this thread with the info before you do, Chad, perhaps you could post some?

Maybe chad is right; I don't know. I've sobered up a bit since half a box of wine. The show I was watching *while under the influence* did portray her as a 'saint'. I forget the channel.

You drink wine from a box? Ew.

Here's what a quick search of "dark side of mother teresa" on google will find.

http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/topics.do?topic=htt

http://www.meteorbooks.com/introduction.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1464889

http://www.btinternet.com/~eighty/page62.htm

http://www.seekwellness.com/wellness/reports/2004-03-25.htm

MT was ultra-reactionary and fundamentalist even in orthodox Catholic terms. In 1996, she worked to create a ban on divorce and remarriage as part of Ireland’s state constitution (her side narrowly lost).

MT was a friend of poverty, not a friend of the poor. She considered suffering a gift from God, noting that “the suffering of the poor is something very beautiful and the world is being very much helped by the nobility of this example of misery and suffering.” Hitchens notes that MT “spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction.”

MT was a friend to “the worst of the rich, taking misappropriated money from the atrocious Duvalier family in Haiti (whose rule she praised in return), praising the Albanian dictator Enver Hoxha and accepting funds from Charles Keating of Lincoln Savings and Loan fame.”

MT did not use the millions she collected to make improvements to the rundown, primitive hospice in Calcutta that was “rudimentary, unscientific and miles behind any modern conception of what medical science is supposed to do.” This impoverished image of the facility was key to MT’s fund-raising, but monies collected for this purpose were used instead to discourage birth control, abortion and sex education in undeveloped countries and to open 500 convents in 120 countries. However, when she got sick, MT preferred to be treated in modern clinics in California.

MT is used by the Religious Right and fundamentalist Protestants as a poster girl for the right-to-life wing in America. She was used as the example of Christian idealism and family values, of all things, by Ralph Reed - the front man of the Pat Robertson forces. That's a symptom of a wider problem Hitchens called "reverse ecumenicism," an opportunist alliance between extreme Catholics and extreme Protestants.

MT did not use the millions she collected to make improvements to the rundown, primitive hospice in Calcutta that was “rudimentary, unscientific and miles behind any modern conception of what medical science is supposed to do.” This impoverished image of the facility was key to MT’s fund-raising, but monies collected for this purpose were used instead to discourage birth control, abortion and sex education in undeveloped countries and to open 500 convents in 120 countries. However, when she got sick, MT preferred to be treated in modern clinics in California.

I don't care to defend MT as she was just another nut who believed in fairy tales and was motivated by the same idiotic ideology that plagues the rest of the church.

I would like to try and defend the concept of truth. I occurs to me that much of the criticism here is just political spin. So she took money from a supposedly bad man. So she didn't destroy her cash cow by tearing down and rebuilding facilities that served to encourage others to reach deeper into their pockets. These are not great sins in my book. If she misappropriated funds and lived a Lear Jet lifestyle I might be more inclined to agree that her motives should be judged more harshly.

The statement in quotes above however is damning. This and things like it is why MT and xtians in general do more harm than good. Their foolish ideas of what constitutes morality causes them to put god's laws ahead of human suffering to the effect of causing even more suffering. This is what is truly shameful here in my opinion.

The statement in quotes above however is damning.

That statement in quotes above read much like a LOT of the information that I used to have in my archives on this matter. The only thing is, is that I lost most of my archive, and therefore, I don't have a lot of it to give here. :HappyCry:

It goes on and on. Stories about how she treated her help like shit, and stored away millions of dollars of donations that nobody knows where it went to.

She was no "saint", but she was definitely a "MOTHER". :scratch:

Here is a nice little piece from Postive Atheism. :HaHa:

Cliff Walker won't post stuff on his site just for the sake

of smearing someone. He posts it there because it has

been researched and proven.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/mother.htm

I read that Mother Theresa didn't want the dying to be given painkillers.

I've read this stuff too. I'll see if I can dig some of it up. If Penn & Teller did a show on it, I'm willing to bet that there is truth to it.

If I don't make it back to this thread with the info before you do, Chad, perhaps you could post some?

Here are couple of places you can find info about the real Mother Theresa aside from the links other people already posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Theresa#Criticism

Read the criticism section on her.

http://www.saintmychal.com/hitchens.htm

Christopher Hitchen's take on Mother Theresa.

Also, for anyone curious, the Penn and Teller Bullshit! spisode about Mother Theresa and other so-called spiritual leaders is from Season 3 Episode 5, and the title of the show is "Holier than thou."

Penn and Teller's episode about spiritual leaders like Mother Theresa also mentioned another fraud, the Dalai Lama and Gandhi. They really tore through the Dalai Lama's myths to reveal what he really was- a theocratic dictator.

Just to add a little bit to the anti-MT list...

...remember that website I once dug out of the great net, www.creationtheory.org?

Somewhere on that site, Mr Wong - who comes across as quite a brilliant person who does some thorough research before posting something, if you ask me - includes his own criticism of MT. It doesn't read much different from this thread's first "anti-MT" posting.

Of course, strictly speaking this is not proof of anything - Mr Wong could be wrong there. But if I consider the quality of the rest of his site, this seems very unlikely indeed.