Goodbye Jesus

Would A Deconversion Romance Story Sell In The Real World?

sjessen

I am working on a deconversion romance story and every now and then the thought crosses my mind about whether it will sell. Publishers publish all kinds of stories, but attack Christianity? Not sure any publishing house would want to take a chance with that (assuming my writing is otherwise acceptable). I suppose I would have to self-publish through amazon.

What are your thoughts? I suppose this is worth it to me to put in the time and effort to write this story as a sort of catharsis, but I am curious too about who might buy it. Part of me wants to do it for the "fun" of it, but part of me is practical and doesn't want to waste my time if it will be a complete failure.

In the plot, a minister with doubts meets an ex-Christian woman and ends up leaving the church.

Maybe I need to believe in it and forget about the rest?

Guest Valk0010

I suspect, it probably wouldn't judging by how successful a movie that was done last year about a sort of similar subject was. The movie, the ledge, which was about a christian ruining the life of a atheist, flopped. I am not sure if people are interested.

I suspect, it probably wouldn't judging by how successful a movie that was done last year about a sort of similar subject was. The movie, the ledge, which was about a christian ruining the life of a atheist, flopped. I am not sure if people are interested.

I haven't heard of that movie. I'll have to check into it. I'm amazed someone even produced it! I see a lot of books cropping up about people leaving the church, especially ministers. I also read that young people leaving the church now is a huge deal. So I am wondering if it would be pertinent in light of this.

I think it depends on whether it is a well-wrtten love story with some deconversion parts skillfully woven in or whether it is a well-written deconversion story with a love story skillfuly woven in. I think the former could be a seller but I'm not so sure about the latter. If the crux of the story is deconversion, things like the Bible having contradictions, original sin, and all of that, it would consume a lot of dialogue which might tend to get boring when set forth in a work of fiction. On the other hand, if you have a minister who falls madly in love with a woman who has deconverted and the minister knows he could never marry such a woman and continue in the ministry and so is forced to choose between the love of his life and his ministry, that could create some good dynamics which might sell.

Oh, another thing about the story, she is an ex-Christian, but not an atheist. They both end up still believing in God. I thought that would make it a little more palatable for a general audience as there are many people who believe in God but don't like religion.

I think it depends on whether it is a well-wrtten love story with some deconversion parts skillfully woven in or whether it is a well-written deconversion story with a love story skillfuly woven in. I think the former could be a seller but I'm not so sure about the latter. If the crux of the story is deconversion, things like the Bible having contradictions, original sin, and all of that, it would consume a lot of dialogue which might tend to get boring when set forth in a work of fiction. On the other hand, if you have a minister who falls madly in love with a woman who has deconverted and the minister knows he could never marry such a woman and continue in the ministry and so is forced to choose between the love of his life and his ministry, that could create some good dynamics which might sell.

That makes a lot of sense. The latter is how I was planning on telling the story: a romance with a deconversion taking place.

I think it might, depending on how you write it and which publisher gets it. Waterbrook Multnomah and Bethany House wouldn't, obviously. Random House would. With the growing number of non-Xians, it could catch on. We'll buy it, of course. :) When do you think it will be done? I'll keep my eyes open.

• Like 2

Ohmygod that movie has patrick wilson i saw him in the trailer a minute ago cause i looked it up and i guessed it was him he is so hawt and was in phantom of the opera in 2004 which is one of my favorite movies he was raoul i must see this movie now thank you so much!!!

• Like 1

Given the budget, and the intentions behind the movie, I'd say it only flopped if anyone expected it to be a blockbuster, which I doubt. I think that movie accomplished more or less what it set out to do. And it was good.

I think it might, depending on how you write it and which publisher gets it. Waterbrook Multnomah and Bethany House wouldn't, obviously. Random House would. With the growing number of non-Xians, it could catch on. We'll buy it, of course. smile.png When do you think it will be done? I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks so much Lillith! I have been looking at publishers on the Writer's Market website and found that some are definitely Christian in tone, but some publish occult stuff and are also interested in romance, so I am hopeful I could find someone who might take a chance. It will depend on how well I write it! I'm not sure when I will have it done. I have a good start on the characters and setting. This is my first book, so I am learning the ropes at this point. I hope I will be able to knock it out fairly soon. We'll see though!

Given the budget, and the intentions behind the movie, I'd say it only flopped if anyone expected it to be a blockbuster, which I doubt. I think that movie accomplished more or less what it set out to do. And it was good.

Yeah, wow, some really big names in it! I ordered it through Netflix. Looking forward to seeing it.