Goodbye Jesus

America's Getting To A Crossroads And The Fears And Hopes Of A Non American

Onyx

It got Bush twice inflicted upon the world, so America crossed that crossroad twice. But if for the third time, it gets Romney inflicted upon us, he would not be only stupid but extremely insulting to people. I mean, he managed to piss off countries right on their home turf in mere hours. If that's not some sort of alienation world record, then I don't know what is. Wendyshrug.gif

*Warning: The following would be controversial Wendystop.gif *

If most of America vote to self defeat again, then intelligent and decent Americans, please move to Canada or fight for that tradition of real freedom. You're going to need real freedom. Big sodas (the Bloomberg ban) aren't important, big guns aren't important (the gun control debate) and tough prison sentences aren't important (the law and order debate) these are probably the issues that needs sorting out later (or too petty to even think about)

The thing that I hope the most for America is for it to see the real issues: the Citizen United ruling; the abolition of Glass-Steagall Act; the overreaching of big companies on intellectual property laws and ruling; the military and government going on unnecessary adventures in other countries; the constant cynical propping up of dictators and scary groups to keep these mewling nations under profit controls; the banks dispossessing and bilking people who are not the richest Americans; the excess distrusting of welfare and labour voices; thoughtlessness towards minorities; disentangling the spider's web of religion and politics; business and politics; lobbying for both business and religion in offices of the USA governments; the clarification of the very obfuscated debate on climate change; excessive deregulation of business and politics; candidates being bought by Super PACs; spineless media; and the many people living under the poverty line.

*End of controversial stuff*

And then I hope a big change comes upon America so it can be better rather than worse. It really breaks my heart that it's a country with so much to offer and every so often it squanders its potential through so much dysfunction, ignorance, obfuscation and lies. :(

I know America can be better than this. It was once and it can be again. It is at a crossroad. A crossroad that will effect the rest of the world, not just itself. Through your self destruction or your reconstruction, you would affect the rest of us. I hope it can be the latter, however much you need to hold your collective noses and wade through the creek of shit that has been built up and flowing through to get through. Fingers crossed. LeslieHappyCry.gif

• Like 1

We would need such a change in pretty much all the world, sadly. But you're right.

The only solution is to educate people. The problem is that faith is the vaccine to prevent education infections.

America is no different today than it was throughout it's history.

I think that's true. What's slightly different are wedge issues being broadcast 24/7 picking at the sore of polarization never letting it scab over. It makes it difficult to sit down with an American and just have a beer unless you are on the same issue page with him.

The issues are.

The issues are.

I think you might be surprised.

I have long followed politics, so I have some strong positions on this that might offend some here. But, I reached those conclusions after reading actual legislation, talking to legislators about specific issues and checking who pays whom. I also fact check everything I have a question about. I have been very active in politics since the late 70s. I cried when Reagan won. Really. I knew he was going after the middle class and was out to destroy unions--the one thing beyond my work ethic that ever helped me get ahead.

Follow the money. It tells you a lot. And believe me, most people do not look beyond propaganda. The news in America is mostly crap. Most Americans do not realize how much they are lied to today.

Personally, I cannot vote for any Republican that wants to reduce taxes on the wealthy, or any Dem either. Screw that.

I agree with you Onyx. Wife and I were talking last night about how ridiculous political advertising is, when both sides are avoiding the real issues like a political Deepak.

I empathize with LGBT issues, but CFA gets 3 days national news coverage when unemployment and debt are killing us?

NC will undoubtedly go with Romney, so my vote will be in protest only, but lets hope others see Mitt as he is: Bush with less tact.

I have long followed politics, so I have some strong positions on this that might offend some here. But, I reached those conclusions after reading actual legislation, talking to legislators about specific issues and checking who pays whom. I also fact check everything I have a question about. I have been very active in politics since the late 70s. I cried when Reagan won. Really. I knew he was going after the middle class and was out to destroy unions--the one thing beyond my work ethic that ever helped me get ahead.

Follow the money. It tells you a lot. And believe me, most people do not look beyond propaganda. The news in America is mostly crap. Most Americans do not realize how much they are lied to today.

Personally, I cannot vote for any Republican that wants to reduce taxes on the wealthy, or any Dem either. Screw that.

I'm wet behind the ears when it comes to politics (and most things GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif) so I love listening to what people have to say. Wendyeaves.gif

That being said, I CAN'T WATCH THE NEWS!!!! Constant negativity (which is used as revelation ammo), nothing but bias, and sometimes nothing but lies. I just don't see how any of this is news. There's always been natural disasters, drugs, gangs, corrupt politicians, ect. I'm really not sure whether we are becoming more aware of these things happening or whether they are actually happening more often. I know that the numbers are increasing, but the number of people in the world are increasing, so wouldn't it make sense that the number of social problems would too?

I know that the numbers are increasing

How do you know this?

Because this guy has numbers... and charts... that say otherwise ;)

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228340.100-steven-pinker-humans-are-less-violent-than-ever.html

• Like 1

Thanks for the warning signs on the "controversial stuff." As it happens, several of the issues you consider less important are the ones I think are huge, while many of the ones important to you are ones I consider to be mere sideshows.

That said, IMHO, voting for either of the inept clowns running for president is self-defeating.

Obama has already demonstrated he can't "solve" anything, hasn't got the first clue about economics, and is just another liar when it comes to civil rights (e.g. Gitmo, no torture, openness, backing off on the war on drugs). Romney hasn't got a clue, having never before stepped outside his country club world.

The real issues -- which I consider to be perfectly encapsulated within the Bill of Rights -- with amendments 9 and 10 being just as vital as all the rest -- aren't being addressed at all. Both parties are beating each other over the head about 1/2 of 1 percent of our problems while hoping we won't notice.

On one thing I do agree with you, though. It might be time to move to Canada. Or New Zealand.

I know that the numbers are increasing

How do you know this?

Because this guy has numbers... and charts... that say otherwise wink.png

http://www.newscient...-than-ever.html

Why do so many people think we live in incredibly violent times?

I think there are a number of systematic biases, what I call "historical myopia" being one of them. The closer you get to the present, the better the records are, and I think this is a major distorter of our impressions of violence. We know about every massacre that has taken place close to the present, but the ones in the distant past are like trees falling in the forest with no one to hear them.

Hmmm....interesting! I thought record keeping would have something to do with the higher rates of violence seen today, especially with modern media, but I didn't think it would have as big of an effect as convincing us that we are more violent than ever when the opposite it true.

I found this site: http://www.syracuse....etting_mor.html

• The number of people killed in battle — calculated per 100,000 population — has dropped by 1,000-fold over the centuries as civilizations evolved. Before there were organized countries, battles killed on average more than 500 out of every 100,000 people. In 19th century France, it was 70. In the 20th century with two world wars and a few genocides, it was 60. Now battlefield deaths are down to three-tenths of a person per 100,000.
  • The rate of genocide deaths per world population was 1,400 times higher in 1942 than in 2008.
  • There were fewer than 20 democracies in 1946. Now there are close to 100. Meanwhile, the number of authoritarian countries has dropped from a high of almost 90 in 1976 to about 25 now.

Which is something I did not know! Thank you!

No problem. It's a commonly held belief that few people think to actually research as they whistfully dream of the "good ol days"

Guest Babylonian Dream

What you are saying is controversial only to those who don't really give a damn about reality, but just want some banner to wrap themselves in and scream and rage like a rabid dog under.

On one thing I do agree with you, though. It might be time to move to Canada. Or New Zealand.

Easier said than done. Most countries that you would want to move to (in other words, countries that aren't total shitholes) don't want us there unless we have specific skills that they need, and even then only in limited numbers. There is no "America" for pissed off Americans to move to.