Goodbye Jesus

Why Can't Christians Ask The Same Questions To Themselves?

silentknight

So, I really love to watch shows about science, and the universe. Especially ones about unproven science... I find it interesting to see what current hypotheses are being studied by the various scientists out there. A problem with any TV show on these matters, of course, is they by necessity have to skimp down on the science to explain it all in a short period of time. Sometimes, it can sound like they're taking wild illogical leaps without evidence, because the show doesn't take the time to explain all the research that led there.

Often my wife and I will get into discussions after the show where she will ask me how they know such and such. I'm no expert obviously, but since I tend to read sciencey stuff as a hobby, I try my best to answer. She will often keep dissecting the question down to the lowest level, like how did they discover the speed of light, etc. And then when I send her an article on that she tries to find inconsistencies in that. I think it's marvelous that she demands proof in science. That's the whole point! However, when it comes to religion... that just "is"? She doesn't need answers to even the simplest questions of how anything in the bible exists?

When you've been indoctrinated there is no need for evidence because you have no other world view to compare too.

• Like 1

Silentknight, what you are referring to is the Outsider Test for Faith (OTF). One performs the OTF when they scrutinize and question their own religion with the same standards of evidence that they question the religions of others. Very few people have the courage to look at their own religion this way.

There was a time, that even the best atheist in the world, with the best arguments, could NOT have convinced me that the story of Adam, Eve and the talking serpent wasn't true. That how powerful belief can be!

Good question, silentknight. And I think a good answer (at least a partial one, and very interesting) was given in an article on this very site:

http://new.exchristian.net/2012/07/ignorance-begets-confidence-dunning.html

Good question, silentknight. And I think a good answer (at least a partial one, and very interesting) was given in an article on this very site:

http://new.exchristi...ce-dunning.html

Good point.