Goodbye Jesus

Sometimes I Wish I Still Believed In Ghosts.

JoeCoastie

Its one of the trade offs that come with a more rational mind, sadly some things lose a bit of the ol' magic. I used to be fascinated by ghosts, but in losing religion I also lost belief in pretty much all things supernatural. Now cemeteries are just land with granite slabs sticking out and old houses are just old boards. Just as Christmas is not as much fun when you learn the truth about Santa. I know its silly and irrational, but I loved the bit fear I felt reading ghost stories or exploring "haunted" sights.

Do any of you have a non-religious supernatural beliefs you miss? Or if you still believe some of these things discuss.

I was pretty much always a skeptic. Though horror movies and scary stories could scare me as a child.

This is an interesting topic to me for the same reasons you've mentioned.

I can't say i've ever believed in ghosts or spirits, mainly because i've never experienced anything that would convince me there is such a thing.

But, i've always been interested in the possibility that there might exist some type of emotional or intellectual entity that we can't observe in any meaningful way - or at least not that we've figured out.

Even though I don't believe in "god", I do believe in humans (because we're real), so that's why I don't totally rule out the possibility that some form of us remains after physical death. I won't call it a "soul" because that is a religious term, but maybe some form of energy.

As always I keep my mind open to evidence that supports the existence of non-human entities, but until I have any....

Why don't you believe in ghosts anymore??? no one knows what happens when we die, it's quite possible that people become ghosts, there's no proof that we don't.

The other day, a Christian friend was annoying me with his beliefs, at one point he was saying, there's no reason why ghosts and UFO's don't exist, even though i demand evidence, there's no reason why i wouldn't find this topic and the hunt for truth very interesting, don't let your beliefs or lack of, stop you from enjoying someone, as long as it's legal,

I know what you mean. I watched a Dr. Phil show on mediums/psychics, and he polled the audience. It was around 80% who believed, 20% not. The entire episode was the stupidest demonstration of "proving" their gifts ("someone in this room has a dad/grandfather/uncle whose name starts with B? I'm getting a B sound..."). As if our departed loved ones whisper "bbbbbbbb -- my granddaughter will totally know what that message means".

At the end of the show, he polled again, and a higher percent believed. At one time in my life I would have unquestionably believed, because the Bible says these people exist but we must not go them for answers. Dr. Phil people also brought in one skeptic, and he was called "bitter" and "angry" by the mediums. But he made the most sense to me, and did not seem bitter or angry, but flabbergasted at people's quickness to believe something based on the appeal to their emotions.

Why don't you believe in ghosts anymore??? no one knows what happens when we die, it's quite possible that people become ghosts, there's no proof that we don't.

The other day, a Christian friend was annoying me with his beliefs, at one point he was saying, there's no reason why ghosts and UFO's don't exist, even though i demand evidence, there's no reason why i wouldn't find this topic and the hunt for truth very interesting, don't let your beliefs or lack of, stop you from enjoying someone, as long as it's legal,

I started seeing them as I see religion. Just not really any evidence only anecdotal evidence and photographs showing specks of dust illuminated by flash.
  • Like 1

JoeCoastie -- Oh boy, I hear ya. For me, it wasn't ghosts. They always seemed creepy and unappealing, anyhow. But what I do miss is something -- anything -- sublime, magical, and wonderful that can hold up to scrutiny. Miracles. Love. God. Unicorns. Astrology. I don't care. Just let me look at something with my most skeptical eye ... let me research it, parse it, examine it, poke at it, take it apart ... and still find it not only amazing (after all, the universe is amazing), but also numinous and shining with spiritual meaning.

I always felt that god, if he existed, would withstand every question I could ever ask ... and still be sublime. That god and so many other "mysterious" claims fall apart after even the most casual investigation is one of the great disappointments of life.

I do believe that something does survive, however it is not living in the sense that we are. It's like residual energy, sort of a hologram or something and that is what people sense as 'ghosts'. So, while I am pretty much agnostic, I still am fascinated with 'ghosts'. I have had two personal experiences in seeing them, both times it was like a flash of energy.

i have no problem in denouncing ghosts as simply the product of the human mind; it has been shown conclusively that the brain can trick us into 'seeing' or 'hearing' just about anything, regardless of whether it exists or not. the only tricky thing to explain, for me, is the stories like my wife's best friend has, of two people simultaneously seeing the same apparition.

...I still believe in ghosts...sad.png

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I like spooky stories, but though there no ghosts, at least we know Nessie and Bigfoot are real. They're real, aren't they? At least that's what Elvis said last week.

• Super Moderator

• Like 2