Goodbye Jesus

Christians, The Bible And Racism

Habiba

In my personal experience, fundamentalism in its most extreme variants seems to go hand in hand with racism.

At the church I spent 15 years at, members would persistently make issue with people who were Scottish and Irish, to the point that any humour was long gone, and the recipients of the “jokes” were visibly annoyed. On the extremely rare occasions someone who was not white British somehow found their way past the imposing elders, whoever announced their presence would make endless hashes of their name, laughing out loud as they did. If they deigned to speak to any of these people after the meeting they would usually ask offensive questions, such as “Are you a terrorist?” again laughing at their own ‘hilarity’.

Such “joviality” was only the tip of the iceberg. Many members seemed to think white people to be superior to people of any other skin tone. I vividly remember an elder recounting how he had gone to preach at a church in another city where the majority of the attendees were of Afro Carribean descent. He said, with no hint of shame that he announced from the pulpit that “There would be no Black people in heaven” just to see the look on their faces. No one around him condemned what he had said, and he seemed to think there was nothing remotely wrong with his actions.

Hate filled fundy Baptist pastor Peter Ruckman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Ruckman) has even more to say on the matter. Sadly in recent years my mother has come to near idolise him, and believes every ill informed, rambling article in his newsletters and books. He proposes that Black people are the descendents of Ham and as such as meant to serve forever. He also pours endless out endless hate for Muslims and Catholics. He rails against multiculturism and mixed marriages, claiming that the plan of the antichrist is to dissolve all race barriers by having everyone intermarry to the point everyone is the same. Logic here anyone?Wendybanghead.gif

See here for a summary of some of his racist rantings (and comedy gold about aliens too) :

All this slow dripping of racism led my mum, who once upon a time married a Muslim man, and had me, a mixed race child to say that all mixed marriage is categorically wrong and against God. I asked if that assertion meant that on reflection she regretted having me. She hastily denied it, and seemed embarrassed but soon climbed back on the bandwagon ranting on that “God is racist!” She was unable to provide biblical proof, apart from the story of Noah and Ham, which she believed to be justification for slavery among other things. Interestingly, she also uses the Jews cry of “his blood be on us and on our children” in relation to the crucifixion to justify the holocaust.

Has anyone else experienced viewpoints and hypocrisy like this?

• Super Moderator

Yeah, everybody should be white like Jesus. Morons, the lot of them.

Oh, and hello and welcome, Habiba!

Maybe it is fundamentalism produces an extreme closing of the mind.

The concept of "race," is not existent. There is no such thing as a defined race because all races are transfused into one another, I, just as you, have African american genetics within us just as the darkest African has some Caucasian. Everything about race is completely sociological and is bad science.

On another note i would just like to point out how the bible failed to stop rascism, and it was only stopped when the bible had help from extra caricular education and economic changes.

• Like 1

Race is something we make up in our minds. It's how we mark "our tribe" from "not our tribe". And how one divides up "not our tribe" is different depending on where you grew up on Earth. The Old Testament was written during a period of warring city states where genocide and racism were rampant. The New Testament was written after the Roman Jewish war so racism is all over the Bible. It's only natural that Christianity would have the same racism as it's own foundation. The inquisition, colonizing the world and the slave trade were all done while Christianity ruled the Western world.

For some reason a lot of white Christians seem to.think they're superior. There's the old joke that white people think Jesus was white... sadly. For 3 years I was in the only white family in a black church (my stepfather was a church hopper and someehow we ended up there) . We were accepted there but I felt we were never fully trusted... though that may have had more to.do with my step father being insane.

Maybe it is fundamentalism produces an extreme closing of the mind.

Or maybe closed-minded authoritarians are drawn toward morontheism. Not that it matters much, the result is the same... :shrug: