Goodbye Jesus

Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire - Taking On The Big Guns

raoul

The following video shows excerpts from Bart Ehrman, Wm. Lane Craig, and myself showing how deceitful xtian apologists really are. The entire premise Ehrman is saying is that even if only 1 percent of the bible contains mistakes, then how is it inerrant or a god's holy word? To date not ONE xtian apologist has responded to this including Craig. Enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybVtAKuta08&feature=g-upl

• Like 1

Good job Raoul.

Good job Raoul.

Thanks and more will be coming. Hopefully, I will do a better job with my formulating what I've learned in an easier to follow audio..

I enjoyed watching the exerpts and your comments. I'll have to pickup "Misquoting Jesus" - it's one of the few books I haven't read yet. Did they guy who tried to put together a bible containing only the non-error passages ever succeed. I would love to have that and the rejected material on my shelf. It would be like a Jefferson bible - for errors instead of supernatural claims.

So, when you were a christian did you dig into bible study like you now dig into ancient history and document studies? I have a pet theory that when people deconvert they take their "spiritual gifts" with them and discover they were really personality traits and natural abilities. For instance, Dan Barker and Rich Lyons, who used to be preachers, found their niche in podcast outreach to other atheists evaluating life, leading a philosophical charge, and giving advice about life as an atheist - almost like the roll of a pastor/preacher/evangelist. I was always attracted to bible studies that studied book by book, line by line, brought in historical context and discussed deep theological issues from the passages. Now, I'm a voracious consumer of books and podcasts and am looking for a free-thinking philosophical discussion group.

I enjoyed watching the exerpts and your comments. I'll have to pickup "Misquoting Jesus" - it's one of the few books I haven't read yet. Did they guy who tried to put together a bible containing only the non-error passages ever succeed. I would love to have that and the rejected material on my shelf. It would be like a Jefferson bible - for errors instead of supernatural claims.

So, when you were a christian did you dig into bible study like you now dig into ancient history and document studies? I have a pet theory that when people deconvert they take their "spiritual gifts" with them and discover they were really personality traits and natural abilities. For instance, Dan Barker and Rich Lyons, who used to be preachers, found their niche in podcast outreach to other atheists evaluating life, leading a philosophical charge, and giving advice about life as an atheist - almost like the roll of a pastor/preacher/evangelist. I was always attracted to bible studies that studied book by book, line by line, brought in historical context and discussed deep theological issues from the passages. Now, I'm a voracious consumer of books and podcasts and am looking for a free-thinking philosophical discussion group.

No, he was never successful. In fact, as Ehrman's book continues, numerous others tried as well but to no avail. And as I said, the simple premise, in fact the only premise Ehrman was positing was that the bible could NOT be the infallible word of god or god breathed as the fundies like to say. And as I also said in the video, not ONE fundy ever addressed that premise. They all tap danced around it.

Regarding the next question about whether I'd dug into bible studies as a believer as I do now - yes, in fact even more so. I took my bible studies from Falwell's Liberty Home bible college. I did this intentionally even though I was very liberal minded. I'd always suspected that the bible wasn't the holy book they all pushed down our throats but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt and study at a very conservative, ie: fundamentalist, bible school. But even to their credit they taught a couple of things that blew my mind such as one saying a professor used over and over - the bible has been written TO everyone but it's not FOR everyone. In other words, the exegis part regarding things that we can learn by is a far cry from the heumenutical part - any application for the 21st century. Another famous quote of theirs was the word of god without the heart of god is not the word of god. I guess that probably wipes out most of the old testament. LOL

So I took my quest for learning into my deconversion with even more zeal. I'd discovered Ehrman, as I did this site, ironically from some bible thumpers who were trying to trash him. I watched a couple of his videos and was taken immediately by his honesty and intelligence. In addition, one of the Gnostic books I read referenced him numerous times in footnotes so I checked him out for myself. Everything he has written makes complete sense to me especially because I'd suspected much of it even when I was a believer.

Thanks for the response and questions. I also like your description under gods regarding 'none who pay attention to me'. It's a riot because that's exactly my attitude regarding god belief. I really don't give a crap whether one exists or not because from where I'm sitting - so what, right?