Goodbye Jesus

Making Non-Christian Contacts

thesadclown

I had read a blog post here a while back (Thoughts on Revealing Your Unbelief to Friends and Family) and I thought the part about developing non-Christian relationships before introducing difficulties with old Christian ones was particularly insightful, especial for someone like myself. I have never been that gregarious or outgoing, and so it has been difficult for me to make friends. For the most part, I just piggy-backed on my wife's friendships and was friends and acquaintances with her friends (and their husbands). But I realized (after the fact) that this wasn't going to be a good solution after my deconversion since I no longer fit in with a lot of the activities and beliefs they bonded around. I knew I was going to have to make some connections of my own if I was going to be anything but alone and miserable most of the time.

I still haven't worked out my Sunday schedule yet, but I am happy to report that I will be going to a local philosophy discussion group associated with the Fellowship of Freethought in Dallas. It's a tentative step since I just want to see what it's all about and if I can fit myself into it, but it is a big step for myself. It is something I should have done a long time ago (even as a Christian), but my personality and schedule have conspired for too long to keep me out of socializing activities like this. I am hoping something good will come out of this and I can finally start making some non-religious connections and break out of the isolating situation I currently find myself in. I am also hopeful that I can find my way into some of the activities the Brights group has going on as well. They have a lot of family activities going on, although I don't want to rush things with my wife, so that may have to come later.

Thanks again to everyone here for helping me out in this transitional period of my life. This place has been my only non-Christian interaction for some time now, and I'm looking forward to adding some real life acquaintances to the mix. Maybe even some of you who live nearby (I'm in Richardson, Texas).