Goodbye Jesus

Snappy Comeback? "the Fool Hath Said In His Own Heart..."

AuthenticMe

What are some good, snappy comebacks for getting the quote thrown at you "The fool hath said in his own heart 'There is no God?'"

"..., but a person of wisdom comes to this conclusion using his mind."

"Oh, we're quoting scripture? Here's another good one! Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

Psalm 137:9

"But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Matthew 5:22

• Like 3

I saw a Pepsi commercial that said Coke drinkers are stupid.

• Super Moderator

"That is simply an assertion that if you don't share my particular beliefs, you are a fool. Now, go away."

Not a snappy comeback, but truthful.

Someone here on the site had a sig line some time ago "the fool blah yadda... the wise man goes out and announces it to all the world" :fdevil:

...says the fool for christ.

"A witty saying proves nothing." — Voltaire

Tell them the modern usage of fool is not the same that was used in that time period.

Tell them this is just another way to attempt to manipulate people. Nobody likes to be told they're stupid, and people will do what they can to avoid people thinking that way about them. For those who are believers it will discourage them from doubting too much because people and the god they believe in will think they're stupid, and they'd end up on the outer with people they love and respect. Since most people are social creatures they don't want to do anything that will isolate themselves from others.

This can also be used as attempted manipulation for the non believer for similar reasons, and is more effective if the non believer is with a group of believers. They will be put on the spot as the only one who disagrees with the rest of the crowd and will be viewed by believers as a fool. The popular opinion must be the right one according to them. Making another person feel inferior can be an effective way to manipulate them into agreeing with you if they aren't strong enough to stand on their own and realize that what's being peddled is a logical fallacy.

Possible Response:

"That is the word of a man who built himself up by insulting others. Why would you believe him?"

"There is no evidence of any gods. Does that make the whole universe a fool?"

"Of course there is a God. May you be touched by his saucy noodles so you can understand the mystery of his exulted flying spaghettiness."

"It is a fool's prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak."

(Neil Gaiman)

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

"A fool and his money are soon parted. Tithe (or just contribute to church)? How much of a fool does that make you?"

*Whenever I hear a christard call anyone else a fool, that "fool and his money" quote pops into my mind. Always. Immediately.

What are some good, snappy comebacks for getting the quote thrown at you "The fool hath said in his own heart 'There is no God?'"

"The fool doth believe in stupid shit written by bronze age sheepherders."

(Neil Gaiman)

Good one!

"A fool and his money are soon parted. Tithe (or just contribute to church)? How much of a fool does that make you?"

*Whenever I hear a christard call anyone else a fool, that "fool and his money" quote pops into my mind. Always. Immediately.

A fool and 10% of his money are soon parted.

Fuck off.

mwc

• Like 1

(Neil Gaiman)

infinite bump. Most excellent, thank you.

And Harry Potter says that you're a Muggle - do you believe everything you read in books?

"Oh, we're quoting scripture? Here's another good one! Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."

Ok, this one is my favorite so far.

Ok, this one is my favorite so far.

"But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell.

Matthew 5:22

This is a close second.

Just tell them, "well we know what the bible thinks, now what evidence do you have to back the statement."