Goodbye Jesus

P.o.d. Uses F-Word In New Album

RintrahRoars

Well I'm guessing it's been done before, a "Christian" band using the f-word in their songs, but definitely not by a band as big as P.O.D.

Honestly, I listened to this song and thought well fucking done. This seems to me exactly what Jesus was doing when he was hanging out and identifying with sinners, going down to the lowest of lows where religious would never dare tread. I kind of feel like this symbolizes a crack in modern American Christianity. I dunno. Thoughts?

I know there is a large debate dealing with this band in Christian circles rather or not they are "Christian." Ive looked into this, and apparently their theology is very vague and without much relation to most Christian theology.

How edgy! Now I might just consider converting back to fuckin' Christianity.

• Like 1

Jesus, sounds more like a deconversion song than a christian song.

I am sure POD is not considered True Christian ™ material, because their lyrics aren't the usual sterile, cutesy all-about-jebus lyrics that Christians prefer. Also POD is actually a band with talent, unlike pretty much all Christian musicians and bands. So if they happen to say fuck, good for them....

They're Rastafarians, not Christians. They refer to God as "Jah" all throughout their music. The dreds, the Jamaican influence in their music... It's all there.

Track number 13 from their Album Satellite is called, "Without Jah, Nothin."

Track number 8 from the same album is called "The Messenjah" <--- See how they spelled that?

Lyrics from that song...

"Forever blessed, I believe if Jah said it"

They could have said "God" there, but they didn't.

http://en.wikipedia....tafari_movement

• Like 1

yah man, it's Jah. I think the use of the word is more for shock value otherwise not much attention.

their theology is very vague

The theologies of most Christians who aren't theologians or snobs are vague. No surprise here.

Also POD is actually a band with talent, unlike pretty much all Christian musicians and bands.

Agreed.

They're Rastafarians, not Christians. They refer to God as "Jah" all throughout their music. The dreds, the Jamaican influence in their music... It's all there.

If they were Rastafarians it would have been pointed out by fundies long ago. Saying Jah and making music with Rastas doesn't make them Rastas.

Also I nearly pissed my pants when I first realized that the dude featured in Without Jah Nothing was from Bad Brains. They are a legit Rasta band.

If they were Rastafarians it would have been pointed out by fundies long ago. Saying Jah and making music with Rastas doesn't make them Rastas.

I've never heard a Christian refer to God as "Jah" but admit that could just be the case in my little part of the world... However, I've never seen a famous preacher use the term either. POD seems to make a point to do so.

Well this is rather interesting. Just for fun, I looked up a review of this album (Christian, of course) and the main review gave it two fucking stars out of five, just for using a blurred f-word in one little song. He basically did nothing but praise the album, pointing out a few weak songs, and then completely altered his opinion over that one word. Here's a quote:

The usage of such a word directly after the name of Christ is completely disheartening and dirties the most beautiful name on earth. I understand reaching out to a person that doesn't know Christ, but that doesn't mean we have to act or talk like them to accomplish the mission, role-playing or not.

And the comments are great too. One guy basically said that he understood why they would want to use the word, considering the perspective of the song. And then, someone said this:

Christians should be bringing the world to Jesus, not try to take Jesus to the world.

As much as I despise this holier-than-thou attitude of so many christians, I hope they keep it up, if it drives more people away from their religion.

• Like 2

I've never heard a Christian refer to God as "Jah" but admit that could just be the case in my little part of the world... However, I've never seen a famous preacher use the term either. POD seems to make a point to do so.

Or maybe they're just influenced by reggae or are trying to be cool O_O

"This is me, we are him and I am you" I like it.

I remember having one of their cds when i was a christian but never really got into them.

Just downloaded that album. Great so far.

Track number 13 from their Album Satellite is called, "Without Jah, Nothin."

Track number 8 from the same album is called "The Messenjah" <--- See how they spelled that?

Lyrics from that song...

"Forever blessed, I believe if Jah said it"

They could have said "God" there, but they didn't.

http://en.wikipedia....tafari_movement

I'm pretty sure that I read an interview years ago where POD said that they were using "Jah" as the shortened version of "Jehovah." That is indeed the basis of "jah" in the term "hallelujah."

their theology is very vague

The theologies of most Christians who aren't theologians or snobs are vague. No surprise here.

Also POD is actually a band with talent, unlike pretty much all Christian musicians and bands.

Agreed.

Actually a real fundy "King James Only" website, AV1611.org, did bring up this very issue about them being Rastafarians back in the late 90's when POD was just becoming major in Christian Rock and also crossing over into the secular charts. I was very into them at that time along with Project 86 and Living Sacrifice and remember being somewhat alarmed when I read that.

If P.O.D. are Rastas then Living Sacrifice are demon-possessed Satanists zDuivel7.gif

Haven't really listened to this band for a long time, but that's cool about the F-bomb. When I was christian this was a major influence, along with fuckin' relient K and Pillar. I can actually still listen to a little bit of P.O.D. today, can't say the same for the other christian music. I even tried listening to Pillar a few months ago, can't believe I liked that mediocre shit.

And, I was always under the impression that the dude does say Jah for short for Jehovah. But I do think the vocalist smokes weed, though, and christians tend to not like that. ;)