Goodbye Jesus

The Bible's Buried Secrets- Doco Discussion

blackpudd1n

Just posting for anyone interested the Nova documentary, The Bible's Buried Secrets. I watched the second part of it tonight on TV, after dad had told me about it last week. I thought it was rather interesting, I still have to watch the first part of it, but I thought I'd post it here because I would be interested in hearing everyone else's thoughts on the documentary.

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjPLJTAbk64

Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1nSRmsb4uM

• Like 1

My wife and I always enjoyed that show. I think it helped contribute to our deconversion a little.

If this is the same one that was posted somewhere else on Ex-C a while back, then I really enjoyed it. If I wasn't already deconverted when I saw it, it would have made me seriously question everything I believed. I would love to be able to watch it again on Netflix, and have my wife stumble upon it in the "recently watched" cue; sadly, it doesn't seem to be listed there for online viewing.

I'm done part one and will check out part 2 sometime tomorrow. Thanks! I always forget that before Abraham there was NO Israel along with the nauseating laws. The most revealing fact coming out of part 1 was the premise of Israelites actually coming from the Caananite blood line. That is very revealing.

I should be showering and getting my butt to bed, but instead I'm watching this. Fascinating stuff. I can already tell a half hour in that it's hugely challenging to anybody suffering the delusion that the Bible myths are inerrant or historically supported.

Thanks for the link, saw this as I was flicking through the channels last night but quickly changed to something else as I wasn't sure if it was from a christian point of view or a historical one. Didn't want to risk it bring from a christian point of view since my christian sister it's stay

Is staying, with me... Sounds like I should have watched it with her though lol!

I'll try to watch it later.

That said, reading such titles always reminds me of the recently-uncovered true last line of the revelation of john, as posted by one of our folks somewhere in this forum, years ago...

..."Yo man, real good shit. Care to pass me the joint once more?"

:lmao:

lol I stull haven't watched the first part- had a busy day today.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I like the theory they have about the fall of Canaan, but I think its speculative and goes against what we know about the Bible. The Bible's sources at the very least weren't monotheist, the reduction in numbers of gods came later in the edited texts. Hence, we have alot of verses that still talk of many gods. This is my own hypothesis. Also, that the sources were formed as parts parts of texts for different sects, later making it into a unified text. I like the idea of that text being written in Alexandria, but I'm not even sure about that one.

There are a few theories out there. All of them point in one direction though. Also, interesting to note, Israel mentioned in the Egyptian texts could also just be a lookalike.Just like the Akkadian Habiru.

I got done with both parts last night and this morning. Very interesting stuff! I was just blown away by the idea of YHWH being YHW and from Midian. And I already kind of knew that the OT is mythic in nature, but this doco really pounds that point home with a sledgehammer. Fascinating, just fascinating.

I'm confused. I watched the link Pud posted but, I didn't see anything that refuted the bible stories. Is what you are referring to in Part 1?

Guest Babylonian Dream

I got done with both parts last night and this morning. Very interesting stuff! I was just blown away by the idea of YHWH being YHW and from Midian. And I already kind of knew that the OT is mythic in nature, but this doco really pounds that point home with a sledgehammer. Fascinating, just fascinating.

It's interesting to point out though that it is outdated. Though spelled different, the Canaanites and Babylonians DID worship a god by that name (or in the case of the Babylonians, etymologically linked name). Yah, Aya, Ea, Yahu, Yaw, Yawu, Yahweh, they're all linked etymologically as one deity, the creator of mankind according to the texts in the Bible and their Babylonian counterparts. How they fair when compared to Ugaritic and others I'm far less certain.

I'm confused. I watched the link Pud posted but, I didn't see anything that refuted the bible stories. Is what you are referring to in Part 1?

The documentary is in two parts- did you watch both or just the one?

I just remembered that the series my wife and I used to watch was "Mysteries of the Bible." I watched this special post-deprogramming. Any objective study will undermine the bible as a literal, infallable source of historical truth.

I only watched the link you posted, Part 2. I need to find the Part 1, I guess.

I only watched the link you posted, Part 2. I need to find the Part 1, I guess.

I put both parts up- is only one part showing up for you? Here's Part 1, I'll post it below for you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjPLJTAbk64

Very well done doco. I am really hopeful that as more and more people separate from the lie that is Christianity that more of these truthful pieces get made. I think it no exaggeration to say that what the average first-year seminary student sees would devastate the faith of 90% of rank-and-file Christians. We're getting really good (as a society) at pushing ideology, talking points, catchphrases, and dogma, but we've gotten really bad at promoting actual knowledge and teaching people how to judge information and think critically.