Goodbye Jesus

Debunking "Intelligent Design"

Guest marcion

Guest marcion

Comment about the article: "College Course to Debunk Intelligent Design". It's about Dr. Paul Mirecki at the University of Kansas, and the upcoming course at KU: "Special Topics in Religion: Intelligent Design, Creationism and other Religious Mythologies".

It's a good article, but the course does not claim to "debunk" anything. It treats it as a popular, contemporary myth - and examines the texts related to that myth, & how that myth functions in the lives of so-called True Christians.

Would any of us, as intellectuals, set out to "debunk" the Easter Bunny? Wouldn't that imply that the belief holds some scientific credibility to start with?

For those of you who don't know, this college course is at the University of Kansas - in a state that recently mandated the teaching of intelligent design in public schools. And, as you might suspect, the version of intelligent design that has been mandated is by right-wing politically motivated fundamentalist christians.

I personally believe in a mystical force behind the universe. But I have nothing in common with the right-wing fascists and their new version of creationism, nor do I insist that my belief system be forced upon students or be held up to scientific scrutiny. I just believe that everyone benefits from holding a few mystical beliefs, and that's one of mine. It can't be debunked, because there's no evidence for it (or against it) to examine.

Ironically, the right-wingers want to demonstrate "proof" of their beliefs (in labs, in schools, etc), which by definition, means they have no faith in their beliefs.

If they had faith in their beliefs, they would believe them privately, pray their private prayers, leave the rest to god, and stay out of politics.

Comment about the article: "College Course to Debunk Intelligent Design". It's about Dr. Paul Mirecki at the University of Kansas, and the upcoming course at KU: "Special Topics in Religion: Intelligent Design, Creationism and other Religious Mythologies".

It's a good article, but the course does not claim to "debunk" anything. It treats it as a popular, contemporary myth - and examines the texts related to that myth, & how that myth functions in the lives of so-called True Christians.

Would any of us, as intellectuals, set out to "debunk" the Easter Bunny? Wouldn't that imply that the belief holds some scientific credibility to start with?

For those of you who don't know, this college course is at the University of Kansas - in a state that recently mandated the teaching of intelligent design in public schools. And, as you might suspect, the version of intelligent design that has been mandated is by right-wing politically motivated fundamentalist christians.

I personally believe in a mystical force behind the universe. But I have nothing in common with the right-wing fascists and their new version of creationism, nor do I insist that my belief system be forced upon students or be held up to scientific scrutiny. I just believe that everyone benefits from holding a few mystical beliefs, and that's one of mine. It can't be debunked, because there's no evidence for it (or against it) to examine.

Ironically, the right-wingers want to demonstrate "proof" of their beliefs (in labs, in schools, etc), which by definition, means they have no faith in their beliefs.

If they had faith in their beliefs, they would believe them privately, pray their private prayers, leave the rest to god, and stay out of politics.

I would think that a course like this is offered at a college level since thinking and reasoning skills are applied. There are many contemporary issues offered as classes in college. I wonder at what level the course is offered and in what discipline.

I agree with you with you that beliefs are a personal thing and should not infect the masses.

I want to see the sweatshirts sold in the Friends' University of Central Kansas.

All I did was paste the headline that was already on the article. In any case, I would think that debunking means telling people that something is not true, and proving their point with scientific evidence. That is what the word means in popular usage. Certainly, nothing that has to be "debunked" is credible on its own. It is when large numbers of people believe something incredulous, that the incredulous thing gains credibility.

If only one person in the world was Christian, then the religion wouldn't have any credilibity. It's only because so many people are Christian that it has credibility to some.

If there was an extremely popular religious cult built around Easter Bunny worship and that cult invaded our lives, and rammed its beliefs down our throat, yes I would do my very best to debunk it.

I personally believe in a mystical force behind the universe.

That's fine, as long as you don't claim that we all must believe in the Force or attend a Force-worshipping cult to be a good person, or that the Force is the only thing anyone can believe in.

(I don't entirely disagree with the concept of a force, btw, but there is no proof, so I'm not going to claim that it's true.)

I agree. I don't think they do have faith in their beliefs either, and even if everyone in the world was Christian, they still wouldn't have faith. Because deep down, even if they can't admit it to themselves, they realize that it's just a myth.