Goodbye Jesus

Sorry For Ranting So Much Guys, But....

darwinfish

I get an email every time my wife buy's a book on amazon, today's purchase got to me a little with all that I've been going through in my marriage. Here's what she bought,

Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand [Paperback]

"Discouraged by life’s difficulties—both life-shifting catastrophes and the drip-drip-drip of daily trouble? Dissatisfied with the same old pat answers about God’s role in our hard times? Rick Lawrence offers fresh biblical perspective based on a single Scripture snapshot--Luke 22:31-32. Jesus tells Peter he’s about to be “sifted like wheat”—shaken hard, beaten, and agitated until he practically falls apart. Satan’s going to do it. And Jesus is going to allow it, in the interest of showing Peter who he really is. Lawrence uses the simple agrarian metaphor of sifting as a jumping-off point for a rigorously honest, deeply challenging, yet powerfully comforting exploration of the trials that beat us down, the good God who allows our troubles, and the incredible beauty the process of sifting can reveal in us."

This is just such BS, instead of some feel good explanation about why we have hard times, how about reading one damn book as to whether anything in the Bible is true, just one.

Alright, I got it off my chest so I feel better.

• Like 2

...based on a single Scripture snapshot...

Excellent. Christianity needs more doctrines based on cherry-picked single 'snapshot' verses that represent a single misconstrued and biased viewpoint. .

Well you know it already I trust... if rational thinking was involved in morontheism then the latter would not exist anymore. Sadly. Reading books about the truth of da wholly babble falls into the rational category.

What a sucky mess. Fingers crossed for the both of you to be able to still work it out somehow!

I get an email every time my wife buy's a book on amazon, today's purchase got to me a little with all that I've been going through in my marriage. Here's what she bought,

Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand [Paperback]

"Discouraged by life’s difficulties—both life-shifting catastrophes and the drip-drip-drip of daily trouble? Dissatisfied with the same old pat answers about God’s role in our hard times? Rick Lawrence offers fresh biblical perspective based on a single Scripture snapshot--Luke 22:31-32. Jesus tells Peter he’s about to be “sifted like wheat”—shaken hard, beaten, and agitated until he practically falls apart. Satan’s going to do it. And Jesus is going to allow it, in the interest of showing Peter who he really is. Lawrence uses the simple agrarian metaphor of sifting as a jumping-off point for a rigorously honest, deeply challenging, yet powerfully comforting exploration of the trials that beat us down, the good God who allows our troubles, and the incredible beauty the process of sifting can reveal in us."

This is just such BS, instead of some feel good explanation about why we have hard times, how about reading one damn book as to whether anything in the Bible is true, just one.

Satan and jesus working together. That's what I like to see.

• Like 1

Satan and jesus working together. That's what I like to see.

That's a good point, it's like Job all over again. I'm seeing collusion.

What a sucky mess. Fingers crossed for the both of you to be able to still work it out somehow!

Thanks. Some days things seem great, then some days she drinks the kool aide, and goes bat shit crazy with this stuff.

illusion, By any fat chance...do you think she is in a place of confusion in her mind and won't tell you about it?

The reason I ask is because duing the last few years of my 'searching', I read EVERY kind of book that you are speaking of. One of the main reasons that i read these types of books was to find just ONE thing that would make total sense to me in my mind. I was really searching and reading, because of my un-concious unbelief......but I did not recognize this until now. Hundreds of dollars were spent on those books. Does this make any sence?

illusion, By any fat chance...do you think she is in a place of confusion in her mind and won't tell you about it?

Maybe, Margee, but I'm not holding out hope for that. On her Kindle she's been able to get a bunch of Christian books like this for free. So, I know that mostly that's why she's been getting SO many of these books. But, she has never seemed to me as though she might be questioning her faith. It's more like she's immersing herself in Christianity. She only listens to Christian radio stations, does some sort of thing with the church three times a week, and reads things like this. There is an odd duality, because she has a LOVE for sci fi like I do. Last weekend we were talking about when we first were introduced to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (which is highly irreverent). Most of the sci fi we watch, Star Trek for example, seems to come from an atheist perspective, and for some reason she gives it pass.

When I was questioning my faith, I read a ton of Christian books, too. But, I don't know if I was even honest with myself that I might be having doubts. I would have said that I was reading all those books so I can better explain my faith to others. But, it wasn't a far jump for me to be reading Lee Strobel one day, and Dawkins the next.

I've been wondering lately, if more woman like Christianity for the emotional aspects of it. For her, she has told me in the past that she needs to feel forgiven. And, I know when she's sad or depressed, praying makes her feel better. When I talk to her about the logic of it all she refuses to stay with the conversation. Woman, do have more emotional needs then men, and I'm wondering if modern day Christianity is filling some void there. My mom is highly religious. All the woman in my wife's family are religious, while the men in her family seem mostly indifferent towards religion.